Ultra Sonic cleaner

dmgrant1

Hey,

I just got the cleanervinyl Max kit for ultrasonic cleaning. This kit allows you to clean up to 24 records at a time. However, I bought the "spacers" and will do 6 at a time. Well made and an economical way to get into ultra sonic cleaning. Check it out at cleanervinyl.com

dmgrant1

Visited that site before ... Analog Planet story link as I recall. Looks interesting. Don't like batch cleaning myself ... but it's a cool looking product :cool: for those wanting something turn-key vice DIY.

Last edited:
How does this compare to using something like a VPI 16.5 RCM?

Having owned an HW-16.5 and then an ultrasonic cleaning system, I sold the VPI. The ultrasonic cleaning is much easier. The sound quality is a bit more dynamic. It just sounds better than those cleaned on the VPI. The cleaning process with the VPI was more involved. I had two brushes, two suction wands and two mats. After awhile, I just would forget which one I was using for which process. The ultrasonic is pretty much set it and forget it. The only extra stage is to vacuum the remaining water on the record with a very small shop vac with a suction wand and a cheap turntable to turn the record.

I looked at the cost of the "Max" and it didn't seem bad then I realized it didn't even come with a tank! :eek2:

$500 for a motor, some 3d printed parts and an iPhone charger? Seems gougy to me. Especially when compared to the $189 for the "One" I'm not sure where the extra $300 is.

Duane - Thanks for the info on it being easier to use. Did you notice a significant difference in the actual cleaning ability of the ultrasonic over the RCM? Did the ultrasonic get out more stuff out of the grooves that the RCM?

It's hard for me to say if there's a significant difference since almost all of the LPs I have were cleaned on the VPI first and then later with the ultrasonic machine. What I stated previously about the sonic improvement was noticed immediately.

When I first started cleaning with the ultrasonic machine, I probably did 20-30 records. The tank showed quite a bit of debris floating around. I can't say whether this was material deeply embedded in the grooves that the VPI missed or if it was just the normal amount of dust that collects in the sleeves that transfers to the record surface.

My ultrasonic system can only do three LPs at a time, but I find that is almost more than I can handle. Through personal experience, I have found that neither ultrasonic nor vacuuming alone will remove the crud. But, both together? That is where the magic happens. Ultrasonic cleaning loosens the crud (getting in where felt pads and brushes cannot reach), and the vacuum cycle rinses and clears away what is left behind. I'm doing pretty much what Harry Weisfeld (of VPI) did in his own testing of the ultrasonic and vacuum process (and like him, I noticed the grey-tinged water drained out of the vacuum after rinsing the ultrasonic-cleaned records).

So, short version--if you go ultrasonic, hang onto that vacuum system. ;)

^^"Hang onto that vacuum system"

This is my experience as well. Ultrasonic to disrupt the crud followed by vacuum to rinse/remove remaining contaminants and aid in drying. A hard to beat combo!

I also use my vacuum wand with the ultrasonic, but I don't think I would be wanting to "sardine" as many into the tank like that system does. I also notice they don't have any label protection, so be careful with getting the labels wet. They could be fine, but I'd rather protect them.

Add me to the Ultrasonic to clean / vacuum to rinse camp. After about twenty records, there is visible crud accumulating in the tank- even from records that were previously vacuum cleaned.

And a surprising amount of hair...Forearm hair? Pet hair? I dunno, but glad it's in the tank and not on my records.

I can clean 8 records an hour running them in batches of four through the ultrasonic and vacuum.

You probably were cleaning records from the '80's.

Don't be dissing my taste in music! :D Hair bands rule!

Here's the cleaning station/pantry. It's not as cramped as it looks and it's on casters if I ever wanted to do a marathon session in the big room.

IMG_20170320_223013.jpg

I bought a Vinylstack setup while I am in AZ and I can hardly wait to get back home and do some US cleaning. I also have 2 other cleaning methods so I am going to do a compare to see if one is better than the other or if I should combine 2 methods.

Don't be dissing my taste in music! :D Hair bands rule!

Here's the cleaning station/pantry. It's not as cramped as it looks and it's on casters if I ever wanted to do a marathon session in the big room.

View attachment 892809
hi dcmfan looks like you've got the same chinese ultrasonic cleaner. Cheap in Australia 220aud. and it works well. I am using tapwater with 2 drops of detergent and a few drops of photo negative wetting agent. I am setting the temp at 30C start but it creeps up to 40C at the end of the batch. I use a dowell through the records, separated by clothes pegs so there are 3 on each side of the basket handles.I set for 5mins ,rotate 45 degrees and start again , giving about 20 mins. total. let dry under fan and wipe with new microfibre cloth. Works for me but doesnt remove deep impacted particles that give loud pops .

Back
Top Bottom