Any Friends of Bill W here @ AudioKarma

I was able to quit nicotine in 2001. They still call to me but I quit jonesing after a few months.
Congratulations! Believe me (experience) with smokes, the first puff will take you back! And you'll have it all to do over again!
I'm 33 years sober; giving up cigarettes was harder than booze.

I was able to quit nicotine in 2001. They still call to me but I quit jonesing after a few months.
Congratulations! Believe me (experience) with smokes, the first puff will take you back! And you'll have it all to do over again!
I'm 33 years sober; giving up cigarettes was harder than booze.
Same with me I found the cigs much harder to quit booze on the other hand was killing me so in that way I knew something had to give. Cigs not so much.

:bowdown:

It's 6.5 years for me. I quit smoking cigarettes at Christmas time. I'm still Jonesing for the smokes.

Easy does it.
As it turns out, I last had nicotine 5 years ago today. If I refrain from stupidity until late March, I will have 30 years sober so it certainly took longer to start the journey with cigarettes. The ONLY reality is that with each, today is what matters.

Thirty years ago today, I encountered a group of random individuals who assured me life could be pretty good if I would follow a few simple instructions. Several of them had been around varying numbers of years, but I seriously doubted my ability to do what they had done. Then a young man shared that he had been clean and sober for 30 days thanks to doing what these folks suggested. In that moment I found genuine hope and started down a new path that only had to be traveled one day at a time. Many thanks to all the people I've encountered along the way. Life certainly is pretty good.

Thirty years ago today, I encountered a group of random individuals who assured me life could be pretty good if I would follow a few simple instructions. Several of them had been around varying numbers of years, but I seriously doubted my ability to do what they had done. Then a young man shared that he had been clean and sober for 30 days thanks to doing what these folks suggested. In that moment I found genuine hope and started down a new path that only had to be traveled one day at a time. Many thanks to all the people I've encountered along the way. Life certainly is pretty good.
Congrats

I now have a support group of friends, some with 30+ years and most in the 20 year range. What I have found is that above all, they are content and serene, which is something I needed and wanted. They accepted me for who I am and have kept me in the middle of the herd giving me a new sense of purpose in life. And for that I will forever be grateful.

I now have a support group of friends, some with 30+ years and most in the 20 year range. What I have found is that above all, they are content and serene, which is something I needed and wanted. They accepted me for who I am and have kept me in the middle of the herd giving me a new sense of purpose in life. And for that I will forever be grateful.

I think you nailed it! "keeping me in the middle of the herd giving me a new sense of purpose in life"
Me too! Always the exception, always the scared outsider, always cynical, then I hit my bottom.
Now a part of, not apart from, now able to accept myself and others, for the first time in my life, a true member of a community.
Herd? Sometimes I call AA my tribe. And what a wonderful herd/tribe we be!

Back
Top Bottom