Thorens TD160 & Pro-Ject Phono Box S setup

Yetiboy

I'm baaaaaaaack!

Easy one this time. Got my preamp in the mail today, just want to make sure I have it set up properly for my cartridge.

I'm pretty sure I have a Stanton 681EEE mkII S based on researching what came stock with the TD160 mkII, but I'm not 100% sure (pic included for possible confirmation).

Based on what I read here:
https://www.vinylengine.com/cartrid...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

I should be using the following settings:
Input gain = 40dB (seems to be the lowest setting according to the examples in the manual - picture also included) so 1 on, 2 off, 3 on
Input impedance 47kohms (low-output MC cartridge, right?) so 4, 5, and 6 off
Capacitance load 200pF (only options are 100, 200, then up to 320) so 7 on, 8 off

Am I reading the info on both the above site and the instruction manual correctly?

IMG_0203.JPG IMG_0202.JPG

Sounds right. Once you get it going you can experiment with different loading and see if it sounds better. Won't hurt a thing.

Sounds right. Once you get it going you can experiment with different loading and see if it sounds better. Won't hurt a thing.

Okay, good. My concern was potentially doing damage, glad to hear it shouldn't be an issue. And that I'm capable of reading both an instruction manual and data correctly. Thanks!

Stanton 681 series cartridges are not moving coil, but moving iron giving output voltages of about 2.8-5 mV which is basically in line with moving magnet.

Back
Top Bottom