kenwood model eleven

maggotbrain

I have a kenwood model eleven. both channels work and all the meters and lights work. the problem is that it will play FM radio but it won't play any other source. neither aux or the two phono inputs work. If I change to another source like aux, it still plays the FM radio. If I switch to either tape monitor A or B I can get something to play through the input of the tape jacks. The tape monitor B plays fine but Tape monitor A only plays one channel. I have tried cleaning all the pots and source selector switch to no avail. any clue?

Hello maggotbrain. Welcome to AK. Did you use DeOxit to clean the pots and the switches? The Service Manual is on HiFi Engine.com. The SM for I thru III, G, are listed. Need to know which version you have in order to check the transistors used against the "Top Ten worst transistor " list.

Hello maggotbrain. Welcome to AK. Did you use DeOxit to clean the pots and the switches? The Service Manual is on HiFi Engine.com. The SM for I thru III, G, are listed. Need to know which version you have in order to check the transistors used against the "Top Ten worst transistor " list.
it just says model eleven on the front and back, i used deoxit on the pots and switches, it plays fm radio no matter what source i try to switch it to. the tape monitor B i could play through but tape A only one channel. i downloaded the service manual but i don't know much about electronics. i guess i'm trying to get an idea of why i can't get it switch form fm radio. i have been spraying deoxit in the source selecter pot for most of day with no results. it's a really cool receiver but i don't think i can dump hundreds of dollars to fix it so i'm kinda of trying to get an idea of what the problem is.

Ok could be the I model. I'll check out the schematic tomorrow and post any ideas I have. It's time to get some sleep, up at 4:30am.

I'm not familliar with this model at all but, is there a long shaft from
the front to the rear panel?. Sometimes, the front selector is for the indicator
lights and the rear one, source. If the rod's loose on shaft, the rear source selector will stay on ''FM'' while the source lights change...

Sounds like a mechanical problem. Maybe a rod that has become detached or worse, a stripped gear. Anyways, plenty of room inside to work, it's mostly empty box.

the front to the rear panel?. Sometimes, the front selector is for the indicator
lights and the rear one, source. If the rod's loose on shaft, the rear source selector will stay on ''FM'' while the source lights change...
this is a pic of the selector switch it doesn't appear to be damaged in any way, it does change the lights.

Attachments

• IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 62
Thanks for all the advice i pulled it out to check and while I was reading the service manual I realized that Dolby Fm was on. When I switched it off everything worked so hopefully that solves the problem. I'm gonna do as thorough a cleaning as I can!

Okay got the thing playing, and it will play fine for a while then a loud crackle, static sound will start getting worse until you can hardly hear anything else. it appears to only happen on the left channel. i was just listening to an album and it started and progressively got worse until i just shut the unit off.

then a loud crackle, static sound will start getting worse until you can hardly hear anything else. it appears to only happen on the left channel.
OK - does it take a while for that problem to appear every time you switch the unit on?

Does the problem occur with all inputs (or just phono?).

Does the noise change with the volume control, or stay at the same level?

OK - does it take a while for that problem to appear every time you switch the unit on?

Does the problem occur with all inputs (or just phono?).

Does the noise change with the volume control, or stay at the same level?
sometimes it doesn't appear for more than two hours, sometimes 20 minutes, today as soon as i turned it on, and constant. on all inputs, volume has no effect on it. only on the right channel, doesn't matter if it is speaker a, b, or c. i did notice that if i press the meter button to power instead of line level the right vu meter goes up and pretty much stays near the middle. when it is on line level both vu meters show the same but it doesn't affect the noise.

sometimes it doesn't appear for more than two hours, sometimes 20 minutes, today as soon as i turned it on, and constant. on all inputs, volume has no effect on it. only on the right channel, doesn't matter if it is speaker a, b, or c. i did notice that if i press the meter button to power instead of line level the right vu meter goes up and pretty much stays near the middle. when it is on line level both vu meters show the same but it doesn't affect the noise.
on an earlier post i said left channel but it is the right channel

OK provided that all controls and switches etc have been cleaned thoroughly I would first suspect a failing small signal transistor in the powersection of the unit.

Im sure that you have "pre out" and "main in" RCA's on the back of this unit - the fastest way to test is to run another signal (set to a very low volume) directly into the "main in" RCA's of the unit to see if the problem persists.

OK provided that all controls and switches etc have been cleaned thoroughly I would first suspect a failing small signal transistor in the powersection of the unit.

Im sure that you have "pre out" and "main in" RCA's on the back of this unit - the fastest way to test is to run another signal (set to a very low volume) directly into the "main in" RCA's of the unit to see if the problem persists.
i will try that, do you think it would be fixable? i really like this receiver.

hey i spoke with a guy today about repairs, he told that it likely a faulty part, maybe a transistor or something. he warned that it is possible that he may have a replacement part on hand or he may be able to find it or a substitute, but also that there might not be a replacement available. he quoted $200 or less for repair if possible. in other words if he can fix if it is $200 or less he repairs, if more than $200 he will call for approval 1st. if it cannot be fixed then a $26.80 bench fee. what do you guys think? are transistors and such brand specific or are some older components no longer made or there is not a modern substitute?

Unless you have now unobtanium parts in there - almost everything can be subbed by something new. Unless the tech has a good source for the original parts - its generally a better idea to source new equivalents from reputed sources. The deal sounds good to me so long as he is capable & competent. Diagnosing and searching for where the issue is can usually be the most time-consuming part of an unknown problem.

Update, just got my Kenwood eleven back today from the shop. They replace two faulty transistors so hopefully i will get some use out of it before something else fails. Sounds great! One thing however the chrome trim surrounding the radio dial is in bad shape have any ideas on how repaint it or something? Thanx for the knowledge!

I'm considering one of these & what I'd like to know is whats up with the timers on them that most seem to go bad from what I've read. Is it the plastic mounting bracket or what ?

I believe the plastic coupler between the panel knob and the timer mechanism breaks. Probably an easy fix.

Back
Top Bottom