Audio Karma Glossary

I have a Sansui G-7500 on my bench. Tuner sticks, plastic gears are stipping. Any thoughts? Rick
Hemi, not sure how your post fits into a glossary thread unless you're posting your unit as an example of FUBAR.

You'll probably have better luck posting your question as a new thread in the Sansui forum.

Due to some recent confusion regarding one of my posts during this thread,beginning at # 45:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/empire-royal-grenadier-9000m-speakers.464709/page-3

I would like to add the following term to the AK Glossary: BSA ( BULL S**T ARTIST )

BSA: This term generally applies to sellers and/or flippers who engage in extremely ''flowery'',long winded prose to describe whatever piece of crap they are selling.

See also: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill,rhetoric,hyperbole

Thanks,

Art

Due to some recent confusion regarding one of my posts during this thread,beginning at # 45:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/empire-royal-grenadier-9000m-speakers.464709/page-3

I would like to add the following term to the AK Glossary: BSA ( BULL S**T ARTIST )

BSA: This term generally applies to sellers and/or flippers who engage in extremely ''flowery'',long winded prose to describe whatever piece of crap they are selling.

See also: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill,rhetoric,hyperbole

Thanks,

Excellent , Art !! Yes !! :beerchug: + :thumbsup: Thanks for providing an elaborate and well defining multiple examples on the Slime Madison Avenue amateur slick sales spiels that the vultures attempt upon us..

Yeah, what the seller has is priceless, but what your trying to sell at a reasonable price is total crap and should be given away..

And I don`t buy or sell anything off CL, or FleaBay, but have seen the amazing bazaar-ness of both !!
Thank you Sir. Well put.. Sorry about that, MUST BE POST HURRICANE IRMA SYNDROM effects, but just had to input my total agreement with you.

Regards, OKB

Art

I want to know a real definition for sibliance as in phono cartridge accuracy.. or harshness??

I'll go you one better.

This is sibilance; when Margot sings "Sweet"...it's the s-s-s-s. It's on the vinyl, the CD, and all digital forms. Magnificent recording.

It's only on the 'S' sound. It can be really annoying if it happens a lot.

Maybe it happens on 'pfft' sounds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibilant

(I love that song. The entire album was recorded straight through. I'm not sure how many 'takes' they had to do, but they wound up with a single 'take' that is nothing short of fabulous.)

Last edited:
How about &^^%)%!! to describe any piece of audio equipment that you realize, thanks to your stupidity or inattention, possibly both, have comprehensively and utterly fried.

LMAO

Chris
Yes Jetaway. as a tech of over 40 years I`ve seen quite a few needlessly damaged pieces of great gear thoughtlessly powered up slam dunked after sitting un powered for decades & of course usually ruining at least the power transformer + , when the caps say bye, bye !!
Often with oversized fuses installed to fix the initial fuse failure !!
Kind regards , OKB

I'll go you one better.

This is sibilance; when Margot sings "Sweet"...it's the s-s-s-s. It's on the vinyl, the CD, and all digital forms. Magnificent recording.

(I love that song. The entire album was recorded straight through. I'm not sure how many 'takes' they had to do, but they wound up with a single 'take' that is nothing short of fabulous.)
That may be the smoothest sibilance I've ever heard. More often it sounds spitty or hissy, at least when produced by poor groove tracing, IME.

i just went through the whole thread and may have missed i but i believe i have seen GOAT posted somewhere in the forums and still can't figure it out

I'll go you one better.

I found myself raising the volume the more I listened. Always the sign of a great song.

OTL=Output Transformer-less. A vacuum tube amplifier which connects directly to the speaker without an intervening output transformer.
NAB=National Association of Broadcasters source of standards for tape reels eq curves etc.
Valve= European Designation for a Vacuum tube coming out of its function as a current valve.
BTW=By The Way
Oh and BTW the term transport was in use long before digital media to describe the physical media handling apparatus of magnetic tape recorders. One could purchase the transport and electronics separately BITD. :)
VAS=Voltage Amplification Stage
PI=Phase inverter an electronic circuit or transformer which provides two signals 180 degrees out of phase to drive push-pull output stages.
PP=Push-Pull
SEP Single Ended Pentode (like SET=Single Ended Triode)
MI=Musical Instrument (as in MI amplifier as opposed to hi-fi)
CrO2=Chromium Dioxide formulation of magnetic tape also known as Chrome tape
ips= Inches per Second indication of recording tape speed.

If I may ask.... What does Ronco or ronco'd mean? I.e... Someone says their setup is ronco'd.

Have a great weekend everyone.

JP

also "jumpers" could be added to the speaker section or speakers mentioned in the jumper sections as they sometimes have them too.

If I may ask.... What does Ronco or ronco'd mean? I.e... Someone says their setup is ronco'd.

Have a great weekend everyone.

JP
It's the shit, man. Like Boss.

They made the Pocket Fisherman, the Veg-O-Matic. It slices, It dices ! You name it, they made it.

Last edited:
OK, new one on me I just saw on AK... TOFL. It appears to be equivalent to TOTL - top of the line. Anyone know what is exactly meant? F-bomb? Hope not!

Back
Top Bottom