Is OLED worth the extra money??

slow_jazz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Was looking at a 65 inch OLED LG tv and it looked great.

Also looked at some Sony and Samsung tvs.

The OLED I thought looked the best of any of them but not sure if it's worth the extra money.

Any thoughts??
Thanks,
greg

I'm not an early adopter, so I'd be leery as this technology is advancing rapidly
4K sets are stunning compared to 1080p, but how long before it is supplanted by something even better?
I'm amazed at the current sets at work, but know that something better is probably waiting in the wings.
Then again, my 8 year old 720p plasma looks great on OTA programming...

That's something only you can decide. Personally, I would be hard pressed to buy an LCD display. Having lived with CRTs and now Plasma, OLED would be the first choice. If there are more manufactures of OLED sets, then the prices would most likely come down. Are you able to wait?

There's no doubt that OLED has the best picture, but the difference is less pronounced when you have your new TV at home, properly calibrated, and don't have dozens of others next to it with which to compare screens.

OLED TVs are great for those who don't have to ask how much it is. For the rest of us there are plenty of reasonable alternatives.

Make sure you do your homework on DSE (Dirty Screen effect), I was an early adapter of 4k and have gone through 6 tvs all were plagued with DSE. After my extensive research I found that it's common for these new tvs to have this problem,yes the oleds as well and I tell you it's very annoying. I finally got a fairly decent one a Samsung 8000 series, go it professionaly calibrated and the picture is pretty good and best of all no DSE on this one. That's not to say that the 8000 series of Samsung 4k tvs don't have some that are plagued with DSE as it's a hit and miss. All in all if I had to do it all over again I would still have my Pioneer elite pro 111fd and wait a few years until there's a certainty with quality control and with the format itself because 4k is evolving very fast.

This is pretty much what I do for a living… OLED LG has the best black, but not the best color. Sony HDR has the best color but the blacks are not as good. Samsung is the best balance but doesn't excel at blacks or Color.

It's preference at this point. To me the best is Sony HDR because I like my color to look like what I really see. But the shadows, greyscale… blacks are what are compromised a tad. It's still my preferred TV at the moment. Anything like 840 or 850 D or better 9 series SONY with HDR is to me the best value and future ready there is right now.

I'll also comment that I don't think OLED is the future. I think it's very good, but not the future.

I would look at the off axis reproduction. Thats why I keep my plasma as we observe our display most of the time off axis. Only while viewing Blu ray do we sit on axis. At my viewing distance resolution is not the issue. But the depth of blacks and the speed of the processing required I suspect would be much better with OLED. Two 8k screens were released at this years Winter Consumer electronics show for sale to consumers and prototypes have been reviewed for the last 3 years. Panasonic has released advanced 4K OLED screens in Europe recently with advanced processing that are supposed to be spectacular.

Last edited:
Make sure you do your homework on DSE (Dirty Screen effect), I was an early adapter of 4k and have gone through 6 tvs all were plagued with DSE. After my extensive research I found that it's common for these new tvs to have this problem,yes the oleds as well and I tell you it's very annoying. I finally got a fairly decent one a Samsung 8000 series, go it professionaly calibrated and the picture is pretty good and best of all no DSE on this one. That's not to say that the 8000 series of Samsung 4k tvs don't have some that are plagued with DSE as it's a hit and miss. All in all if I had to do it all over again I would still have my Pioneer elite pro 111fd and wait a few years until there's a certainty with quality control and with the format itself because 4k is evolving very fast.

I have the Pioneer too... a fifty inch. If it dies I would buy an LCD to replace it and get used to it rather quickly, but that Pioneer Plasma has the best picture quality of any except for those, as of yet, expensive OLED screens. When the price comes down and they have proven themselves in the market I would buy one to replace my heavy, power hungry Pioneer. But till then, unless it dies.

I haven't even read all of the responses yet but man I am just so frustrated. I came right to this forum because I am SICK and tired of LCD. The technology sucks and the tv's suck. It's just easy and cheap to make. I was so excited to get my new Samsung KS8000 65 INCH. I took two days off last week, had it mounted on my wall and have spent so much time trying to get the picture right since then. I might even go as far to have it professionally calibrated but I am VERY disappointed. I went through 2 Samsung's last year and returned them both. Looks like this will be the 3rd Samsung I return. Oh and just for comparison purposes I have one of Panasonic's top of the line Plasma's. The VT50 55 inch. It's stunning, I just wanted a bigger picture. Guess I will just keep searching on Craigslist for a 65inch VT50 or VT60 series.

I'm not an early adopter, so I'd be leery as this technology is advancing rapidly
4K sets are stunning compared to 1080p, but how long before it is supplanted by something even better?
I'm amazed at the current sets at work, but know that something better is probably waiting in the wings.
Then again, my 8 year old 720p plasma looks great on OTA programming...

No. They are for sure NOT stunning compared to 1080P sets. Yes, maybe with the absolute perfect source and material 4K produces a nice looking colorful bright picture but who spends all day watching waterfalls and humming birds fly around? Most of the stuff we watch is not that and 4K TV's don't do the picture justice compared to 1080P. In my opinion this is where we took a step backwards in quality, when they stopped making plasma and started pushing cheap @ss LCD's. I am done with this technology.

I will have to do my research on DSE because I think my Samsung KS8000 might have it. I was watching a show last night and the scene was at night, they the character was standing on a bridge and you could see the black sky behind him, the sky did not look black and half the screen had this white smoky looking picture, it looked terrible. The in another scene, the character dropped a book in a dark room and there was all this haze on and around the book when they zoomed in on it. Even my wife said something and she isn't picky at all. Don''t have this problem with my plasma at all. My advice is to wait or buy a used plasma while you can.

No. They are for sure NOT stunning compared to 1080P sets. Yes, maybe with the absolute perfect source and material 4K produces a nice looking colorful bright picture but who spends all day watching waterfalls and humming birds fly around? Most of the stuff we watch is not that and 4K TV's don't do the picture justice compared to 1080P. In my opinion this is where we took a step backwards in quality, when they stopped making plasma and started pushing cheap @ss LCD's. I am done with this technology.

You need 4K if screen size is over 60". 4K looks excellent on 120-150" screen via projector. Though keep in mind that source has to be up to the task. Also 4K panel (even smaller, like 50") can be an excellent computer monitor if you need a lot of screen space - it is a good alternative to having 2-3-4 monitors, like many do in their workstation setup.

As to OLED - this is the only real successor to plasma. Though current generation of OLED panels have their own problems and on my opinion is not ready for prime time yet. But if all you watch is regular TV or movies streamed over Internet - you will not see real advantage from either 4K or OLED. This is like playing 128kbps MP3 via high-end audio system.

I will have to do my research on DSE because I think my Samsung KS8000 might have it. I was watching a show last night and the scene was at night, they the character was standing on a bridge and you could see the black sky behind him, the sky did not look black and half the screen had this white smoky looking picture, it looked terrible. The in another scene, the character dropped a book in a dark room and there was all this haze on and around the book when they zoomed in on it. Even my wife said something and she isn't picky at all. Don''t have this problem with my plasma at all. My advice is to wait or buy a used plasma while you can.

What you explaining is likely a limitation of light source zones. This is a technology used in modern LCD panels to increase perceived contrast. Panel backlight is not uniformed, but split on several hundreds individual zones - each with separate brightness setting. When bright object is on the screen, zone or zones where it is located have more light produced by LEDs behind LCD. Of cause when zone size/location does not exactly match picture on the screen, you will see some kind of halo where backlight is still bright, but LCD contrast is not sufficient to dim it and match with surrounding dark area where backlight is dimmer.

I have the Pioneer too... a fifty inch. If it dies I would buy an LCD to replace it and get used to it rather quickly, but that Pioneer Plasma has the best picture quality of any except for those, as of yet, expensive OLED screens. When the price comes down and they have proven themselves in the market I would buy one to replace my heavy, power hungry Pioneer. But till then, unless it dies.
I have the Pro 111FD as well. I keep an eye out on CL for either the 50" or 60" KURO sets locally for a spare just in case mine bites the bullet. I just saw one in Orange County for under $500.

I overlook the power issue because the picture is so good.

What you explaining is likely a limitation of light source zones. This is a technology used in modern LCD panels to increase perceived contrast. Panel backlight is not uniformed, but split on several hundreds individual zones - each with separate brightness setting. When bright object is on the screen, zone or zones where it is located have more light produced by LEDs behind LCD. Of cause when zone size/location does not exactly match picture on the screen, you will see some kind of halo where backlight is still bright, but LCD contrast is not sufficient to dim it and match with surrounding dark area where backlight is dimmer.
Look it up DSE (Dirty Screen effect) is a real thing and manufacturers are letting tvs go out to consumers knowing about it.

I have the Pro 111FD as well. I keep an eye out on CL for either the 50" or 60" KURO sets locally for a spare just in case mine bites the bullet. I just saw one in Orange County for under $500.

I overlook the power issue because the picture is so good.
Keep that awesome plasma for as long as it works. I used to have the same TV and regret letting her go.

Back
Top Bottom