Really upset with my Boss's Boss at work right now...

By contacting the NLRB you are helping all the remaining employees in the system. Local TV, newspapers and radio stations love to hear about this stuff too. Your effort should not be about you, instead it is about helping your fellow worker who, like you, are bending over and taking it in the butt.

I personally was in a similar situation where I was being paid by my union's local. Because of this I was having no tax witheld. I had to file taxes quarterly which cost me additional money for an accountant. They were claiming we all were 1099 sub-contractors, not employees and we had no payment being made into worker compensation insurance. If we were hurt on the job we had to pay for the doctor ourselves. We also had no health insurance policy through work. I filed an SS8 form with the IRS against the building I worked in. Instead, the IRS declared that it was the union at fault.

For a year or more the members and officers of the union were extremely upset with me, but, you know what, we now have workman's Comp, health insurance, 401Ks, a pension plan and had the proper taxes taken out; so we did not have to hire an accountant 4 times a year. Yes, the members and officers were mad for a while, but then they all realized what I did was the proper thing to do. Sometimes, by sticking your neck out to help others, it is the right thing to do, even if it means a sacrifice. I continued to work at that same location for 20 more years and, when I retired, I had a pension and a 401K to help me along. I also had ACA insurance, O****care, that ended up costing no more than $43 a month to hold me over until I recently got Medicare. Sometimes a person just has to stick their neck out. If this not for you, it is something that anyone could understand. I wish you luck with your situation and wish for you to have better circumstances surrounding your workplace. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone I think I'm just going to stick it out at the meeting and hope for the best and hope they actually pay me for coming in on my day off, otherwise I think I will report them to the NLRB, and hopefully that will give the boss lady the wake up she needs.

Remember also that there's nothing keeping you from looking for something else while you're working there and when you hook something else then you can "give 'em an oilfield quittin'!"

Losing your cool will only get you fired.

You're not just working for GW, you're working for yourself as well. Working hard and doing the best you can is personally satisfying, and will result in being more successful.

Losing your cool will only get you fired.

You're not just working for GW, you're working for yourself as well. Working hard and doing the best you can is personally satisfying, and will result in being more successful.

Good advice for those who would be servile.

Seven years ago a couple of cameras went up at work, "just to document this project for the owner". Of course the cameras are still there, but we put stuff in front of them to keep management on their toes.
If you're really doing your upright best and somebody has you targeted (been there), then it's their problem. Some just have to have someone to piss on in order to take the focus off themselves. My experience has been that they don't last. Be kind and respectful and watch them burn themselves out- turn it into a game.
It could also be a nudge from the universe to look around and see what else is out there.

right from the Indiana web site....

https://secure.in.gov/dol/2345.htm

Q: Does my employer have to pay me for mandatory meetings?

A: Generally, yes. An employer must compensate employees for time spent on the job when the employee is subject to the employer's control and direction.

if they dont pay, report them. end of story...

It might be end of story, or it might not be.

Note the use of the beginning word, "Generally". This implies it's not absolute and or there are exceptions. Whether exceptions apply to the situation is unknown.

And on top of that we aren't even being paid for this
It's illegal on the federal level (for now at least) to not pay employees for required time spent for the company. I wouldn't show up, then when you get fired contact an attorney for your big wrongful termination lawsuit.
No cursing out though, then it's OK to can you.

Having two bosses in a row who are jerks in exactly the same way and who make the same complaints about you might be a coincidence. If it gets to being three or four bosses, you probably need to take a look in the mirror.

Sometimes a person's best effort just isn't good enough. In that case, it would be time to look for a different type of job, one that is a better match for your temperament.

That said, I was under the impression that one of Goodwill's main efforts was to help those whose disabilty, syndrome or condition made it difficult for them to get and hold a job in the regular way. It seems as though a person with ADHD and autism ought to be included in there somewhere.

Also, any demands made on your time should be compensated.

It seems as though a person with ADHD and autism ought to be included in there somewhere.

The OP is employed there, apparently. However, I'd expect there are still some minimum performance expectations that need to be fulfilled. If that's not happening and by the OPs own admission it may not be, then I would expect something needs to change. Whether that's a different job at the store, more follow-ups on the work being done, or something else I don't know. But, something needs to change.

Last edited:
Well I had the meeting and apparently they were "paying" us for being there for the meeting (they had us clock in with and out with our badges in the time clock) but as to how much is another thing, ususally places that have you work on your day off (e.g. a holiday or a mandatory meeting) are supposed to pay time and a half, but if this was not paid time and a half then I will most certainly report this.
As to whether or not I'm being singled out for my job performance,I asked one of my bosses about it yesterday and she said that supposedly EVERYONE was being watched not just me, but of course she may have been trying to cover for her boss (the boss lady mentioned earlier in this thread) so that there wouldn't be any questions asked or possible complaints being filed against them for illegal surveilance.
But either way it seems like they bug me more than anyone else at work about "watching my back" because of the cameras, which still makes me wonder about their true intentions with the cameras, I mean they even have a camera in my custodial closet that I work out of that I think they put in there to not only cover their butts for making the mistake of putting their networking and security appliances/devices in a room that doesn't have a lock and key and has everything in plain sight so that it could be easily sabotaged if one wanted to, but also to make sure I'm not standing around doing nothing in the closet or make sure I'm only in there to get supplies or what not.

Either way I still think they are specifically targeting me personally because like I said earlier in this thread the big boss lady almost always has some negative nelly comment to say about me and she says it behind my back to my immediate supervisor and then I hear about it from my immediate supervisor which then makes me feel bad because I am honestly trying my best to do the job to the best of my abilities but the stupid big boss lady is too blind to see it.
Anyways as for the meeting itself the big boss lady didn't end up leading the meeting like I thought she would (although I'm thinking she did in the past from the sounds of it because the person that led it who was my immediate supervisor/store manager which I do like, and is the one who has to hear all of the grouchy complaints from the big boss lady from corporate whenever she stops by for her "surprise inspections", said it was her first time leading the meeting).

But of course because of this stupid meeting I had to miss out on dinner with my parents, sister and my sister's fiancee which they were really hoping I would of been able to of joined them (my parents even had my sister and her fiancee come 2 hours early so I could of ate with them, but then the corned beef roast my mom made ended up taking longer to make than she expected so then I never even got to eat with them, I ended up having to have a Jimmy John's Sub and a Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha for dinner instead before the meeting instead of eating with my family... Go Figure....

Well I had the meeting and apparently they were "paying" us for being there for the meeting (they had us clock in with and out with our badges in the time clock) but as to how much is another thing, ususally places that have you work on your day off (e.g. a holiday or a mandatory meeting) are supposed to pay time and a half, but if this was not paid time and a half then I will most certainly report this.

Actually, they're not required to pay anything more than normal unless it's actually overtime.

Extra pay for working during weekends is generally a matter of agreement between the employer and the employee (or the employee's representative). The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not require extra pay for weekend work. However, covered, non-exempt employees must be paid at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay for the time worked over 40 hours in a workweek.

As to whether or not I'm being singled out for my job performance,I asked one of my bosses about it yesterday and she said that supposedly EVERYONE was being watched not just me, but of course she may have been trying to cover for her boss (the boss lady mentioned earlier in this thread) so that there wouldn't be any questions asked or possible complaints being filed against them for illegal surveillance.

But either way it seems like they bug me more than anyone else at work about "watching my back" because of the cameras, which still makes me wonder about their true intentions with the cameras, I mean they even have a camera in my custodial closet that I work out of that I think they put in there to not only cover their butts for making the mistake of putting their networking and security appliances/devices in a room that doesn't have a lock and key and has everything in plain sight so that it could be easily sabotaged if one wanted to, but also to make sure I'm not standing around doing nothing in the closet or make sure I'm only in there to get supplies or what not.

Either way I still think they are specifically targeting me personally because like I said earlier in this thread the big boss lady almost always has some negative nelly comment to say about me and she says it behind my back to my immediate supervisor and then I hear about it from my immediate supervisor which then makes me feel bad because I am honestly trying my best to do the job to the best of my abilities but the stupid big boss lady is too blind to see it.
Anyways as for the meeting itself the big boss lady didn't end up leading the meeting like I thought she would (although I'm thinking she did in the past from the sounds of it because the person that led it who was my immediate supervisor/store manager which I do like, and is the one who has to hear all of the grouchy complaints from the big boss lady from corporate whenever she stops by for her "surprise inspections", said it was her first time leading the meeting).

In general, you're going to have a hard time with the illegal surveillance thing since they told you they put up the cameras and did it for a legitimate business purpose - thefts. The company can put up cameras pretty much anywhere they want except places like the bathroom, dressing rooms, etc.

Frankly, I think you're being overly paranoid that they have done this with the intent to target you personally. That said, you admit there have been concerns with your job performance and job performance concerns are brought to the attention of the employee. That's how it works.

If you're doing your job but are being unfairly singled out, the video cameras can show that too, just like they can show if you are screwing off.

Last edited:
As far as the "job performance" thing goes you're probably gonna be fine as long as you keep busy tidying up, etc. The time will go by much faster. It sounds like an interesting job cuz you get to see all the new donations. As far as the "criticisms" you might be getting from management - much of this could very well be described as "role playing" on the part of the manager. They have to pretend they're doing something "managerial" so they do these little annoying seemingly unnecessary things. It can come across as arrogance but it's probably just a lack of people skills and natural leadership. Even highly paid hot shots like me have to deal with it. What exactly was the special Sunday meeting about?

Back
Top Bottom