Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

20170413_181042-XL.jpg

330B, $20 at the St. V's

After a Deoxit bath it sounds much better, the volume pot was really crunchy. Currently running my $10 Paradigm Atom V.3 speakers. A really sweet $30 system if I may say.
I wasn't sure at first, a bit "muddy" on the bottom but the more I listen the more I like. It's in competition with a Luxman R-113, a very different sound.

Certainly oughta to sound a lot better than the stuff at WKRP.:rockon::rolleyes:

All over the place time wise. Sounds like they came from a true collector. Also all German stuff. I was more into the Italian "Bel Canto" (Verdi, Puccini, etc..)

Yes! I hadn't noticed that until I started making the list. I guess since I'm not well (or at all) educated on opera besides whatever Bugs Bunny presented (hence my delight at finding Figaro..haha) I hadn't zeroed in on the names of the performers. Regardless it's a shit-ton of music and I like it! Only problem is i'm seeing the entrance to a rabbit hole! :)

Picked up a Pioneer Elite CLD 79 and a Laserdisc of 2010 to test it with. Great condition and fully functional. These seem to go for a decent amount on the bay..

Yes! I hadn't noticed that until I started making the list. I guess since I'm not well (or at all) educated on opera besides whatever Bugs Bunny presented (hence my delight at finding Figaro..haha) I hadn't zeroed in on the names of the performers. Regardless it's a shit-ton of music and I like it! Only problem is i'm seeing the entrance to a rabbit hole! :)
If you have any questions along the way, feel free to message me.

I'll post some pictures this evening when I get back from toiling in the salt mines.

In the meantime:

Don Giovanni Decca 412-5
Sutherland Bacquier Lorengar Horne Gramm Krenn

Wagner/Jochum Die Meistersinger Von Nurnberg DG 2713011 Plácido Domingo, Roland Hermann and a few others.

Arabella Angel Records "Digital" DSCX-3917 Julia Varady, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

Fígaro. Angel Records 3608 D/L "S" Eberhard Wachter and Elizabeth Schwarzkopf

Sounds like a pretty good haul. I bet you have some real gems in there. You could be sitting on some serious money..

Meh. :dunno:

Maybe but not until I've gone through them and find stuff I really don't enjoy listening to. That won't be for a long time.

Any Telarc digital recordings in there? Some of them book really high. Very nice find. I don't think I could have passed them by for $25.00.

Set of Boston Acoustics A60 - with the dome tweeters and oak vinyl veneer. Woofers need to be refoamed. Slim pickings around here lately.
Strange thing is my son found a set of A60's with the cone tweeters and darker vinyl veneer in the same store a week earlier. The foams on his were good, but not sure if they are the correct 'filleted' foams recommended for the BA 'A' series woofers.

We will do a direct A-B comparison when I get mine done. I will rely on my son's ears, mine aren't what they used to be. Just had my annual check up and my doc says I have a hearing loss in my right ear. All this time I was wondering why every amp or receiver I score seems to have a slightly weaker right channel.

IMGP7210.JPG IMGP7212.JPG

Set of Boston Acoustics A60 - with the dome tweeters and oak vinyl veneer. Woofers need to be refoamed. Slim pickings around here lately.
Strange thing is my son found a set of A60's with the cone tweeters and darker vinyl veneer in the same store a week earlier. The foams on his were good, but not sure if they are the correct 'filleted' foams recommended for the BA 'A' series woofers.

We will do a direct A-B comparison when I get mine done. I will rely on my son's ears, mine aren't what they used to be. Just had my annual check up and my doc says I have a hearing loss in my right ear. All this time I was wondering why every amp or receiver I score seems to have a slightly weaker right channel.

Those look very good! Should sound very good when you are done! Nice find! And even better, someone to share the hobby with! :thumbsup:

Any Telarc digital recordings in there? Some of them book really high. Very nice find. I don't think I could have passed them by for $25.00.

Yeah, well I wasn't even a fan of opera and only slightly interested in classical (I knew the basics that everyone knows) but even I couldn't say no. To be frank, I initially thought that such a pristine collection would have some value to someone so even if I didn't like it, someone would, but I ended up having a great time listening to them and discovering new music. Additionally, I knew exactly what all these mint condition records would have looked like after a week of being pawed through by whoever and I just hate seeing something irreplaceable destroyed.

View attachment 911909 View attachment 911910

Those are great speakers! I have a pair of A70 I got in the exact same condition and after a refoam from Simply Speakers (I bought the foam and did it myself) they easily beat out the Klipsch KG 2.2 I had found earlier. In fact, if they weren't so freaking ugly I may have been able to keep them in the house instead of them being relegated to the garage. I haven't put them up against the Theil 04a yet, but the battle will happen soon.

How do you like the STA-36 receiver?
It has potential, but has issues right now. It has distortion on one channel that is more pronounced when it is on stereo vs mono. I ran it for a couple of hours one night and the distortion disappeared and it sounded really sweet. Unfortunately the distortion came back so I don't want to run it until I figure out what I'm going to do.

@Satch, you got Tool and Opeth at a thrift? That would be a mega score to me.

Buy the Pound GW yielded a pair of Boston Acoustics A-60s ($2) and a boatload of cassettes ($8.64) including a sealed copy of Dire Straits self-titled release. Savers yielded a Kiss Motion Lamp with the box from 2006 produced by Rabbit Tanaka for $5 and an orphan Infinity RS-2000 for $4. Remarkably none of the speakers currently need new surrounds.

Attachments

• KML - 1 (3).jpg
    KML - 1 (3).jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 57
  • KML - 1 (4).jpg
    KML - 1 (4).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 54
  • KML - 1 (5).jpg
    KML - 1 (5).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 54
  • KML - 1 (6).jpg
    KML - 1 (6).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 53
Not exactly a SCORE, but it was $35 at one of my favorite thrifts. NAD 7175PE.
Weak right channel (that I traced to the "low power" switch) and dusty, dirty pots. A few good blasts of Deoxit and it's sounding great. Gobs of power!! Not as warm as my 2230, though. Maybe one of the kids'll be taking it to school in the Fall. Also snagged a Nakamichi OMS-2A with remote for $13. Needs a new loading belt, but otherwise veddy, veddy nice....

IMG_0725.JPG

Back
Top Bottom