Styles
BalletOrchestralElectronicaModern Composition
Recording Date
April, 2015

3 1/2 of 5

depeche-mode-spirit.jpg

Depeche Mode ~ Spirit
Columbia (17 March 2017)

As a long time fan of Depeche Mode, I'm rather disappointed in this one. 95% of what they attempt to do here, they've done before, and done it better. Its heavy on politics, but they've done political songs before that were much better ('People are People", "Policy of Truth", "Everything Counts"). For some reason, perhaps the lack of their former winking sense of humor, this one all falls flat for me. I shelled out extra for a deluxe edition with extra remixes, but now I'm questioning that decision.

Semper Femina ~ Laura Marling

"Laura Marling’s shatteringly gorgeous quasi-folk album Semper Femina. It’s an album about love and loss and uncertainty, and it pushes Marling’s voice and style in all sorts of interesting directions. There are orchestral flourishes, off-kilter rhythm sections, and vague hints of jazz, and it all holds together beautifully. It might be Marling’s best album."

320x320.jpg

Last edited:
edwc74qj2HsFKVU9lDW3xNxTwzS5YjhXUiNAHr5U18c8BCWffc0PAtrpGUF5iHmk8_susuq2=s512-c-e100-v1

Here is a genre-bending sound. I have found very little about this band other than they are from Dresden, Germany and released a couple EPs this year, both of which are outstanding. I believe the proper name of the band is L.O.W. the jazzcore section, not to be confused with the indie band Low? Obvious influences to my ears include free jazz, bop, King Crimson, Tool, and who knows what else. Bottom line is a unique band which works extremely well for me, and with exceptional production. If you want to hear something that doesn't fit neatly into a category and aren't afraid of sometimes dissident sounding 17 minute instrumentals give it a shot. I am addicted to the 3 EPs I have found by them, and look forward to more.

Last edited:
I tried to buy the new album by The Residents, The Ghost of Hope, but it is on back order from the distro. I've heard good things about this new set of songs about train wrecks, and am a long-time fan of the band.

I tried to buy the new album by The Residents, The Ghost of Hope, but it is on back order from the distro. I've heard good things about this new set of songs about train wrecks, and am a long-time fan of the band.

66885.jpg

The Residents ~ The Ghost of Hope
Cryptic Corporation (24 March 2017)

It came in this week. Six songs telling stories about train wrecks. Nothing too groundbreaking, pretty much standard Residents fare. Eric Drew Feldman (ex-Beefheart Magic Band) joins in on the fun.

Jerry Garcia Band
Garcia Live Volume 8
March 10th, 2017
Garcia-Live-Volume-Eight.jpg

The latest in a solid series of releases from the JGB. This could be the best in the series since Volume One. Jerry's playing is on fire here and his voice is sounding great as well. The band as a whole is really in a good groove at this point. Definitely worth adding if you are a fan of Garcia.
4/5 stars from me.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/garcialive-vol-8-november-23rd-1991-bradley-center-mw0003016748

58d14a1a4c3fe.jpg

Colourbox ~ Music of the Band (1982-1987)
4AD (24 March 2017)

I normally don't post compilations nor reissues in these threads, and this one is both, but here it is. Originally released on CD only, it was only available at a 2014 Wolfgang Tillmans exhibit in Berlin, where one of the works was "Playback Room" that featured the music of Colourbox. "Playback Room" is now part or a Tillmans exhibit at the Tate Modern in London, and this Tilman selected compilation is once again available on CD or double LP at the museum shop or mail order. I used mail order to purchase the LP as I have a rather extensive collection of Colourbox recordings. It is a limited edition, so if one is interested, now would be the time to act.

Colourbox are probably best remembered as one of the bands contributing to the classic "Pump up the Volume" single by M/A/R/R/S, which (of course) isn't included here. Steven Young passed away last year, and this reissue is dedicated to his memory. His brother Martyn Young has been working with the reunited Modern English, another 4AD band from the 80s, playing on & producing their latest album.

http://www.4ad.com/releases/773

Here is a rare appearance (lip synced, I am certain) of Colourbox from German TV:

IMG_7690.JPG

Boss Hog - Brood X. The first full length album release by this incarnation of Jon Spencer of Pussy Galore and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion fame, since 1999.

First listen here and I'm an admitted fanboy, so take it for what it's worth but I am seriously digging it. Pitchfork gave it 7.8/10 and describes it as " ...sleazy, funked-up, blues punk... ", sounds about right to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom