Today's JAZZ playlist

Morris Nanton Trio - Roberta

51A7ByIL5oL._SS500.jpg

The two Chris Connor albums on Atlantic that I've played today, the sound quality is the same as a Columbia six eye. Most of the late '50's stuff sounds very good. That vacuum tube stuff back in the day that those albums were recorded and mastered with have a special sound to them. :music:

I have a Modern Jazz Quartet album on Atlantic that I posted early in the day, that has something approaching square wave distortion on track one side one...the first time I heard It I thought my stylus was probably partially snapped off. It's a real shame because the rest of the album is very unusual ( in a good way) and pretty solid..except for some reason the ride out groove is almost 2 inches wide and doesn't track very well...

View attachment 892440
Nice playing, but a distant sounding recording...

Lady luck has been with me the last couple of days. Went to the ole' local record store today to see if anything interesting showed up within the last month or so. Flipping through seeing nothing but the same stuff that was there last time. All of a sudden a copy of Lee Morgan Sidewinder appears. Very cool I thought. $18 bucks. Must be a 70's black note. Pulled her out of the stack and flipped it around to look at the back cover. No Liberty. Mmmmmm....getting interesting. Pulled out the vinyl and low and behold its an original NY stereo, ear and all. Couldn't believe it. Vinyl looks barely played. I almost feel guilty.

The search continues. Keep flipping, keep flipping and a copy of Duke at Newport appears. Pull the vinyl out...minty fresh....$9. Hallelujah! Up to the counter, hand the man some cash and out the door. Drove away with a huge smile on my face in disbelief. To me, I came upon two works of art today. I might have to go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow.

Spinning the Duke as I write...

View attachment 892609 View attachment 892608

Yikes! Talk about two "Classics". :thumbsup:

Bill Batts, I would certainly be interested in hearing more of your favorite jazz stations and specific programs that you enjoy. Presently I'm listening to the big band program on CJRT. I forget about this program.

No problem, Tom. My Sunday listening has been honed over the years and hasn't changed much in a while. I prefer Live Jazz "Feature Shows" and stations, not just ordinary Jazz FM listening. My Saturday shows are relatively new (within the last year or two) as is the Tuesday show.

SATURDAY
All times Eastern;

8:00 AM - Weekends with Alan Rock on WUCF - www.wucf.org (note 1)

12:00 PM - Jazz on the Beach with Jack Simpson - www.wucf.org (note 2)

4:00 PM - Gifts and Messages with Dr. Jazz - www.whyr.org (also available on Mixcloud) (note 3)

SUNDAY
All times Eastern;

2:00 PM - Jazz Night in America with Christian McBride on WCBE - www.wcbe.org (Note 4)

3:00 PM - Jazz Sunday with Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones on WCBE - www.wcbe.org (Note 5)
(This show runs 3 hours and OVERLAPS CJRT's Big Band Jazz Show by 1 hour)

5:00 PM - Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock on CJRT - www.jazz.fm (Note 6)
(This show runs 5 hours and OVERLAPS WLRN's Night Train Jazz Show by 2 hours)

8:00 PM - Night Train Jazz with Uncle Ted Grossman on WLRN - www.wlrn.org (Note 7)

TUESDAY
All times Eastern

10:00 PM - Radio Deluxe with John Pizzarelli on CJRT - www.jazz.fm (also available on Mixcloud) (Note 8)
This is a syndicated show and can be found on other Jazz stations as well at differnt times

-----------------------

Notes;

You can stream directly from the websites or from 3rd party applications like Tunein. Some stations also stream via Apple Radio and are uploaded for playback to Mixcloud.com. WUCF streams in very high quality (I believe 256kbps) and you will notice this. The others stream between 64kpbs and 128kbps.

1.) Alan Rock is a hoot, I'm guessing his age at 65 plus years. He's very Jazz savvy. He runs a "fun" show. Plays Jazz, has quiz questions where you call in and win CDs, and he loves when you call him. I've called him from Hawaii and he loves when "streaming people" call in from thousands of miles away, and he mentions that you called on the air. A really fun Jazz show. Yes, he plays great Jazz too.

2.) Jack Simpson sounds like he is as old as dirt. If I had to guess, I'd say 80 years old plus. But the man knows GREAT Jazz and knows just about all the background about every album and cut he plays. I truly enjoy his show.

3.) Poppachubby turned me on to this show last year. Dr. Jazz runs an interesting 2 hours show from Baton Rouge, LA, but plays a broad spectrum of Jazz. His show is uploaded to Mixcloud so you can listen any time via www.mixcloud.com to any of his shows as they are all there. Hundreds of hours.

4.) Jazz Night in America is like a Jazz Documentary show. Each show concentrates on a specific artist or theme. Christian McBride is the "host" and it is a very worthwhile 1 hour show to learn about Jazz "artist-by-artist".

5.) Jazz Sunday is without a doubt my favorite Live Jazz show. I've been listening for well over a decade. I discoverd the show by accident one day steraming around looking for "LIVE" Jazz feature shows. Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones co-host the show and the variety is vast. They are highly knowledgable (guessing both are in their mid to late 50's) and play supreme Jazz to my taste. They are very personalble. Jack responds to emails and Facebook immeiately and you can call them and chat. I record this show weekly as it overlaps "Big Band Jazz' at CJRT by 1 hour.

6.) The Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock on CJRT is the longest running Jazz show with the same host in history. Glen started broadcasting in 1977. He's a great guy and he and I have become email pen-pals. He dedicated one of his shows to me, playing a lot of Woody Herman. Long story on that for another time. I love Big Band and never miss his show. I record his show as well as it is overlapped by WCBE's Jazz Sunday and it overlaps WLRN's Night Train Jazz.

7.) Uncle Ted Grossman's "Night Train Jazz' is probably the most eclectic of the bunch. It is similar to CJRT's Big Band Jazz Show, but takes diversions into Trios and Quartets where needed. Ted Grossman has a HUGE collection of old Jazz Vinyl from the 30's and 40's. He is a walking Jazz encyclopedia, and the show is amazing to listen to. Nobody knows more about 30's-40's era Jazz than Uncle Ted. Listen one evening and you'll get that fact quickly. He's been collecting that era's vinyl since the late 60's.

8.) The most engrossing show for me is "Radio Deluxe" with John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey. John is Bucky Pizzarelli's son and Jessica is John's wife. The two do the show from their living room and chat about Jazz as much as they play it. It's very conversational and you feel like you are sitting on their couch and chatting Jazz with them. But you never know what you are going to hear. You can hear anything from Bing Crosby to Steely Dan. I'd say it is 90 percent Jazz for sure, but with a twist. At times it's very elegant. The conversation between the two is fascinating. John and his father Bucky have played with most of the legends in Jazz, so he has amazing stories that he shares. You can catch this show on www.mixcloud.com any time you want. All of the shows are there. Hundreds of hours. As I noted above, this is a syndicated show, so you can also catch it from the syndication website or via other terrestrial radio stations at different days and times. www.radiodeluxe.com

---------------

Stations mentioned above;

WCBE - Columbus
WLRN - Miami
CJRT - Toronto
WUCF - Orlando
WHYR - Baton Rouge

Honorable mentions for regular Jazz listening are;

WDCB - Chicago
KSDS - San Diego
KCSM - San Francisco
WBGO - New York (technically New Jersey)
KNKX - Seattle (streaming found via jazz24.org)
WKCR - New York

Last edited:
I arrived late to the Grant Green party, but I'm here now.
Can't stop listening to this one...

Grant Green
Idle Moments

Recorded (Van Gelder Studio) 1963
Remastered (Van Gelder Edition CD) 1999
DR=11

Grant Green (guitar)
Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone)
Bobby Hutcherson (vibraphone)
Duke Pearson (piano)
Bob Cranshaw (bass)
Al Harewood (drums)

R-504682-1289406921.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Not really a morning vibe, but I picked this up a couple weekends ago at the flea market for a song and I can't stop listening to it. There's more than desired surface noise and a couple skips, but it's an original mono pressing and still sounds great. (Check out the weird mis-print of "The Russian Jazz Quartet" on the label—it's still Coltrane, and the track listing is correct. It's just an odd bird...)

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

Last edited:
No problem, Tom. My Sunday listening has been honed over the years and hasn't changed much in a while. I prefer Live Jazz "Feature Shows" and stations, not just ordinary Jazz FM listening. My Saturday shows are relatively new (within the last year or two) as is the Tuesday show.

SATURDAY
All times Eastern;

8:00 AM - Weekends with Alan Rock on WUCF - www.wucf.org (note 1)

12:00 PM - Jazz on the Beach with Jack Simpson - www.wucf.org (note 2)

4:00 PM - Gifts and Messages with Dr. Jazz - www.whyr.org (also available on Mixcloud) (note 3)

SUNDAY
All times Eastern;

2:00 PM - Jazz Night in America with Christian McBride on WCBE - www.wcbe.org (Note 4)

3:00 PM - Jazz Sunday with Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones on WCBE - www.wcbe.org (Note 5)
(This show runs 3 hours and OVERLAPS CJRT's Big Band Jazz Show by 1 hour)

5:00 PM - Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock on CJRT - www.jazz.fm (Note 6)
(This show runs 5 hours and OVERLAPS WLRN's Night Train Jazz Show by 2 hours)

8:00 PM - Night Train Jazz with Uncle Ted Grossman on WLRN - www.wlrn.org (Note 7)

TUESDAY
All times Eastern

10:00 PM - Radio Deluxe with John Pizzarelli on CJRT - www.jazz.fm (also available on Mixcloud) (Note 8)
This is a syndicated show and can be found on other Jazz stations as well at differnt times

-----------------------

Notes;

You can stream directly from the websites or from 3rd party applications like Tunein. Some stations also stream via Apple Radio and are uploaded for playback to Mixcloud.com. WUCF streams in very high quality (I believe 256kbps) and you will notice this. The others stream between 64kpbs and 128kbps.

1.) Alan Rock is a hoot, I'm guessing his age at 65 plus years. He's very Jazz savvy. He runs a "fun" show. Plays Jazz, has quiz questions where you call in and win CDs, and he loves when you call him. I've called him from Hawaii and he loves when "streaming people" call in from thousands of miles away, and he mentions that you called on the air. A really fun Jazz show. Yes, he plays great Jazz too.

2.) Jack Simpson sounds like he is as old as dirt. If I had to guess, I'd say 80 years old plus. But the man knows GREAT Jazz and knows just about all the background about every album and cut he plays. I truly enjoy his show.

3.) Poppachubby turned me on to this show last year. Dr. Jazz runs an interesting 2 hours show from Baton Rouge, LA, but plays a broad spectrum of Jazz. His show is uploaded to Mixcloud so you can listen any time via www.mixcloud.com to any of his shows as they are all there. Hundreds of hours.

4.) Jazz Night in America is like a Jazz Documentary show. Each show concentrates on a specific artist or theme. Christian McBride is the "host" and it is a very worthwhile 1 hour show to learn about Jazz "artist-by-artist".

5.) Jazz Sunday is without a doubt my favorite Live Jazz show. I've been listening for well over a decade. I discoverd the show by accident one day steraming around looking for "LIVE" Jazz feature shows. Jack Marchbanks and KC Jones co-host the show and the variety is vast. They are highly knowledgable (guessing both are in their mid to late 50's) and play supreme Jazz to my taste. They are very personalble. Jack responds to emails and Facebook immeiately and you can call them and chat. I record this show weekly as it overlaps "Big Band Jazz' at CJRT by 1 hour.

6.) The Big Band Jazz Show with Glen Woodcock on CJRT is the longest running Jazz show with the same host in history. Glen started broadcasting in 1977. He's a great guy and he and I have become email pen-pals. He dedicated one of his shows to me, playing a lot of Woody Herman. Long story on that for another time. I love Big Band and never miss his show. I record his show as well as it is overlapped by WCBE's Jazz Sunday and it overlaps WLRN's Night Train Jazz.

7.) Uncle Ted Grossman's "Night Train Jazz' is probably the most eclectic of the bunch. It is similar to CJRT's Big Band Jazz Show, but takes diversions into Trios and Quartets where needed. Ted Grossman has a HUGE collection of old Jazz Vinyl from the 30's and 40's. He is a walking Jazz encyclopedia, and the show is amazing to listen to. Nobody knows more about 30's-40's era Jazz than Uncle Ted. Listen one evening and you'll get that fact quickly. He's been collecting that era's vinyl since the late 60's.

8.) The most engrossing show for me is "Radio Deluxe" with John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey. John is Bucky Pizzarelli's son and Jessica is John's wife. The two do the show from their living room and chat about Jazz as much as they play it. It's very conversational and you feel like you are sitting on their couch and chatting Jazz with them. But you never know what you are going to hear. You can hear anything from Bing Crosby to Steely Dan. I'd say it is 90 percent Jazz for sure, but with a twist. At times it's very elegant. The conversation between the two is fascinating. John and his father Bucky have played with most of the legends in Jazz, so he has amazing stories that he shares. You can catch this show on www.mixcloud.com any time you want. All of the shows are there. Hundreds of hours. As I noted above, this is a syndicated show, so you can also catch it from the syndication website or via other terrestrial radio stations at different days and times. www.radiodeluxe.com

---------------

Honorable mentions for regular Jazz listening are;

WDCB - Chicago
KSDS - San Diego
KCSM - San Francisco
WBGO - New York
KNKX - Seattle (streaming found via jazz24.org)
Remember that thread about jazz(and the other for blues) radio shows I talked about starting awhile back? THAT is the kind of info I had in mind.

Back
Top Bottom