Possible counterfeit “OEM” Stanton stylus (?).

ear4audio

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recall a thread where member boreas mentioned that Stanton never used stickers on their stylus grip to identify stylus types. I had no reason to doubt that claim as I have always seen Stanton’s various identifiers printed on the styli. Either the grips were black, white or clear with black ink until I unwrapped a Stanton 980LZS.
980-2.jpg
980S-4.jpg
I've included pictures of a 981 to compare since they both use the same stylus type (D98S).
980S-3.jpg
980S-2.jpg
As you can see the 980 stylus (D98S) grip is chrome plated plastic to match the color of the cartridge body while the 981 grip is clear plastic.

Stickers are used for the “Stanton” logo and the D98S stylus type for the 980 cartridge. They are both identified as “D98S”. Remembering what member boreas said about stickers had me wondering if I had an original Stanton stylus. All the paperwork (User Guide, Warranty Card) have the Plainview NY address so I’m somewhat certain that it is not from Florida. I don’t have a MC transformer to test out the cartridge but I’m certain the chrome D98S can be used in the 981HZS body. Also the 980 does not have the serial number engraved on the body, although it’s possible that only calibrated cartridges had serial numbers.

981S-X.jpg
This is a closeup of the 981 D98S.
980S-1.jpg
Here is a closeup of the 980 stylus

Does anyone out there have a 980 with a chrome-colored stylus grip? Or do I have a counterfeit?

This is the second time in recent weeks that a bestickered chrome D98S has come up, the first I think on Lenco Heaven. Both the sticker and the chrome finish are unfamiliar to everyone who posted to the thread.

John

I recall a thread where member boreas mentioned that Stanton never used stickers on their stylus grip to identify stylus types. I had no reason to doubt that claim as I have always seen Stanton’s various identifiers printed on the styli. Either the grips were black, white or clear with black ink until I unwrapped a Stanton 980LZS.
View attachment 892551
View attachment 892553
I've included pictures of a 981 to compare since they both use the same stylus type (D98S).
View attachment 892555
View attachment 892556
As you can see the 980 stylus (D98S) grip is chrome plated plastic to match the color of the cartridge body while the 981 grip is clear plastic.

Stickers are used for the “Stanton” logo and the D98S stylus type for the 980 cartridge. They are both identified as “D98S”. Remembering what member boreas said about stickers had me wondering if I had an original Stanton stylus. All the paperwork (User Guide, Warranty Card) have the Plainview NY address so I’m somewhat certain that it is not from Florida. I don’t have a MC transformer to test out the cartridge but I’m certain the chrome D98S can be used in the 981HZS body. Also the 980 does not have the serial number engraved on the body, although it’s possible that only calibrated cartridges had serial numbers.

View attachment 892557
This is a closeup of the 981 D98S.
View attachment 892559
Here is a closeup of the 980 stylus

Does anyone out there have a 980 with a chrome-colored stylus grip? Or do I have a counterfeit?

Good pictures! What are you using for a camera or scope?

Last edited:
Good pictures! What are you using for a camera or scope?
For pictures, I use my smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S7....no, not the one with the exploding battery). The microscope is an AmScope 150 series; it's really meant for biological specimens and slides but it comes with a usb eyepiece that you can connect to a PC and record the image. .. it's a work in progress. The maximum magnification is x250. I can't get any closer because the stylus grip gets in the way of the lens... Kind of tedious getting everything in focus and the slightest bit of dust can obscure everything. But it's enough magnification to see the cut of the diamond and the geometry of the stylus tip.

This is the second time in recent weeks that a bestickered chrome D98S has come up, the first I think on Lenco Heaven. Both the sticker and the chrome finish are unfamiliar to everyone who posted to the thread.

John
Interesting that this subject came up twice within a few weeks. Went to Lenco Heaven but couldn't find the post. Was the chrome stylus also with the 980? Checked out my old product brochures and found 2 that had pictures of the 98X series, but all had the clear stylus grip, I thought maybe Stanton produced a separate version of the stylus just for the LZS line but it doesn't make sense after thinking about it.

For pictures, I use my smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S7....no, not the one with the exploding battery). The microscope is an AmScope 150 series; it's really meant for biological specimens and slides but it comes with a usb eyepiece that you can connect to a PC and record the image. .. it's a work in progress. The maximum magnification is x250. I can't get any closer because the stylus grip gets in the way of the lens... Kind of tedious getting everything in focus and the slightest bit of dust can obscure everything. But it's enough magnification to see the cut of the diamond and the geometry of the stylus tip.

I have the S7 Edge too and it does great pictures. I've tried a small digital microscope too but couldn't get results like that.

....Also the 980 does not have the serial number engraved on the body, although it’s possible that only calibrated cartridges had serial numbers...

That is correct. Only the calibrated carts had serial numbers.

Interesting that this subject came up twice within a few weeks. Went to Lenco Heaven but couldn't find the post. Was the chrome stylus also with the 980? Checked out my old product brochures and found 2 that had pictures of the 98X series, but all had the clear stylus grip, I thought maybe Stanton produced a separate version of the stylus just for the LZS line but it doesn't make sense after thinking about it.

I couldn't find it again either but needlestein remembers it too so I'm not crazy - or both of us are.

John

Last edited:
I can't say that I've seen a Stanton with stickers on the stylus grip, but the stickers themselves look just like the ones they often used on the cartridge bodies.

Back
Top Bottom