Music streaming via Airport Express

I just connected an Airport Express to a Bluesound Vault 2 to the home hifi and it sounds good and runs reliably with no drop out. Streaming Tidal and playing cds burned into the Vault 2.
This is my first digital playing except Tidal with headphones and a USB DAC.

It is a nice set up into a Marantz Integrated Amp, Spendor A6, Quad 11L Classic, Rel T5 sub.

I just connected an Airport Express to a Bluesound Vault 2 to the home hifi and it sounds good and runs reliably with no drop out. Streaming Tidal and playing cds burned into the Vault 2.
This is my first digital playing except Tidal with headphones and a USB DAC.

It is a nice set up into a Marantz Integrated Amp, Spendor A6, Quad 11L Classic, Rel T5 sub.

What is the purpose of the Airport Express when used with the Bluesound Vault to stream Tidal and listening to cd's?

Is that for wifi?

(I think I will be getting a Node 2 in the coming weeks. My thought is that it would let me take the AE out of my system.)

Last edited:
One reason would be to play audio portion of YooToob videos to the Node. Chromecast Audio can also do that now if you have a subscription, while using a lot less bandwidth.

What is the purpose of the Airport Express when used with the Bluesound Vault to stream Tidal and listening to cd's?

Is that for wifi?

(I think I will be getting a Node 2 in the coming weeks. My thought is that it would let me take the AE out of my system.)
While we are guessing, doesn't the Vault require a separate app? It may be for convenience, using the service's native app (which some might prefer), and/or more app support (Overcast, Podcast app, etc.) via iOS.

Is that for wifi?

Yes, the Vault must be hard wired to the internet modem and my hifi is not near the modem. Instead of moving everything around or adding a 25 foot ethernet cable, I send it by wifi to the Apple Airport Express which is hard wired to the Vault. Works seamlessly and sounds good. Using Tidal and CDs I burned into the Vault 2 and all sounds great. Having fun now. Not that I was not happy with CD and records but am planning to move where I can't haul all that physical media along.
The Bluesound has an App for the Mac OS and another for iOS. I don't know about windows. So Tidal or my play list show up in the Bluesoud app.

Back
Top Bottom