Investigating speaker wire: recommend two that sound obviously different

asilker

Parts are almost all here for my Tubelab SE 300b amp. I'll be running the amp onto Tekton Lore and Audio Nirvana 12" super drivers. Investigating the best in high efficiency speakers will be next this year.

I have never owned anything above monoprice 16ga copper. Id like to discover if speaker wires really do sound different. Please do not discuss if speaker wire sounds different in this thread. It has been done before.

If you believe cables make a difference, please recommend two cables I can try back to back at home to get a sense of what the difference can be like.

Pic for attention:
P_20170316_121229.jpg

Don't trip your in the cutting edge, rules are different here

Anyway I like my Audioquest rocket 33, and I also have a pair of Kimber Kables that I really like. However I don't know what the KKs are called they are bi-speaker wires,black mesh covered, bananas one end spades the other. They are also braided under the mesh like what made KK a great cable company in the first place.

Don't trip your in the cutting edge, rules are different here
Ha! Not tripping... Just bored of that particular conversation (IE theoretical reasons why/why not cabling matters)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Per another member, he heard major differences between:

Blue Jeans
Deulund/Belden
Morrow

With the Morrow being by far the best, for HIS system (Quad 57 speakers with Marantz 8b amp and Juicy Music Blueberry preamp).

Trying some Morrow cables is now on my "to-do" list.

@Crestwood23

The heavyest Blue Jeans speakercables are 10awg solid core from what I know, that`s wery close to be a decent cable, at least for smaller speakers/shorter wiring.
A solid core in the 9awg-area (or moore, like 7awg) will (after a shorter burn-in) open up and give a absolutely different sound in many ways since it allows tour amp to breathe a lot moore feely.
An open, moore relaxed top, cleaner moore dynamic mid and most of all a lot moore body in the lower end. The frequense-range stays the same, it just feels different.

Most socalled hifi-cables will appear to be different to this, how much will depend on your equipment

The first one I'd recommend you trying is Radio Shack 18 ga...easy to find and cheap.

Second one is "teflon coated silver"...real teflon and all silver. Harder to find and can be pretty expensive.

fwiw, I love 300b SET's and think, when mated to the right speaker, produce some of the best sound I have ever heard.

Speaker cables I have tried were the Monoprice DIY, Emotiva, Blue Jeans Cable, and just yesterday the AudioQuest Type 8. The Blue Jeans Cable are a no nonsense, no frills that are a great performer. I would not recommend Emotiva due to poor quality. One cable came apart where the jacket meets the outer sleeve exposing the wires, and I've had several bananas come apart and could not be put back together.

My order consisted of two new ethernet cable CAT 6, a Pangea 14 power cord for my network audio player, and the AQ Type 8. All of these have only been in my system for 24 hours and there is a difference. What generally took turning the volume up three notches, the volume now is up around 5 or 6. Do speaker cables require a burn-in? However, the sound is very good. I am not a top notch audiophile who can explain this in audiophile terms. I am curious to know if this normal or am I experiencing something totally different?

I have used Reality speaker cables in some very high-end systems I've had over the years. They are relatively inexpensive compared to other offerings, even when purchased new. They don't come up for sale used very often, which may or may not tell you something. If I find some used again, I'd snatch 'em up darn fast.

I've been using QED silver anniversary in my system and am still very happy with it. I also like the van damme blue speaker cables i got for my son's system it's very good quality cable for the price.

I have used Morrow and I liked them, but for silver wire I now much prefer Clear Day cables. You should hear the appearance of my clearity with silver wires. More detail, less warm. I'd go for his Shotgun Cables at least. The singles sound a bit thin to me. He'll send out loaners for free. Paul Ladauti. I use 2 sets of his double-Shotguns in my main system. So double double Shotguns. I'm pleased.

In one of my tube systems I'm using Duelund DCA16GA and i think it's a great value. It's more relaxed and "natural sounding." They are very different and should sound different than your current stuff.

Have fun!!

- Woody

If you want to hear a "difference" between speaker cables get most anything made by Nordost and then compare it to the older model Cardas 5C. Nordost leans toward the lean side and the Cardas 5C is very mellow - almost like turning the treble knob counterclockwise a bit. Both are good cables, but definitely have different sonic characters. Mind you the difference is subtle, but usually noticeable when you use these two cables. Listen also to the sound staging with each - as you may (depending on system) hear differences there also.

The heavyest Blue Jeans speakercables are 10awg solid core from what I know, that`s wery close to be a decent cable, at least for smaller speakers/shorter wiring.
A solid core in the 9awg-area (or moore, like 7awg) will (after a shorter burn-in) open up and give a absolutely different sound in many ways since it allows tour amp to breathe a lot moore feely.
An open, moore relaxed top, cleaner moore dynamic mid and most of all a lot moore body in the lower end. The frequense-range stays the same, it just feels different.

Most socalled hifi-cables will appear to be different to this, how much will depend on your equipment

The Blue Jeans cables aren't solid core - they are stranded. Solid core 10AWG is extremely inflexible and difficult to work with.

The Blue Jeans cables aren't solid core - they are stranded. Solid core 10AWG is extremely inflexible and difficult to work with.

Ok, thanks, I`ve been told they were. Yeah, solid is stiffer but no match for a mans hands and the performance makes them worth it. No exotic cable at any price comes near to a thick (min 9awg) solid core.

I would have thought a simple (and cheap) test would be to use a 16 or 14 gauge extension cable (stranded) with the ends cut off, and some 12/2 or 14/2 Romex (solid core). Then, try some cheap thin bell wire, and some solid core Cat 5 cable.

Lee.

I can easily hear the difference between that ages old "speaker wire" that was, like, stranded 22 gauge wiring in a clear jacket, vs. 18 or 16 gauge. And that was many years ago (back in the mid 1980s), using a long run of it. The 22 gauge must have had hella resistance in it, since it caused the amp to clip when the music wasn't even that loud. :D

I'm running bi-wired 14 gauge OFC at the moment. Until I get my "real" speakers in place, I am staying with the wire I have now.

When I had a pair of AN 12's, the Super were not available, I used a pair of Electra Print 300DRD amplifiers. I preferred the Audio Magic Illusion 4D speaker wire, and even wired the speakers internally with it. With SET and full range speakers I tended to prefer the ribbon type speaker wire. So I would look for a Goertz speaker wire in either silver or copper. There also happens to be a company from Taiwan that looks to make an interesting speaker cable. It's inexpensive enough to buy for curiosity.

s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Silk-...eaker-Cable-/282466089062?hash=item41c44a7866

I have also found the Analysis Plus Oval 9 speaker wire to be a good choice, and it can be had off the used market at fairly reasonable prices.

Regards
Mister Pig

Kimber Kable 8PR is a solid choice with good bass reproduction. It is relatively cheap.

I have used Morrow and I liked them, but for silver wire I now much prefer Clear Day cables. You should hear the appearance of my clearity with silver wires. More detail, less warm. I'd go for his Shotgun Cables at least. The singles sound a bit thin to me. He'll send out loaners for free. Paul Ladauti. I use 2 sets of his double-Shotguns in my main system. So double double Shotguns. I'm pleased.

In one of my tube systems I'm using Duelund DCA16GA and i think it's a great value. It's more relaxed and "natural sounding." They are very different and should sound different than your current stuff.

Have fun!!

- Woody
I made up some speaker cables for a friend using the Duelund DCA16GA in a twisted pair arrangement, had them in my own system till I passed them on to him. I normally use cables made using Neotech UP-OCC copper which I like, but i am now a big fan or this Duelund wire, tonally It's the best i have heard with lots of different tonal layering within a single note.....very noticeable in the bass.

Need to make some for myself.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/show-me-your-cables-please.782594/page-3

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom