Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Most linear tracker turntables are around $100 to $150. As you go up in quality, the price goes up. I would imagine if everything is working, you could get between $150 and $250 having the programmable tracks. If it's not working, about $20 bucks.

Hey thanks for the info Bilbo, it needs a new stylus so I'll order one today and post back here and let you know how it goes. Everything else seems to work.

Picked up a JVC FS-7000 Executive Micro System yesterday. Cherrywood speaker cabinets in beautiful condition, CDP working, no scratches anywhere. Display a bit dim, no remote, but a nice, elegant little shelf system.

IMG_20170405_185544.jpg

IMG_20170405_185445.jpg

I've found myself wanting one of those little compact systems lately. Ever since I saw that awesome yamaha mini-seperates set someone posted about some time ago. I think those nicer ones are way cool.

Not audio, but I picked up this resin iguana today with really great detailing. I used to have one as a pet when I was growing up.

View attachment 904074 View attachment 904075

I also had an iguana in college that looked sorta like that one. Got him when he was pretty small and had him for a few years. I was actually pretty upsed when he died. I also would have picked that up much to my wife's dismay.

Not a scroe in financial terms, but I picked up Weird Al's first five albums in great condition for a buck each today. Been wanting them for a while.

I recently picked up 5 Weird Al CDs (would have been 6 but some doofus stole a disc out of the case). I haven't heard most of these since I was a kid and have been enjoying listening to them again.

I recently picked up 5 Weird Al CDs (would have been 6 but some doofus stole a disc out of the case). I haven't heard most of these since I was a kid and have been enjoying listening to them again.

Maybe someone did steal it but many CD players I have acquired still have CDs in them from the previous owners.

Man I love my job!! I work for a company as a delivery drive. I get to visit a lot of thrifts along the way and find may treasures. I always pic up CDs along the way, anywhere from $0.25 on up. I refuse to spend more that 2 bucks!!! Just won't do it.

This week I have found a few gems. I have visited a Habitat for Humanity store and found a few things before. I had notice a loan ADS speaker, but left it many times because there was no mate. Pursing the bay I noticed a pair of them were selling for an ungodly amount. I rushed back to pick it up. I now own a single ADS SAT 5 speaker that I paid $2.50 for. I probably will part it out and make a few buck.

The same day I happened upon a pair of Definitive Technology BP 8s with oak caps. No socks, (where can I source some new ones?) the tops and bases need refinished (black for me), tweeters need to be 'painters taped' pulled out,etc etc. All in all, a good buy at $25. These will be keepers.

Also picked up a vintage Realistic 3 way speaker selector switch. $2.

Also sold a good bit of stuff this week to members here. I try and treat every "customer" just as I want to be treated. Good customer service = good karma.

Peace out.

Last edited:
I went to 2 Savers, 2 SA, and 2 GW today and only came home with these. Im really trying to be more selective about what I grab now. Turns out the Black Lips-Arabia Mountain cassette was a minor score. I looked it up on discogs and it seems to get a decent buck, who knew? The Sundowners cassette is a neat indie punk deal with homemade artwork.
IMG_20170407_161102094.jpg

I went to 2 Savers, 2 SA, and 2 GW today and only came home with these. Im really trying to be more selective about what I grab now. Turns out the Black Lips-Arabia Mountain cassette was a minor score. I looked it up on discogs and it seems to get a decent buck, who knew? The Sundowners cassette is a neat indie punk deal with homemade artwork.
View attachment 904933

I pick up any small label/private issued Punk and Heavy Metal cassettes when I see them. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I got a similar new in box JVC system at GW before Christmas as a gift for my grand daughter. She likes it; my son and daughter-in-law not so much. Pay back is so sweet! I'm thinking about getting a drum set for my grandson.

Hey, cool idea...makes me think about shooting off the Sansui 771 and ADS L780 off to the Granddaughter and the Roland HD-3 electronic drumset to the Grandson,complete with Roland PM-10 monitor and JBL monitor PA monitor just to see them get into music. He's almost 4 ,she's gonna be 3. LOL

I could just give them the JVC shelf system instead that I scored a while back. It pushes the little black shack speakers pretty good too.

Last edited:
I typically avoid thrifts on sale day. I rarely find anything I want then, and I have to deal with the masses of people pushing and shoving and leaving their carts in the way so you are stuck behind them, unless you move the cart for them. I've stopped politely asking. As I see it, they are all adults and have been shopping for a good long while. If they are still doing it despite having people politely ask them to move their carts over the years, it is on purpose or they just don't give a crap! I ignore them as I walk by.

Good find! :)

I typically avoid thrifts on sale day. I rarely find anything I want then, and I have to deal with the masses of people pushing and shoving and leaving their carts in the way so you are stuck behind them, unless you move the cart for them. I've stopped politely asking. As I see it, they are all adults and have been shopping for a good long while. If they are still doing it despite having people politely ask them to move their carts over the years, it is on purpose or they just don't give a crap! I ignore them as I walk by.

Good find! :)
Check out my thrifting blog for the best days to hit the thrift stores and other tips: http://www.swingmodernvintage.com/2017/03/4-hot-days-to-score-big-at-thrift-stores.html

BTW, I used to think like this about not going on sale days until I found a Montblanc pen!

Got a picture of some junk in the trunk I picked up at Savers today. They were having a 50% off clothing sale and the place was mobbed. I can't believe nobody grabbed this before me :dunno:. Sherwood S 7450 CP in decent condition.
index.php

That series of Sherwoods were made in Korea, but they are better than most people would ever give them credit for. I think one reason why these tend to get overlooked is because they tend to have a cleaner, more pristine sound than the typically warmer sound of the sound of the American-made Sherwood gear of only a few years before this model was built. It's not a sound that most Sherwood fans are used to, or like, but they still sound decent. I think if you like the sound of Yamaha gear that you'd probably like it. I'd also wager a bet that if you open it up, in addition to the two fuses on the back, there are probably another 2-3 protection fuses inside as well. If I had to guess, more than likely either Samsung or Lucky Goldstar (now known as LG) probably made them. I'd probably pair it with a set of "bassy" speakers to fill out the sound a bit, but let us know how it sounds. I'd be interested to hear your take on it. Nice little pickup. Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Check out my thrifting blog for the best days to hit the thrift stores and other tips: http://www.swingmodernvintage.com/2017/03/4-hot-days-to-score-big-at-thrift-stores.html

BTW, I used to think like this about not going on sale days until I found a Montblanc pen!

I enjoyed that blog. Looking forward to reading more!

I think the best days are store and location dependent, although your reasoning makes sense, in your locale.

In Canada, we just don't have your size, except in cities like Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver. I find locally, different stores stock at different times. I get to know the store to find out when is the best time. I also talk to the staff. I'm no longer go as frequently as I used to, so I'm not scoring the popular stuff, but I continue to find off the radar items regularly. Rarely in audio anymore though. It is very very competitive now! You pretty well have to take it off the cart or someone else will.

@Eywadude: thanks for the info. I'll let you know my impressions. It's on the bench now, deoxit drying, small chip in case glued and clamped. It's got 2 bulbs out so I'll have to test the boards to find out what voltage they are while the cover is off. It cleaned up nice and has a clean simple look. It is very similar to the Korean made MCS that I had for a while.

@Eywadude: thanks for the info. I'll let you know my impressions. It's on the bench now, deoxit drying, small chip in case glued and clamped. It's got 2 bulbs out so I'll have to test the boards to find out what voltage they are while the cover is off. It cleaned up nice and has a clean simple look. It is very similar to the Korean made MCS that I had for a while.

Just out of curiosity, are there any extra fuses on the inside?

Back
Top Bottom