Gold tone sx727

i was thinking the same thing,but couldnt find the words that wouldnt upset anyone. a cotton ball and some "409" will reveal the truth

Smokers at the time constituted 80-85% of the population. So some amount of Nicotine staining is on almost everything from that era.
To answer your answer, yes there were some gold tone x2x series faceplates. Maybe about 10% of them were gold colored from the factory.

This one is for sure gold as I've tried cleaning it before asking however all the ones you see on eBay seem to be silver.

I never knew there were Gold Faced Variants. I tried searching for one online and couldn't find any.
Can you post up some pics of yours ?
In the mean time I found this Beauty. I love the Black Faced Vintage Pioneers.

SX7730a.jpg

First time posting photo anyway, can't see it in photos but the pioneer is brown lettering and the stereo receiver model sx272 is in black is that normal?

awesome; That SX-7730 is the black variant of the SX-737 not the 727.

Soundslave. That coloring is called "champagne" vs Gold. It's a variation in the anodizing from the subcontractors. Fisher had the same problem with different subcontractors anodizeing procedure. Some faceplates would be Silver, some Champagne like your's and others really dark like they had been dipped in a moderately dark stain. I believe PIONEER got the problem straightened out by the x3x series in 1974.

awesome; That SX-7730 is the black variant of the SX-737 not the 727.

Soundslave. That coloring is called "champagne" vs Gold. It's a variation in the anodizing from the subcontractors. Fisher had the same problem with different subcontractors anodizeing procedure. Some faceplates would be Silver, some Champagne like your's and others really dark like they had been dipped in a moderately dark stain. I believe PIONEER got the problem straightened out by the x3x series in 1974.

Roger That Larry. I must have misread the OPs thread thinking it was a 737... Must put my eyes back in...
Anyway, you have to admit that the black SX-7730 is very nice eye candy.

Actually I remember reading an original advertisement for the 828 not too long ago and it mentioned the gorgeous "bronze" face plate. I've had several 727's and I think they all had just a slightly bronze look to the face plates as well. The 727 and 828's are among my favs.

I'm currently rebuilding an sx-727 that has a similar tint. I assumed age and never really thought about it again

Some Pioneer units from this period were available with a bronzed face. I have a cute little SA-500A amplifier from this period with a bronze face.
Quite rare on a receiver - look after that one!

It looks like it was in a closet full of smokers.
Wow that was one grubby Yamaha.
Like what oldsansui441 said, all that nicotene has served to protect it in a weird sort of way.
It came up very nice too.

Back
Top Bottom