Today's JAZZ playlist

Benny Morton and Jimmy Hamilton "Blue Note Swingtets" - Mosaic Records (1986)
View attachment 892008
Swinging it old school this Sunday Night with a Mosaic compilation offering. Not that I have more than a dozen,but it's the only Mosaic I have that doesn't say "____of 7500" on the cover somewhere - is that common?

My John Coltrane "The Complete Sun Ship Session" box set on Mosaic records says it's limited to 3,500 albums. Mine is the 1247 pressing. This is the only Mosaic album I have.

Lady luck has been with me the last couple of days. Went to the ole' local record store today to see if anything interesting showed up within the last month or so. Flipping through seeing nothing but the same stuff that was there last time. All of a sudden a copy of Lee Morgan Sidewinder appears. Very cool I thought. $18 bucks. Must be a 70's black note. Pulled her out of the stack and flipped it around to look at the back cover. No Liberty. Mmmmmm....getting interesting. Pulled out the vinyl and low and behold its an original NY stereo, ear and all. Couldn't believe it. Vinyl looks barely played. I almost feel guilty.

The search continues. Keep flipping, keep flipping and a copy of Duke at Newport appears. Pull the vinyl out...minty fresh....$9. Hallelujah! Up to the counter, hand the man some cash and out the door. Drove away with a huge smile on my face in disbelief. To me, I came upon two works of art today. I might have to go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.

Spinning the Duke as I write...

ellington.jpg lee.jpg

Last edited:
Lady luck has been with me the last couple of days. Went to the ole' local record store today to see if anything interesting showed up within the last month or so. Flipping through seeing nothing but the same stuff that was there last time. All of a sudden a copy of Lee Morgan Sidewinder appears. Very cool I thought. $18 bucks. Must be a 70's black note. Pulled her out of the stack and flipped it around to look at the back cover. No Liberty. Mmmmmm....getting interesting. Pulled out the vinyl and low and behold its an original NY stereo, ear and all. Couldn't believe it. Vinyl looks barely played. I almost feel guilty.

The search continues. Keep flipping, keep flipping and a copy of Duke at Newport appears. Pull the vinyl out...minty fresh....$9. Hallelujah! Up to the counter, hand the man some cash and out the door. Drove away with a huge smile on my face in disbelief. To me, I came upon two works of art today. I might have to go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.

Spinning the Duke as I write...

View attachment 892609 View attachment 892608

Great scores. Keep on hunting. It does payoff. That Sidewinder is a steal.

stfrfltndjzzpn.jpg
sut%20fr%20flt%20%20jzz%20pno%20hlf%20sp%20mstr%202.jpg

Claude Bolling; Jean-Pierre Rampal / Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano
1980 CBS Masterworks

Half Speed Mastered.

My John Coltrane "The Complete Sun Ship Session" box set on Mosaic records says it's limited to 3,500 albums. Mine is the 1247 pressing. This is the only Mosaic album I have.
Thanks for the reply. Yes,the others I own have ( #______ of 7500 as an example) with that set's particular number written in the space-in your case #1247 of 3500. It's no big deal I was just wondering if it was common for some sets as the others I own have the set's number hand written in. I really like the Mosaic LP's if they can be had at a sane price. "Tina Brooks Complete Blue Note" set is always finding it's way to my turntable....
Tina Brooks Blue Note Recordings.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Yes,the others I own have ( #______ of 7500 as an example) with that set's particular number written in the space-in your case #1247 of 3500. It's no big deal I was just wondering if it was common for some sets as the others I own have the set's number hand written in. I really like the Mosaic LP's if they can be had at a sane price. "Tina Brooks Complete Blue Note" set is always finding it's way to my turntable....
View attachment 892700

Mosaic makes excellent sounding records! The prices for Mosaic albums are all over the place, most aren't cheap! My John Coltrane box set was a Christmas present from a dear AK friend.

Here's his debut album which i picked up recently:

I'd love to have a copy of that, so my search begins, I really love a lot of the Columbia stuff. The label seems to have really consistent sound quality during this period..By contrast I've heard some Atlantic stuff from this time frame on which the sound quality really lacks..I didn't mention ,Verve, Blue Note and others as the consistency with those seems to be a given..this is only my opinion based on what I've purchased or heard on quality rigs of friends..

I'd love to have a copy of that, so my search begins, I really love a lot of the Columbia stuff. The label seems to have really consistent sound quality during this period..By contrast I've heard some Atlantic stuff from this time frame on which the sound quality really lacks..I didn't mention ,Verve, Blue Note and others as the consistency with those seems to be a given..this is only my opinion based on what I've purchased or heard on quality rigs of friends..

The two Chris Connor albums on Atlantic that I've played today, the sound quality is the same as a Columbia six eye. Most of the late '50's stuff sounds very good. That vacuum tube stuff back in the day that those albums were recorded and mastered with have a special sound to them. :music:

Back
Top Bottom