Show Us Your Dinner! (Home Cooking ONLY please!)

Roast chicken thighs, roasted red potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts.

0319171948.jpg

Duck/shitake mushroom spring rolls, spring cabbage/cucumber salad, and a chili/coriander mayo for exstra nom :)

Pho' (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)

We enjoy this regularly around here. It takes around 26 hours to make a batch, which is then separated into its component parts and frozen separately. Later, the fresh components are added to the frozen components and voila, Pho.

Dinner (3-21).jpg

I have listed the specifics of making this previously, so I won't repeat them here. Needless to say, this batch turned out to be quite tasty
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ooking-only-please.696992/page-5#post-9363491

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
I'll have to try that sometime. I'm quite well versed in the Danish, French, and Italian quisines, but that's pretty much it for my part. So I am looking to branch out into some different cooking styles from the ones I'm used to.

This one is one of our household favorites, and great for intimate dinners with close friends. When entertaining, the cooking is done in an electric skillet, at the table, where all the ingredients are presented in small bowls, and everyone participates in putting items in the skillet, as they run low, and taking them out, when cooked to their liking.

At home, in personal-sized caste-iron skillets, we do a quick saute of the beef, in fresh beef suet, then add in the Sukiyaki sauce and other ingredients in a pleasant visual arrangement and simmer for a brief period and serve.

Japanese Sukiyaki

Dinner (3-23).jpg

What all goes into this tasty treat has been posted in a previous thread. I will just refer you there: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ooking-only-please.696992/page-7#post-9382771

Enjoy,
Rich P

Something different tonight ... Stuffed squash w/lamb chops ...

lamb-stuffed-squash.jpg

Acorn squash pre-baked, then filled with a mix of mushrooms, onions, rotel, sweet peppers, and shredded cheese. The filling is also mostly cooked in advance and added to the squash after that's gone tender. Another 15 minutes to melt the cheese and meld the flavors from there.

Lamb chops were marinated overnight in onions, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine, and flavored with garlic, marjoram and thyme.

Nice mix of flavors ... gonna have to put this on my "favorites" list.

Something different tonight ... Stuffed squash w/lamb chops ...

lamb-stuffed-squash.jpg

Acorn squash pre-baked, then filled with a mix of mushrooms, onions, rotel, sweet peppers, and shredded cheese. The filling is also mostly cooked in advance and added to the squash after that's gone tender. Another 15 minutes to melt the cheese and meld the flavors from there.

Lamb chops were marinated overnight in onions, lemon juice, olive oil, red wine, and flavored with garlic, marjoram and thyme.

Nice mix of flavors ... gonna have to put this on my "favorites" list.
I love lamb. Did you add the marjoram and thyme to your marinade or use after. I add a sprig of rosemary and thyme to my marinade. That plate looks great.

... both. Why half step? <G>

I'd think parsley would bes a nice touch too, but I didn't have any. :(

PS ... I bake the lamb right in the marinade as well, in a glass dish with foil on top so it can steam a bit in it's juices.

And ya ... what's the deal with lamb anyway? Right tasty meat, yet not all that popular. My local grocery has a hundred feet of meat, and maybe two of that's lamb. Used to be it was quite expensive compared to beef and pork, but that's no longer true.

... both. Why half step? <G>

I'd think parsley would bes a nice touch too, but I didn't have any. :(

PS ... I bake the lamb right in the marinade as well, in a glass dish with foil on top so it can steam a bit in it's juices.

And ya ... what's the deal with lamb anyway? Right tasty meat, yet not all that popular. My local grocery has a hundred feet of meat, and maybe two of that's lamb. Used to be it was quite expensive compared to beef and pork, but that's no longer true.

Yes parsley would be good. All my herbs are just coming back from winters hibernation. I've also used balsamic vinegar in the lamb marinade. As for the unpopularity of lamb I don't really know. I think most people had it when they were young. Probably over cooked and very dry giving it a strong flavor. That's how my wife remembers it.

And ya ... what's the deal with lamb anyway?

First - whatever it is that produces the lanolin in their skin/wool can have a rank smell that alot of people don't care for. The older the animal, the stronger the smell/taste. My late grandmother used to fix mutton from time to time, and I could barely stand the smell of it cooking.

Beef can be just as bad. We used to raise some beef for our own use. They let them graze in a field that had tons of oak trees. The cattle would eat the acorns, and it gave the fat a terrible smell and taste. I hated eating our own beef. At 66 years old, I'm just now getting to the point where I'll eat a steak once in awhile.

Cabbage Rolls tonite ...

cabbage-rolls2.jpg

Those usually follow close behind corned beef and cabbage. I peel the outer leaves and save those to wrap the cabbage rolls. Those are a mix of hamburger, sage sausage, barley, and whole egg, with basic seasoning, and topped with spaghetti sauce.

Ah ... speaking of corn beef and cabbage ... that was a couple days ago and I forgot to post it up.

corn-beef-cabbage.jpg

The corned beef pretty much fell apart after maybe 8 hours in the crock pot, stewing in onion soup. Plenty left for sandwiches. The cabbage and potatoes were added to the pot a couple hours before serving so they stayed firm.

Thanks. I think it turned out pretty well too.
I used a rump steak (I think - beef is cut slightly differently here, but it's the cut right behind the sirloin), which I like because it's both affordable, and flavourful. Also it usually comes in a good thickness, so you can get a nice sear on the outside without overcooking it. It got a good minute per side on a high heat, and then I turned it down to around medium, added some sliced onions, and gave it a few more minutes on each side until it was almost done. Then I put it aside to rest, while the onions got nicely caramellised with some balsamic vinegar and a bit of Worcestershire sauce. Served on toasted dark rye, and topped with eggs - quick, easy, and delicious, all in one pan :)

Back
Top Bottom