Selling Quandary, what would you do

Weird one. I suppose I would just set it aside, in a closet or something until he contacts you.

There will be... eventually I'm sure, but I don't think I'd loose sleep over when it would be. Like I said, if it were me, that's what I'd do.

How much are we talking about?

Exactly 3 years ago, I sold a power amp to an AKer through Barter Town.

"You should probably ship it to my work address.

They look to be hiding it and not wanting to have it shipped home.

I have tried at least 10 attempts using Conversations/PMs,

And this AKer is occasionally active in the forums.

I don't think some of the members are reading the OP clearly...

After three years and the member is still active ignoring messages and attempts to get him an item they paid for they forfeit any ownership IMHO.

If your that inconsiderate, I have no time for you,
If your using me for storage, I have no time for you,
I could die tomorrow and could care less if you lost out on anything for your ignorance.

I also wouldn't send any money back if the transaction was done though Paypal, that email could be long dead after three years.

To me, there would be no question about keeping the money. You came through on your end of the deal, and by accepting the cash, you agreed to deliver the item. You would have been able to sell it to some other buyer long ago if you hadn't accepted his money.

So that just leaves disposal of the item. You now have documented proof that you've been trying to deliver, so it really falls on what feels right to you. I, personally, would be inclined to stick it in a closet and hold it until my next move. Hopefully to the ever after. But if not, that is when I would look at disposal. And maybe tape a letter with an explanation underneath, in case you forget :)

This happened to me, once, and I ended up donating it to a thrift when I moved. It sat in the garage for 5 years before that.

Recently, I communicated: if I do not receive any communication from you after 7 days, I will donate the amp to charity.
What more can I do and What would you do?

That's all I'd do, you'v went far and above what you needed to, be done with it.

Dump it at the GW this weekend and call it a day, maybe some AK will post a score over it.

I accept donations,let me know how much the shipping will be,and i PROMISE i will send you the cash.:D

Years ago I was living in a rental house. We bought a place about 25 miles east. At the time I had a 73 Buick Apollo (Buick's version of a Nova) with a bad 350 Buick motor. I had a guy come around wanting to buy it. We settled on a price and he didn't have enough cash at the time. He gave me a deposit to hold it til the end of the month when we were moving out. I told him, you gotta come and pay for the rest before we have to be out or else the car is going elsewhere. He was a no show at months end and it went to the scrapper for next to nothing, I still miss that car, It hauled before I blew the motor.

I will do so in 6 days. Thanks

I doubt this could come back to haunt but some precautions are in order. A transaction like this is a civil matter but you never know who the buyer may talk to. Be sure to print all your communications. You must be able to demonstrate that you acted reasonably and gave many, many opportunities for the buyer to arrange for and take delivery of his item. The buyer's behavior over an extended period of time should be more than enough to demonstrate abandonment. Playing defense is a hassle for sure and IMO a real imposition.

If the buyer can't even answer a pm, I don't think he will be calling a lawyer over this. He could probably buy half a dozen more of these amps for what that would cost..

Not assuming the worst... maybe the buyer put you on the "ignore" list, by accident(?). He/she wouldn't see your posts or know that you PM'ed him/her. Maybe get a mod to help. Have them PM your message to the buyer. They would HAVE to get the message that way and there wouldn't be any more excuses. Just check to make sure they've logged in since the mod sent the message and that's really about the best you can do. Good for you for trying, even after 3 years. It's a much better attitude than many on here have. I've never done business with you but I wouldn't hesitate in the future.

Not assuming the worst... maybe the buyer put you on the "ignore" list, by accident(?). He/she wouldn't see your posts or know that you PM'ed him/her. Maybe get a mod to help. Have them PM your message to the buyer. They would HAVE to get the message that way and there wouldn't be any more excuses. Just check to make sure they've logged in since the mod sent the message and that's really about the best you can do. Good for you for trying, even after 3 years. It's a much better attitude than many on here have. I've never done business with you but I wouldn't hesitate in the future.

The OP said he tried to contact the buyer through pm's,AND EMAILS.
So even if the buyer ACCIDENTALLY blocked his PM's they should have still got the emails.

OH YEAH,couldn't the BUYER still contact the seller,we are talking about 3 YEARS not 3 months, come on, no more excuses.
THE BUYER ABANDONED THE AMP,PERIOD.

If anyone wants to purchase some gear,pay me for it, and then disappear like a fart in the wind please contact me.

Last edited:
No need to shout, we're right here. :)

Sorry,but when i see posts that say,store it in the closet and give it a little more time,or maybe the buyer was having a problem contacting the seller for the last 3 years makes me CRAZY LIKE THAT.:D

Hey John,so when you say "It's never loud enough" ,that doesn't include typing.:)

Last edited:
>> Exactly 3 years ago, I sold a power amp to an AKer through Barter Town.

First - what kind of money are you talking about?
If its - say - under $150, I'd say you've done your due dilligence and can sell it off elsewhere ...
Is the buyer still a current member here?
(We have had a few deaths recently)

Sorry,but when i see posts that say,store it in the closet and give it a little more time,or maybe the buyer was having a problem contacting the seller for the last 3 years makes me CRAZY LIKE THAT.:D
The OP has held on to this piece for THREE YEARS, a little more time isn't going to kill him. It's nice to encourage someone who wants to go above and beyond, well beyond the normal limits of other people. This site and our society could do with more people like the OP.

The OP has held on to this piece for THREE YEARS, a little more time isn't going to kill him. It's nice to encourage someone who wants to go above and beyond, well beyond the normal limits of other people. This site and our society could do with more people like the OP.

So what time limit would you put on it,5 years,more,or would you keep it in storage forever?
It's CLEAR the buyer has no intention of ever contacting the seller,and the seller has gone "above and beyond" a long time ago.
To suggest the seller should drag this out any longer is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom