Today's Irish/Scottish/English folk playlist

upload_2017-4-3_10-33-32.jpegupload_2017-4-3_10-34-5.jpegupload_2017-4-3_10-34-18.jpeg
This Saw Doctors, "Best of" cd has been getting regular play around here. Some really great tunes on this disc, "N17", "What A Day", "Exhilharating Sadness", "Macnas Parade". Just a great record. Thompson's "More Guitar" is my favorite of his "fan releases", a really powerful tour with all of the master's talents on display. Worth it for the rollicking "The Angels Took My Racehorse Away" plus his covers of "Here Without You" by The Byrds & "We've Got to Get Out Of This Place" by The Animals and the Opus that is "Can't Win" with one of RT's greatest solos. Both albums highly recommended, although I think I am preaching to the choir in this thread.

My copy of "More Guitar" has this foam centre post for the CD. It looks like it could fall off, but so far so good. And yes, a fine collection of songs, but not as good as "Guitar, Vocal". We all have our favourites, I suppose.

Yup, I have both Electric Muse on LP and New Electric Muse on CD.

Today I got to listen to Below The Salt and Parcel Of Rogues without interruption. The puppy is a disturbance.

These two have very specific soundstage. I loved them!

Dick Gaughan
Handful Of Earth
(Topic, 1981)

index.php

Hi, P.M. You haven't been here for a while.

I suppose you've heard this one:

HisPrideNoSpearNoFriend_zpsqqbtdfxa.jpg

I think it this is one of Steve Collin's better efforts. Unfortunately, he seems to be disheartened by his lack of sales success. He has supposedly announced that he is retiring from music and will cease recording. I don't know what he expects; if you reject every aspect of commercial music-making, you are not likely to sell millions of copies of your latest work.

Hi, P.M. You haven't been here for a while.

I suppose you've heard this one:

HisPrideNoSpearNoFriend_zpsqqbtdfxa.jpg

I think it this is one of Steve Collin's better efforts. Unfortunately, he seems to be disheartened by his lack of sales success. He has supposedly announced that he is retiring from music and will cease recording. I don't know what he expects; if you reject every aspect of commercial music-making, you are not likely to sell millions of copies of your latest work.

Yes, his business model is a tad unrealistic, sadly. Trying to live via downloads and hand-made vinyl is a rich man's hobby.

I have been listening to my set of original UK Pentangle pressings lately. They really sound good with my new amp. I listened to Basket of Light and Cruel Sister over the weekend - they really had talent to burn.

Ralph McTell: Bridge of Sighs. Just an awesome record. Ralph, who in his own right is a wonderful guitar player, is joined by many veterans of Fairport Convention, i.e. Martin Allcock, Dave Pegg, Richard Thompson, Jerry Donahue, Dave Swarbrick. Great songwriting as exemplified by "The Setting", among others, paired with playing by musicians who understand the material. Excellent solos by Thompson on "Bridge of Sighs" & Donahue on "Throw Out A Line And Dream". How is it you don't have this record?

Ralph McTell: Bridge of Sighs. Just an awesome record. Ralph, who in his own right is a wonderful guitar player, is joined by many veterans of Fairport Convention, i.e. Martin Allcock, Dave Pegg, Richard Thompson, Jerry Donahue, Dave Swarbrick. Great songwriting as exemplified by "The Setting", among others, paired with playing by musicians who understand the material. Excellent solos by Thompson on "Bridge of Sighs" & Donahue on "Throw Out A Line And Dream". How is it you don't have this record?
Another for the shopping cart.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom