Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I'm jealous of you guys with a GW BTP near you. Those places sound like fun hunting grounds!

It has completely changed my thrift shopping. I go there twice a week and find good items (records, CDs, stereo gear, books, etc.) for very low prices. I pick up more at the BTP in one week than I usually find in a month of running around the countryside to the other stores.

Also, every time I go there the stock is almost completely different. I don't find records at BTP every visit, but it is frequent enough that I can't resist going there. The main draw is the price. 20 cents a pound for records where many of my other stops charge $2.00 an album now.

They have raised the prices a couple of times, but not on the records and books.

Wow, 1110 messages! The thrill of a deal is always irresistible. I found a Sears Twin Twelve guitar head unit amp running a pair of 5881's once at a Goodwill in Wisconsin for $50 and it worked. I still have it and someday plan to rebuild it. I don't play so it always finds its' way to the bottom of the priority list. The guy or gal who owned it must have traveled with it in a hot car. All the knobs are melted around the aluminum inserts. Weird. Maybe I can straighten them out by re-heating the plastic and forcing something into the knob to hold it straight while it cools? I have an Epilepsy Foundation thrift store near me that I check out frequently. Have never found or even seen anything old with tubes in that place. Might be against their policy to sell stuff that is really old. I did score a pair of Jensen System C speakers for $10 not long ago. The cabinets and grilles are in great shape, but the foam surrounds have had it. The Les Turner ALS Foundation used to have a yearly Music Mart tent sale at Old Orchard Mall (Chicago) with thousands of old records and lots of gear. Dick Clark was a supporter and contributor. It was always fun to go to, but as time passed album demand slowed and the last event was held in 2002. Since then the ALS Foundation has found other less labor intensive ways to raise money so it is unlikely to ever return. I have better luck with estate sales than anything else. Attending estate sales can be crazy around here and a lot of work. People show up at 4am or earlier sometimes just to get in line. And sometimes the item you're interested in is sold early or mysteriously isn't there when the sales opens. I've had that happen a couple times, but I've also been fortunate to find some great stuff. I got my Thorens TD124, Fisher X202, Fisher 400 preamp, Fisher 100T tuner/preamp, Bozak Symphonies, & EV-Centurion at estate sales so there are deals if you're persistent.

Picked up a JVC FS-7000 Executive Micro System yesterday. Cherrywood speaker cabinets in beautiful condition, CDP working, no scratches anywhere. Display a bit dim, no remote, but a nice, elegant little shelf system.

IMG_20170405_185544.jpg

IMG_20170405_185445.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a JVC FS-7000 Executive Micro System yesterday. Cherrywood speaker cabinets in beautiful condition, CDP working, no scratches anywhere. Display a bit dim, no remote, but a nice, elegant little shelf system.

Those little speakers are pretty amazing if you keep the volume in check and place them near a wall.

Picked up the same system with the cherry finish speakers and remote in mint condition 10 years ago at GW for $25. It's still running today!

Those little speakers are pretty amazing if you keep the volume in check and place them near a wall.

Agreed. I have a pair (not cherry) that I picked up at a garage sale for $2. Within limitations they're pretty darn nice. Only drawback to me is that they're pre-wired. One of these days I'm going to break out the hole saw and install terminal cups.

I found this Sansui P-L51 at GW for $5 not sure what the value of these are. It's really cool when you see how the tonearm moves and all the buttons light up like a space ship, even the tonearm has a little red light on it.

You can see some of the light bulbs have gone out and need to be replaced, not all the buttons light up all the way. But I'm not sure if it's worth it.

It feels well built, idk why but it kinda reminds me of the movie Tron, maybe the shape of the tonearm and the red light on it.

Attachments

• 20170405_115525.jpg
    20170405_115525.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20170405_115506.jpg
    20170405_115506.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20170405_115516.jpg
    20170405_115516.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 20170405_115405.jpg
    20170405_115405.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 85
Agreed. I have a pair (not cherry) that I picked up at a garage sale for $2. Within limitations they're pretty darn nice. Only drawback to me is that they're pre-wired. One of these days I'm going to break out the hole saw and install terminal cups.

This model has 'em, but there were several models in the series, some of which may have had wired speakers.

IMG_0189.JPG

I picked up an onkyo cp1500f turntable the other day. Good condition. Turns on and locks speed. Has a AT cart, one of the cheaper ones but looks brand new.. Haven't tested any farther than that yet.

I found this Sansui P-L51 at GW for $5 not sure what the value of these are. It's really cool when you see how the tonearm moves and all the buttons light up like a space ship, even the tonearm has a little red light on it.

You can see some of the light bulbs have gone out and need to be replaced, not all the buttons light up all the way. But I'm not sure if it's worth it.

It feels well built, idk why but it kinda reminds me of the movie Tron, maybe the shape of the tonearm and the red light on it.
Looks like that would match my Sansui A-1100 stack lol

Back
Top Bottom