The mama figure scored big, but voltage is a problem.

onwardjames

Hoardimus Maximus
Subscriber
My mom brought home from some GW somewhere a Denon DCD-1500 II cd player. This thing is heavy, at least as heavy as my Yamaha CDX-1100U.

Twin outputs, fixed and variable, coax AND toslink out, and in good kit.

I get it home, only to find out.......IT IS 220 VOLTS!! And it has those wide-spaced prongs. There was an old slip of paper with some writing on the back, looked like that odd german "B" was one of the letters.

My question is, what is a decent 110 - 220 step up transformer that'd be good for this?? There are countless ones on that auction site, and I don't want to fry this very nice cd player.

Thanks, everyone.

A pic, not mine, but looks identical.

HFE has the German SM available that shows the US/Canadian unit with 120V, the universal unit with 120/240V switched and the European unit with a 220/240V version. If this is what you have, I would do the conversion (remove a jumper install a jumper) to operate the unit at 240V and get a 120-240V step up transformer. Since this is a very low current draw device, a 100w unit should be fine, check the unit for the watts used. This means you could use one of those plug in transformers that has a receptacle on the unit to plug in the Denon and it plugs into the wall like a wall wart with no wires. The bay has em for under 15 bucks. Could be used in a switched outlet, too.

Last edited:
Looking at the service manual (available on HFiEngine.com) there is a multi-voltage option, otherwise there are wiring options for US and two European options.

Can you post pic of the back of your actual unit? I checked the owners manual but no mention of voltage switch. Like to see the sticker showing the numbers.

To answer your question - rather than the "what you should do is..." - I have an Onkyo DX-706 that also is 220 volt. I bought a Goldsource STU 100W step up xfmr from the 'bay, and it has worked just fine. $17 shipped. I've had it for two years with no problems.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Wow, a surfeit of answers!

God, I love this place.

I saw no multi-options anywhere, and the plug is terminated in that broad spaced round plug style.

Assuming the wife calls our IP and gets our internet back on tonight (at work) I'll be glad to provide pics. For now, here are two of the unit.

20170415_211854.jpg 20170415_224317.jpg

It even has some cd in it. Marco Antonio ?? Can't read the last name, lol. Did I mention it is freaking HEAVY? Although it doesn't seem to have 2 transformers like my Yamaha, word around the campfire is that this is a real good sounding player.

I'm not interested in that last micro-dot of detail, I like smooth, maybe even slightly rolled off highs (tinnitus sucks butt). And for 9 bucks, who can argue with THAT?

I like the Goldsource option, will investigate.

Just so you know, you've got a player referred to in several places as "legendary". Provided it works - Denons of that vintage have a reputation for laser failure - you've got one hella piece for nine bucks. I paid $50 for my DX-706, and I feel it was worth it. I'm sure yours would be the equal of it.

Cheers,
Larry B.

Hope you can get it working. I had one several years ago (it was Mk 1 though) and it was my first real CDP. At the time, I couldn't believe the difference in sound quality it made over my BOTL Technics CDP. After owing it, I would never ever considered lower quality CDPs again.

I have the Denon 1560, a close relative. It too weighs a ton. Of the 20+ CDPs I've owned over the years, including a $3000 Sony, none is better. Out of action now, needing a belt(s) and TLC. Well worth getting it going, and if all you need is a small step-up, it's one of your best scores. I also got mine at GW for a stupidly low price.

If this is a German model, you will also have the line frequency to contend with. U. S. is 60 cps, Germany is 50 cps.. I don't think the CD drive motor would spin at the correct rate. Bill

If you live in a major city, go to an ethnic area, like Chinatown, etc and buy what converter you can get your hands on.

Another thing which works well, is to take an old "electric shaver outlet" isolation transformer, and wire the secondary in series with the primary.. that would easily power this unit.

If you have a Fry's nearby they have a whole section of step-up transformers.

If you want high quality buy from a transformer company like Hammond or Triad from Mouser or Allied or whatever

I've done all of the above, I like euro gear

The 50/60Hz thing is irrelevant, CD players have DC motors and aren't impacted by line frequency

One thing you can do to power it up, is plug it in to the 240V which is already in your house. I won't say specifically how to do this because you have to be a little careful but it's easily found out. May be an idea to do that in order to make sure it works, before investing any money.. I've had bad luck with lasers in GW CD players.

And just to round it all out,that funny looking ''ß'' is called an esszett. It is the equivalent of two x S. Just hiss like a snake and you're good to go. Nice player too!

One thing you can do to power it up, is plug it in to the 240V which is already in your house. I won't say specifically how to do this because you have to be a little careful but it's easily found out. May be an idea to do that in order to make sure it works, before investing any money.. I've had bad luck with lasers in GW CD players.
I have my 240V compressor plugged into the dryer outlet when needed. Works just fine. I'm sure there are all kinds of reasons not to do this on a regular basis. But for testing and such, no problem. That power cord wouldn't look good with a big nema plug on it for the dryer outlet.

If this is a German model, you will also have the line frequency to contend with. U. S. is 60 cps, Germany is 50 cps.. I don't think the CD drive motor would spin at the correct rate. Bill

The problem you mention only affects turntables with synchronous motors. Tape decks (unless really old, say from the 50´s), CD players, and other types of TTs do not suffer from this.

Looks like others covered this before I got around to it. Thanks for the heads up, everyone. I have ordered from Ebay a 100 watt steup, should be here in next couple days.

I am anxious to hear it going, and I have found belts, if it ends up needing them.

And just to round it all out,that funny looking ''ß'' is called an esszett. It is the equivalent of two x S. Just hiss like a snake and you're good to go. Nice player too!

Thanks, always wondered about those crazy looking letters.

I appreciate the feedback, everyone. I don't get many nice scores any longer. Looks like this one qualifies.

Back
Top Bottom