Interesting speaker cable experiment

Indeed. There are a number of things that could individually or in unison explain differences heard, and not even be specifically related to coaxial-type cable. That's all the fun stuff to consider re. correlation doesn't imply causation. Doesn't mean there isn't a difference, but what is really causing the difference sort of thing.
The only difference was using the center conductor of two cables on one speaker. when reversed left to right at the amp and left to right on the speakers the result was the same I
DHv2-PL-IM.jpg
this solid wire is to blame for all this lol

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Dou...les-with-PLUS-Upgrade/productinfo/DHELIX2-PL/

Update; after listening for a week and a half. If you are listening to a great recording you just might hear some cool stuff you never heard before. If you are listening to general stuff that does not sound so great normally, you will might not like it anymore as you will hear every single flaw and wont like it. If you are listening to good stuff like "Wicked Game" by Chris Issac or "Colour to the moon" by Allan Taylor you just might be amazed. I came across Ace of Base as I sort have forgotten about them over the years and found their recordings actually sounded really good and clean.

I might give this a try also as I have a 100 foot cable too.

I have three power amp speaker combinations in one system.

View attachment 888610

View attachment 888611

After getting these two speakers

View attachment 888612

My new configuration is similar to this now.

View attachment 888613

I'll make 10' runs and heat shrink the ends covering the shielding and might add bananas plugs. As it stands the JBL L250s and Monitor Audio have audioquest rocket 33 cables, and the Martin Logans have Kimber Kables.
Hey 427,

I have the Rocket 33's, how do your like yours?

-Blitz

It's not like its huge amperage coming out of most amps, especially smaller 100wrms per channel verity. If the OP is having fun "experimenting" with coax speaker cable, who cares, and maybe he likes what he hears. I like the sound of single conductors myself......
Yeah, agree, let's have fun...No need for any criticism here. Solid core: Same here my AudioQuest Rocket 33's have solid copper wire and I like them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_703R33BW10/AudioQuest-Rocket-33-10-foot-pair.html

If the ears and the mind like what they hear and happiness is the result that's a good thing.
Why try to anylize everything...

Yes, I forgot, some like to try to figure out how God created the world, sorry...

That's a fair stretch from thinking about the electrical properties of a speaker cable and possible impact on sound.

But, yeah, I guess some people don't understand the interest in that sort of thing whereas I don't understand the lack of interest. Different strokes I guess.

Last edited:
On one hand; single-core conductor gives a cleaner, faster signal than a stranded but coaxes is not the way to go. Fun begins at 9awg guys, begins..

On one hand; single-core conductor gives a cleaner, faster signal than a stranded but coaxes is not the way to go. Fun begins at 9awg guys, begins..

By and larger I agree that coax is not the way to go for most speaker applications. There might be one situation where shielded cable might yield superior results. Specifically, I'm referring to those cables connected at one end to Speaker B and the other end to speaker level inputs on a sub. Any ac hum induced in that cable will be amplified by the sub's amplifier. Consequently, anything we do to minimize hum in that line is clearly going in the right direction.

Regards,
Jerry

Update: as a reminder this test was supposed to test a single wire copper connection, one each for positive and neg. I found out RG6 center is copper coated steel unfortunately.

I have a new problem as I have been battling Lyme disease for five years and the three antibiotics I am taking are now causing my ears to ring 24 hrs a day (common) and it is very loud so my critical listening skills are put on hold.

From what I can say so far is mostly I am happy with the sound as I sill hear sounds I never heard before (subtle instrument's that do not add much to the song but are there and you wouldn't miss them if you could not here them) . Not to put down steel but I guess it kind of sounds like steel; bright, stiff, quick sounding.
Bass is very tight, drum beats are quick. It has a very black background to it which is very nice. A shorter cable 7-8 sounds better than a longer one 10FT.

I like treble and love to hear cymbals and such and have gone from 3/4 on my treble control to half and under as the high frequency's are a delight with the steel core which leads me to say they would work great on older two ways that didn't have the "brightness" of others and of newer speakers; try it you might like it. I would say be mindful as it will seem like the lows and "fullness" appears not as good but I can say its all there (its just not as long/drawn out) think tight and black which becomes quite pleasing, especially bass heavy songs.

I am very much excited to try it on my old Allison LC-110's (70's) after I re-foam them, from what I hear it may bring the highs up a notch to more modern standards.

Only downside which is a make or break in most applications I think is, if you have bright speakers (my midrange driver is very bright and detailed) the results will be overpowering as it seems to make my midrange and tweeter seem to fight each other or something as they will want to sing and is hard to tame. If was an electronics expert and could tame this issue with the drivers in my system (which by the way is not as bad with a different receiver I have) I would say good by to my copper stranded cable. (under 8 ft. in length)

If you have older 60's or 70's two ways (or others) that are great sounding but need that little extra "zing" up top I think you might find it to be the ticket.

These are my unbiased observations put a simply as I can.

Last edited:
By and larger I agree that coax is not the way to go for most speaker applications. There might be one situation where shielded cable might yield superior results. Specifically, I'm referring to those cables connected at one end to Speaker B and the other end to speaker level inputs on a sub. Any ac hum induced in that cable will be amplified by the sub's amplifier. Consequently, anything we do to minimize hum in that line is clearly going in the right direction.

Regards,
Jerry
I was just interested in the center conductor. Two cables one for pos one for neg. just my receiver and one speaker with these and one with 14 ga copper stranded.

Just for info

My receiver 5-6 ft out from its plug on the wall not near anything else. Basically if you were able to plug a receiver into an outlet and put it next to you on the couch and your speakers in front of you about 3 feet apart about 6 ft away was what I did for hours and hours over many days turning the balance left to right in mono and once in a while listening regularly in stereo. To rule out error at first I made sure my amp was the same side to side by swapping the cables left to right on the receiver and then at the speakers. (The sound followed each cable respectively) on the first receiver I used the sound "was" a little different left to right (coming from the receiver)which I need to get fixed somehow. The other receiver I used was fine

I then put the speakers in their normal locations with the different cables still attached and found the same results I posted above after many evenings of listening

Last edited:
I`m no expert here guys, but, FWIW. I can tell you of experiments I did with RG mini 8 & RG 8/213 fully copper coax cable for speaker wire in the mid eighties with a hand full of audio friends.. I won`t go into my concept of why it might be a improvement, as that will bring out engineers, and want to be engineers on this site that will want to argue the concept.. And I felt from my RF concepts learning prior that I wonder how the switch out from reg. 14~16 ga. lamp/zip cord would sound if replaced with first RG mini 8 coax "fully stripped" at each end and both the exposed shield and center conductor were twisted together and then had solder flowed over the combined center and shield at each end. X 2 .. One coax length prepared this way, and then another duplicated for the other connection of the speaker(one for the plus connection, and one coax prepared the same way for the negative connection to each speaker) Then make out a duplicate pair of coax cables for the other speaker.. Well, all test subject friends were very impressed with the tightness of the bass & increased clarity of mids. and highs.. I didn`t give them any preconceived notions that these strange semi fat concept wires were going to make their stereos sound like Mark Lenvinson`s or any other high dollar stereo, but since I made them free for my hand full of test subject friends, they had nothing to lose, by swapping my coax speaker concept cables with their original decent ga. ones.. Well the reports started coming in and they were most positive, and then their friends heard them & begged me to build them some too.. So I said here is what you need to buy from Rat Shack.. Go buy what you need and I`ll make them up for you for free.. Actually some of the original test subject friends let me talk them into, where practical, trying out the much larger diameter RG 8 stranded copper center conductor coax prepared the same way, with again for the few bold enough to run two small size garden hose sized coax cables to each of their speakers, at their expense to see if there would be an improvement.. With again, very positive sonic results.. All done at a fraction of popular Monster Cable type speaker cable(my only esoteric speaker cable awareness), at that time.. Try it, or not.. Hear it, or not.. It`s all the same to me, as I never read about doing that experiment/concept(pre internet) in the mid eighties Those of you who are bold enough to try it out just might be surprised with what you`ll hear.. If you do try and like, no credit need be given me.. After all it was just a concept experiment over 40 years ago and I didn`t want to patent it.. Possible elevated income tax bracket concerns !! Take care and always enjoy the music Gentlemen & Ladies, if present.. Regards, OKB

I`m no expert here guys, but, FWIW. I can tell you of experiments I did with RG mini 8 & RG 8/213 fully copper coax cable for speaker wire in the mid eighties with a hand full of audio friends.. I won`t go into my concept of why it might be a improvement, as that will bring out engineers, and want to be engineers on this site that will want to argue the concept.. And I felt from my RF concepts learning prior that I wonder how the switch out from reg. 14~16 ga. lamp/zip cord would sound if replaced with first RG mini 8 coax "fully stripped" at each end and both the exposed shield and center conductor were twisted together and then had solder flowed over the combined center and shield at each end. X 2 .. One coax length prepared this way, and then another duplicated for the other connection of the speaker(one for the plus connection, and one coax prepared the same way for the negative connection to each speaker) Then make out a duplicate pair of coax cables for the other speaker.. Well, all test subject friends were very impressed with the tightness of the bass & increased clarity of mids. and highs.. I didn`t give them any preconceived notions that these strange semi fat concept wires were going to make their stereos sound like Mark Lenvinson`s or any other high dollar stereo, but since I made them free for my hand full of test subject friends, they had nothing to lose, by swapping my coax speaker concept cables with their original decent ga. ones.. Well the reports started coming in and they were most positive, and then their friends heard them & begged me to build them some too.. So I said here is what you need to buy from Rat Shack.. Go buy what you need and I`ll make them up for you for free.. Actually some of the original test subject friends let me talk them into, where practical, trying out the much larger diameter RG 8 stranded copper center conductor coax prepared the same way, with again for the few bold enough to run two small size garden hose sized coax cables to each of their speakers, at their expense to see if there would be an improvement.. With again, very positive sonic results.. All done at a fraction of popular Monster Cable type speaker cable(my only esoteric speaker cable awareness), at that time.. Try it, or not.. Hear it, or not.. It`s all the same to me, as I never read about doing that experiment/concept(pre internet) in the mid eighties Those of you who are bold enough to try it out just might be surprised with what you`ll hear.. If you do try and like, no credit need be given me.. After all it was just a concept experiment over 40 years ago and I didn`t want to patent it.. Possible elevated income tax bracket concerns !! Take care and always enjoy the music Gentlemen & Ladies, if present.. Regards, OKB
Thanks for sharing

Cross connected Belden 89259 using Jon Risch's recipe gets you about 13.5 gauge with very low inductance and capacitance - both valuable for lowering the effective dielectric constant. Quad connected drops that to about 10.5. :)

Cross connected Belden 89259 using Jon Risch's recipe gets you about 13.5 gauge with very low inductance and capacitance - both valuable for lowering the effective dielectric constant. Quad connected drops that to about 10.5. :)

With all kind of respect; only suited as doorbell-wiring. Music is all about dynamics, even the ac powercord in to your amp is thicker

With all kind of respect; only suited as doorbell-wiring. Music is all about dynamics, even the ac powercord in to your amp is thicker
While my Harmonic Technology power cords are indeed 10 gauge, that's darn close to the 10.5 gauge value for the quad coupled 89259s. :)

You do not get it guys. And I guess you never will, that`s your loss. But anyone with some basic knowledge about electricity knows that when you reduce voltage you`ll have to increase cable-diameter to compensate. Why do you think anyone would come up with a speakerfiltercoil like this one? Chew on that guys and have a nice holyday

m_coil_n.gif 2x6mm rectangular thread here or nearly 6awg

Back
Top Bottom