Need strong opinions on the Marantz 2270 please

DrStache

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
ive got the opportunity to trade my fully restored Fisher 400 for a fully restored and cosmetically mint Marantz 2270. I'm simply in need of a little more power and the Marantz is beautiful but I need opinion ls on the pros and cons of the Marantz. I love the sound stage of the Fisher honestly but again, I'd like to hear some honest opinions about the 2270. I need help making a decision like a kid really, lol.

I bought a 2270 new in 1973----what a gutless wonder.I hated it ,then I bought a Pioneer 828 and the Pioneer ran circles around that worthless piece of junk. The FM tuner was good but the sound and power -UGH!!! KEEP THE FISHER.

Wow. That's what I'm talking about. Those are the kinda opinions I'm in need of. I've read reviews of the 2275 and seen great things. Kinda thought the 2270 would be in the same ballpark.

Keep the Fisher PLEASE !!!

And this is advice coming from the Marantz group and a Marantz lover.

I know this isn't a popular opinion but I never cared very much for the 2270. I had four or five of them and always traded them away fairly quickly. Truth be told my favorites were the lower powered receivers like the 2226b. But the 2275 and 2265b ARE special.

a restored 2270 is a sweet receiver with plenty of power and that warm marantz sound and closer to the tube like sound then the models that came after it. I love the sound of my tube gear and my 500C though and it would hard to choose between the two if i could only have one of them. you might consider moving to the 500C which will give you a little more power if a little is all you need. i have both the 2270 and 2275 i prefer the 2270 for vinyl and 2275 for CD's . The phono stages in the Marantz receivers are excellent as are the fishers. If you are wanting to drive some more power hungry speakers then the 2270 would be the way to go and it is a great sounding receiver. hopefully you can go and listen to it first that is the only way to really know if you like the sound.

Thanks for these responses. That's why I came to the Marantz forum. I'm going to keep the Fisher 400 and maybe trade for a 500c if the opportunity presents itself. Thanks guys!

If you need more power here is something to think about in the future.

For years! I used a 2230 as a preamp to drive a Dynaco ST-70. A surprisingly great match. The Marantz receivers DO have a pretty darn good TT input. But look into using a tubes4hifi ST-120 for more power.

The Fishers are wonderful stereos but they are what they are. Nice little receivers. The combo of the 2230 and ST-120 WILL elevate your system to a real audiophile level.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/home.html

I guess a lot depends on the rest of your gear. While I really liked my Fisher 500C with large format horn speakers, with lesser efficient non horn speakers, not so much. I currently have a completely restored 2270 that sounds awesome, top to bottom, with my B&W Matrix speakers. I like the sound of the 2270 with these speakers better than with the Dynaco MK III's I had. Both have their virtues provided system matching is taken into consideration.

Last edited:
Right now I've got some Klipsch that are very efficient and sound amazing with them Fisher. I never keep equipment long and that's part of my problem/sickness. I like to try new things. I took off today and have been listening to some jazz and Mozart and feel as though I need to slap myself for even considering letting the Fisher go.

Last edited:
Sounds like you've made your choice... but let me reiterate-
Fisher 400- Yes
Marantz 2270-
NO

If you have found the Tube Fisher/Klipsch relationship already, then sell the Garbage Disposal, and dishwasher on CL to travel down Marantz lane... not the Fisher.
Why do you need more power? More power is a destination that, when arrived, has the traveler asking "why did I come here again"?

Sound quality aside, 2270 is the most iconic vintage receiver ever, therefore the most overpriced. Can't think of any more iconic equipment.

FWIW: Since your asking, I have a lot of units come and go here. One of the most memorable Sansui AU-555a, about as close to tubes as you can get, but...........sounds amazing at low levels and the kicker, has the huge sound stage. Just sayin' yep this is the Marantz forum, LOL!

About the above-it was a rebuilt unit.

More power is a destination that, when arrived, has the traveler asking "why did I come here again"?

i never ask that and its usually the opposite when im cranking AC DC on my 2325 and Ohm 4's im thinking im glad i came here :rockon: im also glad when listen to Van Morrison on my 500C and Forte's, there are lots of different ways to enjoy music and i like to try as many as i can.

Last edited:
i never ask that and its usually the opposite when im cranking AC DC on 2325 and Ohm 4's im thinking im glad i came here :rockon: im also glad when listen to Van Morrison on my 500C and Forte's, there are lots of different ways to enjoy music and i like to try as many as i can.

You're right... just as long as the end game is "enjoy music", then I can't argue.

I went back and forth between a 2325 (restored) and a 2285b (original) and the 2285b was so much easier to listen to for lack of a better description. I could sit for hours and listen to the 2285b (and do). The 2325 sounded amazing but I just felt fatigued after awhile. Not sure if this was related to the power difference. More likely just what my ears wanted/expected.

Trades are the way to go if you don't want gear to pile up. It doesn't give you the chance to compare though. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Sound quality aside, 2270 is the most iconic vintage receiver ever, therefore the most overpriced. Can't think of any more iconic equipment.
I owned a 2270 for about 24 hours. I bought one from Pacific Stereo, took it home and hated it. It sounded very "transistorized" to my ears. I really, really wanted to love it. I lusted over it for years before buying it. I still love the way it looks and feels. But not the sound. My brother had a 2230 that I loved, to my ears the 2230 sounded better than the 2270. I took it back and traded it for a Sony STR-7065. The Sony sounded better to me. I must be the only guy to feel this way.

Back
Top Bottom