TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Nor a heatsink!. In that application a TPA3118 would be more appropriate, as it's pad down, using the PCB (such as it is) as a heatsink. Those pictures even show a thermoadhesive pad on top of the IC, ready for HS attachment!

I saw that on on Ebay, too. There are a couple of pin holes visible on the back. Possibly for the filter caps?

Ferrite beads (at the output) might be the go with this board.
This "limited" edition seems to also have done away with the decoupling caps.

I plan to try the mono sub TPA3116 amp with two 15 inch Eminence Alpha woofers paralleled in open baffles. The Alphas are around 93 dbs and I currently drive them with a 100 watt plate amp which takes lots of space on my rack. I'm hoping for increased bass fidelity with the TPA.

Interesting. I wonder what crossover frequency will give you the best sonic results...

I'm thinking that open baffle woofers can probably handle a higher crossover frequency (to help add some richness to the lower mids) without sounding boomy or boxy since, well, they are not in a box.

With my full range OB speakers running full range I'll often cut my OB woofers off at 100hz but other times 70hz sounds good. Having the crossover on the rack and at my fingertips allows for easy tweaking.

I have the Kanspea's running off my TPA3116 (Audiobah clone). I am looking for a small sub to go with. Doesn't have to get down to 20Hz, but wouldn't mind some clean sound down into the 40Hz. I don't have room for a bucket sub, let alone 2 (which I would love to do), so I am curious to know if anyone has some ideas.

I built this 8" sub a few years ago and it's fairly small. Parts Express sells the 8" woofer and the two radiators and has the DIY plans but I can't find the link. I think the sub is called the Triska (?) or something similar. Love it with my small bedroom set up.

P3030001_2_1.jpg

Last edited:
I built this 8" sub a few years ago and it's fairly small. Parts Express sells the 8" woofer and the two radiators and has the DIY plans but I can't find the link. I think the sub is called the Tristan (?) or something similar. Love it with my small bedroom set up.

P3030001_2_1.jpg

I looked into that one, looks really nice. I have zero DIY time with my little one. Unless someone wants to build me one. :)

Just a heads up... the Breeze Audio TPA3116 is now available in black...
Mine just arrived today from AliExpress for $22 shipped - looks and sounds great

HTB1OeUoPVXXXXXnaFXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg

I just received this little fella:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302187122111?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Bluetooth, USB, SDCard, and FM. No aux in.

So far, it sounds pretty good with both bluetooth and a USB thumbdrive full of tunes. No way to navigate through folders that I can tell, but it has a random function that I accidentally discovered. FM reception in my basement was nonexistent, but I need a proper antenna to get stations with my Marantz down there so I'm not passing judgement yet. EQ functions range from unaltered to marginally acceptable to unbearable.

A nice Chinese voice tells me when I've switched modes. I have no idea what she's saying, but it's interesting if a bit loud. No background noise and just a bit of a thump when I unplug it. No thump when I use the "off" button on the remote.

On another note: The IT guy at work gave me a bunch of laptop transformers. He has a drawer full of them and was happy to have the space back!

I use one of those at work as noted in an earlier post, with a pair of Mission M70. It sounds more than OK, quite good actually. When I hooked it up at home with a pair of PSB Alpha B1 it sounded incredibly good, quite amazing for what it does and costs.

I agree with you about the EQ settings. You don't have a display but by using the buttons on the remote you can skip through songs and perhaps folders. I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a way to switch the language of the announcements. My only complaint about the unit is how loud the voice is, I wish it could be muted or at least lowered. An Aux in would have been nice as well but given the price I am very impressed as I find it very enjoyable listening to my music library or streaming VPR Jazz24 from my laptop via BT using the AZio BTD-V401.

Poultrygeist ... How does the Volt+ & Nobsound Pre sound together ?

got my Volt+ today