Today's JAZZ playlist

You shoud start it Kris! I'll cut and paste that post first thing!
The only reason I haven't is that being a non-subscriber I'm not sure if I could go back an edit the first post, or posts days later?
What I had in mind was a thread where people offered up their favourites, and then the first post or two had a day-by-day list of jazz shows. Maybe with EST as the time.
So basically, any time of day if you wanted to stream some jazz(or blues) you could consult the list and see what was out there.

Like you, I really like a 'proper' radio show with a DJ who talks, and hopefully programs the show.
I have a few local ones I really enjoy.

jo_jones_special1-e1361515801844.jpg

Jo Jones - The Jo Jones Special

The only reason I haven't is that being a non-subscriber I'm not sure if I could go back an edit the first post, or posts days later?
What I had in mind was a thread where people offered up their favourites, and then the first post or two had a day-by-day list of jazz shows. Maybe with EST as the time.
So basically, any time of day if you wanted to stream some jazz(or blues) you could consult the list and see what was out there.

Like you, I really like a 'proper' radio show with a DJ who talks, and hopefully programs the show.
I have a few local ones I really enjoy.

I can start the thread, Kris. No issues. I just thought because it was your idea, you'd want to start it. I didn't know that a non-subscriber had different functionality options for re-edit than a subscriber.

All of the live shows I listed above are live where the playlist is chosen by the on-air host(s). Most of the honorable mentions I posted play human-chosen playlists even for regular shows with live on-air personalities. KNKX (formerly KPLO) in Seattle via their web portal jazz24.org is an automated playlist, but the rest are human. jazz24 does seem to have live Jocks at times, so I listed them. But it's a heavily syndicated sounding stations. Like "PubJazz" that you can hear on many public radio stations in the US. Sounds like a live show, but little do you know it's been syndicated and is playing on about 30 stations nationwide from a "canned" source somewhere near Pittsburgh. So it's a canned show and not live even though it sounds like it.

I can start the thread, Kris. No issues. I just thought because it was your idea, you'd want to start it. I didn't know that a non-subscriber had different functionality options for re-edit than a subscriber.

All of the live shows I listed above are live where the playlist is chosen by the on-air host(s). Most of the honorable mentions I posted play human-chosen playlists even for regular shows with live on-air personalities. KNKX (formerly KPLO) in Seattle via their web portal jazz24.org is an automated playlist, but the rest are human. jazz24 does seem to have live Jocks at times, so I listed them. But it's a heavily syndicated sounding stations. Like "PubJazz" that you can hear on many public radio stations in the US. Sounds like a live show, but little do you know it's been syndicated and is playing on about 30 stations nationwide from a "canned" source somewhere near Pittsburgh. So it's a canned show and not live even though it sounds like it.
I think the live thing isn't a huge deal.
Some of my favourite blues and jazz shows are pre-recorded. I'm cool with that.
Heck, there's a local big band show that seems to do re-runs from years past. I'm not even sure if the DJ is still alive! But not biggie to me. A radio show that I've never heard before with Goodman, Ellington, and Basie tunes from the '30s/'40s? I can still dig it.

I think the live thing isn't a huge deal.
Some of my favourite blues and jazz shows are pre-recorded. I'm cool with that.
Heck, there's a local big band show that seems to do re-runs from years past. I'm not even sure if the DJ is still alive! But not biggie to me. A radio show that I've never heard before with Goodman, Ellington, and Basie tunes from the '30s/'40s? I can still dig it.

I agree. What I really meant was, that the show playlist is human CURATED and not chosen by a computer or randomly selected. I do prefer this to an automated station that is just a computer randomizaton of Jazz/Blues with time and temperature scattered in by what appears to be a live person.
But I've got no problem with re-broadcasts of formerly live shows. Some of my favorite shows feature "Remote" re-broadcasts where Big Bands were broadcasted live remotely form the dance hall to the living room radio in the 30's to the 50's.

CJRT still plays a wonderful show called "My Kind of Jazz" on Wednesdays at 9:00 PM Eastern. The host passed away a few years ago, but they have revived the show for re-broadcast from archive tapes. It's worth a listen;
http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/home-mainmenu-1/13261

I agree. What I really meant was, that the show playlist is human CURATED and not chosen by a computer or randomly selected. I do prefer this to an automated station that is just a computer randomizaton of Jazz/Blues with time and temperature scattered in by what appears to be a live person.
But I've not no problem with re-broadcasts of formerly live shows.

CJRT still plays a wonderful show called "My Kind of Jazz" on Wednesdays at 9:00 PM Eastern. The host passed away a few years ago, but they have revived the show for re-broadcast from archive tapes. It's worth a listen;
http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/home-mainmenu-1/13261
Oh yeah, we're on the same page.
I want a DJ to introduce the song, talk about it a bit, and then play it. Be into the music they're playing. If that's them doing it on a Wednesday for a Friday broadcast, that's fine with me.
I've actually been at blues gigs where the DJ was there while his show was being aired.

And I can't really speak for jazz much, but any computer randomization blues shows I've heard just usually sound flat to me. I don't need a show to be all Charly Patton all the time, but too much smooth stuff, or too much warhorse stuff just misses the point.

Absolutely. I didn't mention a few that should be on there for sure. WKCR is definitely one of them.

Added WKCR and corrected WBGO to reflect it is technically from New Jersey.

Yeah, WKCR I feel, is an important one. With the exception of WBGO, I haven't heard the other stations you've posted, which I'm sure are great. But WKCR has been so essential over the years.

I know I've posted this recently, but....

Mind. Blown. (Still!) This entire album is a revelation.

And, what an incredible combination of brilliant musicians. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that a chunk of my next paycheck's gonna go towards finding more post-Coltrane Elvin...

IMG_1808.JPG

Oh yeah, we're on the same page.
I want a DJ to introduce the song, talk about it a bit, and then play it. Be into the music they're playing. If that's them doing it on a Wednesday for a Friday broadcast, that's fine with me.
I've actually been at blues gigs where the DJ was there while his show was being aired.

And I can't really speak for jazz much, but any computer randomization blues shows I've heard just usually sound flat to me. I don't need a show to be all Charly Patton all the time, but too much smooth stuff, or too much warhorse stuff just misses the point.

Remember that thread about jazz(and the other for blues) radio shows I talked about starting awhile back? THAT is the kind of info I had in mind.
Here's another, lesser known one for you: 88.3 KCCK FM, Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It's a good jazz station that I sometimes listen to online. My regular analog listening is local, WDCB Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom