Fisher Roll Call: Whatcha' Got ?

Did some rearranging and realized I have a few Fishers.

500C - My first Fisher, a super early one, daily driver who is away getting aligned
500C - Super late one with buzzy power transformer
500B - perpetually 3rd in resto line
X1000 - the EL34 one. Due to displace my 2105 when I dig out my AR3a's.
X202B - nice original underutilized
KX200 - restored, even more underutilized
X100 - the first one, needs a power transformer
X100-3 - almost the last one, current stalled project
TA800 - perpetually second in resto line
TX100 - daily driver in the mountains
TX1000 - filling in for daily driver early 500C. I like this thing!
3X 500T - I blame craigslist - one works fine
2X 700T - I blame craigslist - one works fine
600T - AC hum through speakers during dim bulb test. Really.
TFM300 - haven't checked
FM-100C - just got it
110 all-in-one - need to fix the turntable and give to my son
400 - in pieces. not sure it will survive

Up next? I kind of want either a TA600 or a 500S, or some early monoblocks.

Is it just me, or are there not a lot of Fisher speakers among the lists on this thread?

Been a while since I updated my addiction list... :idea:

AMPLIFIERS, PREAMPS AND TUNER/PREAMPS
KX-200 -restored
Three X-202-B's. Two restored -one unrestored but working
400CX-2 -restored and used daily
TX-300 Early solid state amplifier -restored
460-A Console EL-84 amplifier -restored
660A Console 7591 amplifier -restored - will be doing Dave's EFB mod soon when I find time.
SA-100 Restored and used daily
X-1000 EL34 -restored and used often
SA-1000 In the restoration process
100-T tuner/pre -restored with MPX-65
202-T tuner/pre -unrestored with MPX-50
80-T mono tuner/pre- unrestored
Traded my working/unrestored SA-300

RECEIVERS
Two 400's -both restored. Dave has one of the MPX units!
500B -restored
500C -restored
800C -restored

TUNERS
FM-1000 -restored and used daily
KM-60 FM tuner -restored
FM-200-B FM tuner -restored (this came along as a lifetime mate to a X-202-B)
R200 AM/FM tuner -restored and used often
R200-B Solid state FM, MW, LW, SW, 49-M multiband
tuner. Works on FM and SW bands only.
MF-300 -unrestored

MISC.
K10 space expander -restored
RK-20 remote for the MF-300 tuner
One console left in storage. Can't remember the model but it is early and mono.

Finding Fisher's has been dry for a while, all though I can't say I've been looking very hard. Did find a few things recently and thought I'd add a couple to the list. Did find an X-202 and another X-1000 earlier this year. Kept the X-202 and traded the X-1000 as I only need one of those monsters!
The other day I bought a few items from an estate which had a couple Fisher, and several McIntosh items. Got another clean SA-100. This one has light blue pots and my other has red pots. Must be late and early version?? Also picked up another very nice 400 CX-2. Has a cabinet with a couple scratches in the wood but nothing serious...

Finding Fisher's has been dry for a while, ......The other day I bought a few items from an estate which had a couple Fisher, and several McIntosh items. Got another clean SA-100. This one has light blue pots and my other has red pots. Must be late and early version?? Also picked up another very nice 400 CX-2. Has a cabinet with a couple scratches in the wood but nothing serious...

The more I read these posts, the more I think I live in a bubble......:dunno:

There are soooo many advantages to living in an area where Fisher gear was actively bought and used during its production lifetime........

Dave

Pogy bait, huh,?
When poagies would die, my dog would drag one somewhere, bury it for a month, and then dig it up and roll in it.
With his new scent,he was never happier. We, on the other hand, immediately found excuses to give the dog a bath.
The Blue fish love to chase poagies into the shallows and tear them apart for fun. That's when the fishing is easy

Since this old thread was woken up and I just read this, I had to share this definition.

pogey bait
The Marines in China before WW II were issued candy (Baby Ruths, Tootsie Rolls, etc.) as part of their their ration supplements. At the time, sugar and other assorted sweets were rare commodities in China and much in demand by the Chinese, so the troops found the candy useful for barter in town.

The Chinese word for prostitute, roughly translated, is "pogey". Thus, Marines being Marines, candy became "Pogey Bait".
Platoon leaders should control the use of pogey-bait and non-issue food.

btw, I just have a 500B with an 800c on my radar.

Marine's will always be Marine's (or in my case "HEY JARHEAD!"). I got away with a hell of a lot more than the average swab jockey, being a FMF qualled HM. Grandpa was a WWII Marine with 1st MAG @ Guadalcanal. Insisted us Grandkids call him Grampa Jarhead. Loved that guy. I remember living in Housing in 1957-58 (I was 2-3 at the time) and playing on the patio (2 stories up) with my dog Rusty, and the Walking post would come around. I waited until he just turned the corner of the bldg, and I would yell out "HEY JARHEAD!" About 1/2 the time the PFC would come around the bldg with his M-1 @ port arms and one hand on the trigger guard. They never did figure out where the "HEY JARHEAD" was coming from.

xp1a's , 15's , 6b's , 15b's , (x4) 7b's , (x4) 65s the xp15 and xp7b are my favorite's , really nice sound

I just, well, umm...

I made a trade plus cash and got: X101C, KX100, FM200B, FM100B, KM60, 500B, 550T, 500S and TA600. Oh and 4 new in the box 500T size wood cabinets - not original Fisher, but quality aftermarket.

I think I'm ready for the looney bin. Not a lot of tubes or feet between the lot of them. KM60 and 500B are part out material.

Oh, and a 100% original early TA800.

Time to place a $200 capacitor order with Mouser...

There are soooo many advantages to living in an area where Fisher gear was actively bought and used during its production lifetime........

Dave
This is very true. It also helps to know where the "old money" was in your area and whether there were any Fisher vendors around at that time. Lets face it, working class areas where there is a lot of low income housing is not where you're gonna find a Fisher, Scott, Mac, Marantz 7,8,10b, etc. My Fisher 400 came from literally the same neighborhood as my Scott 355 and had the same local vendor sticker stuck to the chassis of each unit. So I now know Fishers were sold in my hometown. (Yet they still seem hard to find.) Small farming communities are generally not good places to look for old Hi-Fi either but sometimes a farm will have ham radio gear and something will turn up.

99% of my FISHER gear came from an area in the western and southern suburbs of Wash, D.C. most of them within 5 miles of THERED1. There's nothing in Baltimore / Annapolis area. I'm surprised at the Annapolis area due to all of the old retired Military guys living there. Practically nothing as far as audio of any type. So I look in D.C.

This same logic holds true for most vintage high quality goods. Find an area that was affluent when the good you want was made, and had a dealer. I can't count the amazing 1950's and 60's European exotic cars I've seen come on the market out of the San Francisco bay area and LA over the last 20 years.

There was a Fisher dealer in Atlanta in the 60's. But its impact was insignificant. Nothing at all against Magnavox, but a base line console from this manufacturer is what populated 99% of the homes in the 60s -- that could afford a console -- in the deep south. Thank heavens for the net!

Dave

Great story Larry, and your Gramps sounds like a cool grandpa and an outstanding Marine.

Marine's will always be Marine's (or in my case "HEY JARHEAD!"). I got away with a hell of a lot more than the average swab jockey, being a FMF qualled HM. Grandpa was a WWII Marine with 1st MAG @ Guadalcanal. Insisted us Grandkids call him Grampa Jarhead. Loved that guy. I remember living in Housing in 1957-58 (I was 2-3 at the time) and playing on the patio (2 stories up) with my dog Rusty, and the Walking post would come around. I waited until he just turned the corner of the bldg, and I would yell out "HEY JARHEAD!" About 1/2 the time the PFC would come around the bldg with his M-1 @ port arms and one hand on the trigger guard. They never did figure out where the "HEY JARHEAD" was coming from.

I have culled the herd to:
500-C
Two X-101-C (one for each daughter living in my home)
400 (with daughter grown and gone)
X-1000

There may be a few odd pieces around like a beat up 500-TX
That's it.

I just, well, umm...

I made a trade plus cash and got: X101C, KX100, FM200B, FM100B, KM60, 500B, 550T, 500S and TA600. Oh and 4 new in the box 500T size wood cabinets - not original Fisher, but quality aftermarket.

I think I'm ready for the looney bin. Not a lot of tubes or feet between the lot of them. KM60 and 500B are part out material.

Oh, and a 100% original early TA800.

Time to place a $200 capacitor order with Mouser...

Your finding some nice Fisher items Matt! It was nice to visit and trade you the X-1000 I found earlier this year too :)

Finding Fisher's has been dry for a while, all though I can't say I've been looking very hard. Did find a few things recently and thought I'd add a couple to the list. Did find an X-202 and another X-1000 earlier this year. Kept the X-202 and traded the X-1000 as I only need one of those monsters!
The other day I bought a few items from an estate which had a couple Fisher, and several McIntosh items. Got another clean SA-100. This one has light blue pots and my other has red pots. Must be late and early version?? Also picked up another very nice 400 CX-2. Has a cabinet with a couple scratches in the wood but nothing serious...
Oh.... I forgot to list the 800B and Allegro I got from Matt :)

Dave

Your right Dave. There does seem to be an unfair amount of audio items here in Southern California and the San Francisco area. Last week a Fisher 400 CX-2 came up for $800 on craigslist. I contacted the original seller 15 minutes too late. Someone bought it, relisted and sold it the same day for $1500. I knew it was the same one that was sold earlier that day from the markings on the chassis. Sold twice in one day!

Last edited:
Here in NC I have found lots of Fisher receivers but very few Fisher amps. I have two SA-100 amps and know where a X-1000 or a sa-1000 amp is EL-34 outputs. I know the grandson of a Fisher dealer from him I have bought at few of my Fishers, hope he comes to radio show I am at on Friday with the 400CX-2 pre that he has and hopefully the price will be good.

Back
Top Bottom