Anyone have a Sansui SR-838? I Need Help

dobyman

Turntable Addict
I recently grabbed a SR-838 and it had a speed issue, and my tech found a wiring harness was unplugged because someone was in there before trying to replace a strobe lamp. So he plugged the harness back in and the speed is dead on, but I asked him to replace the strobe lamp, and he tried but he says there is a piece missing that makes the light go into the crystal that throws light onto the platter markings.
My question is, does anyone have a 838 that they would be willing to pull the bottom off of and take a picture of the piece that transfers the light to the crystal? Or any other pic that would show me how to fabricate a piece to replace my missing part.
Thanks in advance for ANY help!

I wish I could help you Doby. I had one of these tables and they are very nice. I just sold mine a couple months ago. Miss it. Good luck with your issue hope you get it fixed.

Update. I couldnt stand it anymore so I had to find out why the light from the strobe would not go up through the crystal, so i started pulling the bottom of the chassis off. What I found is that people are IDIOTS! Someone somewhere down the line must have dropped something on the strobe crystal and broke whatever was holding it in place from underneath. So they took the time to remove the bottom casing and remove the metal chassis and used black masking tape to hold the crystal up in place so it looked good from the topside. BUT, they completely covered the bottom of the crystal so no light could get through it! WTF?
I removed all of the tape, glued the crystal in place from the bottom and positioned the strobe near the bottom of the crystal so the light would shine through. Looks good from the top. Not original or OEM, but its now a working, super clean SR-838.
0DA2A596-985A-43F0-9CA9-D96B393941C0_zpsfadoedzo.jpg

That is just too damn sexy. Is that a stock or aftermarket disc press weight? does that do any real benefit?

Looks wonderful and congrats on getting it working. Looks like you have the same cart I have on mine, Denon DL-110.

That is just too damn sexy. Is that a stock or aftermarket disc press weight? does that do any real benefit?
Thanks fish mojo, Just a weight I got off of ebay. I think they tighten up the bass quite a bit. I use them on all of my tables.

Looks wonderful and congrats on getting it working. Looks like you have the same cart I have on mine, Denon DL-110.
Thanks grillbilly, and yes. I have another DL-110 on my DP-72L. They are very good carts for the money.
I am so glad this table came back to life. It sounds as good as it looks.

Thanks grillbilly, and yes. I have another DL-110 on my DP-72L. They are very good carts for the money.
I am so glad this table came back to life. It sounds as good as it looks.

He he I have one on my DP-61f. Yes, very happy with them. I picked up a third when Comet had them for $100.

Its funny, I still have no idea what the strobe lamp holder and undercarriage of this table is supposed to look like. The quartz lock "ON" lamp is not even under there anymore. Its just gone. No idea what it looked like, what wattage, or where it attached to on the PCB. But, I guess I should just be happy that's its back and looking and working as good as it is. But things like that just bug me! :dunno:

Where did you get those feet? I need those for my 838.

Those are Audio Technica feet, available in two sizes, based on weight of the turntable.

AT605 four in a set with a bubble level for up to 16kg tables, these were silver
AT606 four in a set with level for 16-32kg tables these were gray. I have not seen these in person.
They also came with four discs of non-woven sheet to protect whatever they were sitting on and were height adjustable. They show up all the time, occasionally on the bay and BT for $75±15

Forgot to mention, the ones shown on @dobyman's table are installed upside down. They may fit better that way.

Last edited:
Those are Audio Technica feet, available in two sizes, based on weight of the turntable.

AT605 four in a set with a bubble level for up to 16kg tables, these were silver
AT606 four in a set with level for 16-32kg tables these were gray. I have not seen these in person.
They also came with for discs of non-woven sheet to protect whatever they were sitting on and were height adjustable. They show up all the time, occasionally on the bay and BT for $75±15
Exactly. These are 605's. I bought 2 pair. One for the 838 and one for the Denon DP-72L. I paid under $60 per set. I think they really improve the looks of almost any table.
D4ABE25A-2C30-443C-A556-532513B21F62_zpsikrbwmmt.jpg

I should have said I bought 2 sets, not pairs. I bought one set on ebay and the other I snagged on Craigslist near me. Do a ebay search for AT-605 isolation feet.

Back
Top Bottom