Universal Remotes for Int. & Pre Amps. Luck?

Old Guy8

My Jazz buddy's: Cliff (RIP) & Cleo
Subscriber
What's your experience, luck useing universal remotes for Integrated and Pre-amps? I mean the under $25 variety, not near or over $100 ones. From looking at the packaging description you can't tell if or what functions will work on your amp.
My latest, is a Sony ES pre-amp TA-E1000ESD that I aquired from original owner with matching power amp. I had a RCA model RCRPS06GR remote with an Audio input button. This gives me On/Off, Mute, Volume functions. I can live with this, as a minimum. I've tried some other brands with less luck.
What is your experience, luck useingIMG_20170405_120323.jpgIMG_20170405_120458.jpg IMG_20170405_120458.jpg universal remotes for Integrated and Pre-amps?

Get a a Logitech Harmony 350, Amazon has them for 25 bucks and you will be in business. I had the same pre and it worked just great. There setup program works pretty easily, you hook the remote up to your computer locate the device from their database and then you can add additional functionality as you desire to the other buttons that are unassigned. Plus you can operate up to 7 more devices as well.

Sandstrom,
Thanks for Harmony 350 recommendation. Will check out.

I have a TA-E1000ESD and it came with a great big Sony remote control. I believe it has learning functions also. It also runs my newer Sony SA50ES FM tuner (an accidental discovery).

["WaynerN, post: 10442519, member: 150829"]I have a TA-E1000ESD and it came with a great big Sony remote control. I believe it has learning functions also. It also runs my newer Sony SA50ES FM tuner (an accidental discovery).[/QUOTE]

Wayner,
Former owner said he never had a remote. He bought at PX in Germany. I bought it at garage sale with a TA-N330ES power amp (in repair shop) and an ES CD carousel. The other two need a little work. I only paid $60 for three, so sale didn't hinge on having remote.
I only intend to use 1000ES as a 2 channel pre-amp and its phono pre also. Wiil be driving stacked Advents or KLH Fives. So hope there aren't functions I need, that only that remote can do. From glancing at manual, think will be alright.
I have a Sony remote from another 80's tuner & Integrated that does a lot of funtions on 1000ES, but not most important, volume.

Last edited:
Yah, those original TA-E1000ESD remotes are hard to come by and when you do they are big money.
Right you are.
And, buying used remotes is very chancey. They get a lot of abuse and difficult or not repairable.

Last edited:
The Harmony 350 is very versatile, but it takes a fair amount of work to make ALL functions work. They may be a bit fragile,I seem to like to drop mine, and I am now having some problems with some of the functions. If you program multi device turn on sequence, it seems to eat batteries at a fairly high rate. I may just be having a problem with my unit, but have not completely debugged it yet.

Freddymac,
I have seen mixed reviews on the 350, about durability. If I get one, may only be useing it for that Sony.

Wayner,
That Sony universal sounds interesting. Only $14 w/free shipping. Worth a try at that price.
Thanks.

I would second WaynerN's recommendation of the SONY, I've got an older version that has worked fine with Onkyo, Yamaha, Rotel, Pioneer devices.

Mark Gosdin

I would second WaynerN's recommendation of the SONY, I've got an older version that has worked fine with Onkyo, Yamaha, Rotel, Pioneer devices.

Mark Gosdin

Mark and Wayner,
I'm going to order one. Give it a trial. At price, its a no brainer.
Thanks to all posters. Again, my AK neighbors come through.
Old Guy

The Harmony 350 is very versatile, but it takes a fair amount of work to make ALL functions work. They may be a bit fragile,I seem to like to drop mine, and I am now having some problems with some of the functions. If you program multi device turn on sequence, it seems to eat batteries at a fairly high rate. I may just be having a problem with my unit, but have not completely debugged it yet.
Interesting, guess I got lucky, I bought it primarily for the SONY but ended up using it for everything and it has been extremely reliable. Even with my 'genius' kids questionable handling of small electronic devices.

Let us know how you get on with the SONY universal hope it works out well for you!

I personally use a JP1 capable remote (my personal choice is the One for All Cinema 7 and I have tons of them). I have the same Cinema 7 remotes all over the house that are each customized to the gear in that room but retain the same conventions from room to room so that from one room to the next the functions are the same. JP1 requires a little more patience and work to setup than a harmony, but they are cheap has hell, 100% customizable and can control almost anything. There is a bit of a learning curve to figuring out the JP1 configuration but I like being able to make a fully customized remote and having all tactile buttons instead of an LCD screen. I've never tried harmony though.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

I actually had an Android App that worked well with all of my Yammies in the house and my HK3370 and my cisco set-top cable box (up to a point). Unfortunately I cannot remember what the app was or recover that info.... as I nearly broke my phone in half when i slipped on some black ice on my porch back in December and bounced down a flight of nine concrete steps on my back (with my phone in my back pocket).

If anyone knows of "the best" android universal remote app, please let me know what it is / was.

thanks

That control from Sony doesn't show codes for my equipment

I think every brand has their own code. If you know the code or your device, I think you can directly enter it into the learning remote (been a long time since I've fiddled with it). Otherwise you can put the device's remote facing the leaning remote and "import the code function" via the learning command. It certainly isn't perfect, but it can give you some control of things (like volume).

I ordered the Sony universal remote on Ebay. $13.25 w free shipping. If it does not workout, can be used on tvs etc. So really, not a risk.
Later, if need, I can try the Harmony350.
Thanks again all for help with this. Will report back when The 330ES power amp, 110wpc@8ohm, 150wpc@4ohms, comes back from repair shop and all ES gear is driving my Stacked Advents. Whooo.

I'm a big Logitech Harmony fan myself. I'm currently working with a 520. Very durable and versatile; I also love the backlight. A little finnicky to program since the software version is getting up there in age, but overall easy and can control almost anything. The batteries last for months, even with my 3 device activities. I got mine for $35 a couple years ago, which was lucky. Now, that's about the average price used. It's worth the extra few bucks over the 350.

Kind of missed the boat on this thread but thought I'd add that.

Back
Top Bottom