After 10 Years or so I am Finally Whole

What an amazing story. Congrats, man. I have a SX-1250 that Mattsd did.

This is her.

man i saw that video on the tube the other day... Metallica sounds awesome.... Would you do one of Sab But True on the 1250... i see your profile says Kentucky, GO CATS...

man i saw that video on the tube the other day... Metallica sounds awesome.... Would you do one of Sab But True on the 1250... i see your profile says Kentucky, GO CATS...

Yes indeed, go Cats!!

Would love to, but my own polks are in storage, and this video was filmed in Matt's spacious home, where those polks can breathe. Thanks for your kind words.

no problem i just re discovered the magic of my dads old 1250 and im trying to repair it now... UK basketball is like a religion up there lol... my moms whole side of the family is from Harlan.... I bleed blue all the way in Sw Florida....

no problem i just re discovered the magic of my dads old 1250 and im trying to repair it now... UK basketball is like a religion up there lol... my moms whole side of the family is from Harlan.... I bleed blue all the way in Sw Florida....

I visited Harlan a year ago with the wife. A bit intimidating, but unbelievable countryside. For the record, my grandfather worked Paradise mines (think John Prine).

But back to the thread topic, rock on with your 1250's, fellow enthusiasts.

I am going to have to provide a disclaimer here, lol. That's my 1250, but the rest of the gear is not mine. This was filmed by Mattsd right after he finished the repair, so all that goodness is his. Strangely enough, I scored some Polk SDA 1-B's right after I got my 1250 back, the ones you see here are Polk SDA 1-C's (difference is the better cabinet, and I think the tweets might be slightly improved).

I do utilize the metal shelving tho. Here's a recent pic.

View attachment 890607

Guess you'll have to save that "first like" for another day, my friend. :rolleyes:

I'll give you guys one guess which is the standout receiver... Uhhumm... Sx...**50:D

The 8500 is in the box, but unpacked. It is on the way to blhagstrom for some much needed help. I shut it down back then because the filter caps had puked all over the entertainment center. I can't wait to "break it out".

The 8500 is in the box, but unpacked. It is on the way to blhagstrom for some much needed help. I shut it down back then because the filter caps had puked all over the entertainment center. I can't wait to "break it out".

Man, Blaine will make that thing positively sing! Please let us know when he gets finished with his mojo.

Great story. I recently went on a Craigslist run for a Pioneer open reel tape deck. A nearby farmer had advertised a RT-701 and a Teac X-1000R for $225.00 each. I quickly arrived first on the scene were the farmer and his wife took me to their barn. After entering the door I saw two shiny reel to reel tape decks. The pioneer was the one I was looking for but was prepared to buy both on the spot. The RT-701 was minty fresh with perfect heads and not a scratch to be found. The Teac was new in box with all the original packaging. I was quickly made aware that the Teac was committed to another gentleman who was driving in from a long distance. I quickly closed the deal on the RT-701 which included two 5 gallon buckets of 1980's Maxell, Sony and TDK tapes. Still disappointed about the Teac, I began to peer back in the shadows of the dusty barn were I saw what looked like two very nice cassette decks. One was a Akai GX-F90 and the other a Aiwa AD-6900u. I was able buy both for 5 bucks each. The farmer was so embarrassed about his wife committing the Teac to another, he said he had something he would just give me for my trouble. From another dusty corner of the barn he pulls out an SX-950. It was dirty, dusty and in need of some TLC but powered up the first time I plugged it in. The RT-701 is in my rack today and works perfectly. The cassette decks do have needs but I have hope that a new idler tire will get the GX-F90 in working order. All this and the adventure for only a $180.00. That was a very good day and I didn't even have to break the bank.

This story is being added to by the new setup I am establishing in the bedroom. For years I have had a three amp setup in the bedroom. I used my Sansui Model Eight to drive my JBL L35s. Stacked on top of the L35s is a pair of DCM TimeFrame 400s that were driven by my Sansui AU-D9. Off to the side is a Realistic Optimus sub being driven by my Sansui 4000. This setup has served me well for close to five years. I hang out on the bed with my Thinkpad, which is my source and my position is right in the sweet spot. It was perfect when I had two knees replaced last year and had to spend a lot of time in the bed, but unfortunately the model eight, which was the feeder preamp started going on me. It was motor boating out of the right amp and was sending out some big spikes that were bad enough to set off the protection circuit in the D9. I just put up with until last month the Eight finally gave up the ghost.

The new system, still being fed by the Thinkpad, will consist of the following items. For the feeder, I am using my recently rehabbed, by CDFixer, Sansui G-8000. This receiver has an interesting story behind it. About eight years ago I was at work and was reading AK new posts. I came across a very new post by AK member Madhattter. In the post, he was asking if anybody wanted a working G-8000 for free, local pickup. I immediately responded to the post and, after some back and forth, he agreed to ship it to me. I sent him the shipping funds and he crated up the G-8000. When I say crate, I mean crate. It turns out that Madhattter was an engineer and he created a crate, out of cardboard and 1" X 1"s, that was bullet proof. The G became my office system with a pair of Insignias that were all the craze back then. It worked for a little over a year. The protection circuit was taking longer and longer to activate, until one day the relay never closed. It took me a while to dig up the funds, but I finally sent it off to be rehabbed. The cost of filter caps was exceptional for the rehab. It sounds exceptional. The G will feed the L35s.

The second system is my Sansui Model Eight Deluxe, also freshly rehabbed by CDFixer. The Deluxe will drive the TimeFrames. Feeding the sub will be my Yamaha M65 which has been on the rack too long. I'm still dealing with physical issues so I can only do a little bit at a time, but by tomorrow, it should be done. I can't wait. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom