Help me pick a Vintage Pioneer Beginner Receiver for my Daughter

Which receiver would you buy your daughter?

• Total voters

RobertLee3rd

Just trying to finish off my hearing
I'm wanting to start a vintage beginner component set for my daughter. This will be her first set and we'll be adding a turntable and speakers as we find them. She listens to classic rock and country. I'm a Pioneer guy so that's primarily what I'm going to start her out with.

My local shop has two Pioneer receivers. Both have been serviced and are in excellent condition. Both are $125.00 out the door. The first is an SX-727. I like this unit because the styling is closer to my SX-1250 and it has that warm vintage Pioneer sound.

The second unit is an SX-3700. I like this unit because the first serious stereo I had was an SX-3700 that my mother bought me for high school graduation in 1981 and it puts out more power at 45 watts vs. 37 for the SX-727 .

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!!!

Which one does SHE like better? You have the classic look of the 727 vs the 'transition' look of the 3700 with the flouroscan display.

I have a 3700 and it's a decent piece of equipment that somehow gets relegated to the 'spare' storage.

Last edited:
I'd go with the 3700 for the quartz lock tuner and digital light meters as well as being newer (younger) but hey buy them both__let her work it out and sell the other. No reason you can't get $150 for either of them.

I can't speak to the 3700 as I've never heard one but if that 727 has good cosmetics and the shop is including a warranty, $125 seems like a pretty darn good price. It would take at least $175 for me to show my pretty 727 the door. The wood veneer cabs on the 727 and 828 can look really nice.

Another point to ponder - 727 needs those special plugs for the 3 sets of speakers so you'd want 3 pair - does the one you're looking at have even one pair ? Even if there are plugs then it's a drag screwing wire to them. (Slot screws lots of fun). Separately they're a bitch to find I've only seen three separate ads for plugs in as many years and they go for $15 - $20 for one pair. Go 3700! Here's a pic showing 1 of 3 pair of plugs in the left slots.Note: positive goes to the top into the horizontal slot. Not all the plugs have the red dot on them also early Akai plugs will also work.
pioneerstereoreceivermodelsx-727_5.jpg

Last edited:
As a tech, I like the SX-727 much better.
Working on an SX-3700 is a major PITA!

As a user, I tend to run FM a lot. I listen while I work so changing CD and LP is a distraction.
I find the early Pioneer tuners to be sweeter in sound.

Another point to ponder - 727 needs those special plugs for the 3 sets of speakers so you'd want 3 pair - does the one you're looking at have even one pair ? Even if there are plugs then it's a drag screwing wire to them. (Slot screws lots of fun). Separately they're a bitch to find I've only seen three separate ads for plugs in as many years.and they go for $15 - $20 for one pair. Go 3700! Here's a pic showing 1 of 3 pair of plugs in the left slots.Note: positive goes to the top into the horizontal slot. Not all the plugs have the red dot on them also early Akai plugs will also work.
View attachment 911822

Thanks! That's the kind of info I was hoping for. I'll check for the plugs when we go to look at them on Saturday. She will be looking at both of them. I just didn't want to buy one of them and find out later there is a fatal flaw in the one we pick. The shop offers a 60 day warranty. If I can negotiate a deal, I may buy both.

3700 was my first real stereo so I am biased. fwiw a female co worker fell in love with my absolute mint 3700 daily driver (or ex daily driver) and now has a woman cave (she-shelter?) with it and a turntable.

Thanks! That's the kind of info I was hoping for. I'll check for the plugs when we go to look at them on Saturday. She will be looking at both of them. I just didn't want to buy one of them and find out later there is a fatal flaw in the one we pick. The shop offers a 60 day warranty. If I can negotiate a deal, I may buy both.

There are many posts here about making plugs.
Cinch plugs work and are $5-$6 from Mouser.

I'm with Blaine with regards to the sx3700 being a pain in the patute to fix. It's extremely sensitive to techs or hobbiests who don't know about switching amps. The SX-727 is easier to repair, uses COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) parts that are easily found (less IC's) and it's also a better looking unit. I've had both and the 727 put's out less heat than the 3700. So there is that also if you aren't used to a medium powered unit putting out more heat. It ain't much but it's noticable. You can make speaker plugs from either cinch plugs or male 2 prong cord plugs. Like Blaine said too many posts about how to make and with photo's too.

SX-727 all the way. IIRC it has more source inputs too.

HOW OLD is your Daughter???? This also plays into it. Both have a good amount of switches and pots, and might be a bit of source overload for a kid. But then again, she may pick up on it faster than you do. My 6 year old grand-daughter has been using a KLH-20 since 3 and plays my 1963 FISHER Executive, (a console with an 800c in it) without problems (including a Garrard Type "A" Turntable and the AMPEX 1250 tape deck) when she comes over for overnights.

Way more warmth with the 727 ( this thing really flies !!!! ) I had the 3700... not for long. Cheapo fluoroscan and very dry
sounding.

727 will lift you ! Get them flaps out ! Full thrust !

im actually redoing a 727 now. i agree, its a much nicer unit and easier to work on. that sx-3x00 series is when the bean counters started to take over.

I'm with Blaine with regards to the sx3700 being a pain in the patute to fix. It's extremely sensitive to techs or hobbiests who don't know about switching amps. The SX-727 is easier to repair, uses COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) parts that are easily found (less IC's) and it's also a better looking unit. I've had both and the 727 put's out less heat than the 3700. So there is that also if you aren't used to a medium powered unit putting out more heat. It ain't much but it's noticable. You can make speaker plugs from either cinch plugs or male 2 prong cord plugs. Like Blaine said too many posts about how to make and with photo's too.

SX-727 all the way. IIRC it has more source inputs too.

HOW OLD is your Daughter???? This also plays into it. Both have a good amount of switches and pots, and might be a bit of source overload for a kid. But then again, she may pick up on it faster than you do. My 6 year old grand-daughter has been using a KLH-20 since 3 and plays my 1963 FISHER Executive, (a console with an 800c in it) without problems (including a Garrard Type "A" Turntable and the AMPEX 1250 tape deck) when she comes over for overnights.

She's 29 and is just discovering the world of vinyl. The more I read, I'm probably leaning toward the SX-727.

Thanks!

I'm with Blaine with regards to the sx3700 being a pain in the patute to fix. It's extremely sensitive to techs or hobbiests who don't know about switching amps.

I guess this is one of those things like people bringing me OBS ford 4x4s cuz no one can figure out how to rebuild the 4x4 or align them...not that its germane to any part of this discussion but I never thot a single aspect of the 3700 was in any way difficult...but then again Im biased (15mv over my emitter)

She's 29 and is just discovering the world of vinyl. The more I read, I'm probably leaning toward the SX-727.

Thanks!
her age group are my most numerous customers in the vinyl portion of my store....Id say send her over for a look see, but the commute might be a biotch.

Back
Top Bottom