At what point is it enough?

It took me five+ years to get up the balls to throw it away. It wasn't my intention to see it being tossed. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. At this time in my life, I was making $1.75 an hour; so buying another $500 receiver or paying the $90/hr, for repair, was mostly out of the question. I worked very hard and saved a little at a time to come up with the original money to buy the 1250.

Yes, this was a real blow for me because that 1250 was a sort of symbol of something I had always wanted, a real quality high power receiver. I went through high school and college with a 25 watt Lafayette integrated amp and a pair of Criterion 10a speakers. I felt I deserved something special and I worked hard to get it. That is why it was real blow when I killed it with my own hand. I was like having a shotgun being fired two feet from my face. I'm over it now and I have a 1280 and a 1250 rehabbed by mattsd. They are now the core of my living room system. I'm feeling much better now. :thumbsup:

Been there, done that KingBubba. Nearly the same exact story, except after popping a fuse, I replaced with a LARGER fuse on my CHERRY-MINT 1250. It got tossed in a dump (not by me, but by the friend I gave it to, with the stipulation he get it fixed).

You have to learn to smile and play the music more!
The equipment is servant to the music ...
if you forget about the music, it becomes pointless!

I was a hoarder when I live in the States, well sorta of a hoarder because I do flip gears but I was always buying and the house is always a mess. Before I leave for Taiwan to take care for my aging parents (89,91 years old) I sold off everything and give away the rest that was hard to sell. Now two years later in Taiwan I have bought a Marantz CR-611, SA Mantra 5 speakers, SA Aura 1 speakers, Monitor Audio Radius 380, Modi Uber 2 Multibits DAC, SMSL M8 DAC, Teac TN-300 these were all new gear. I also bought Sansui B/C 2102, Sansui AU-X901, Sansui AU-X711, Pioneer C-90, Marantz Model 250M, Marantz 16D, Sony CDS C333ES, Primare T21, KEF 105/3 and Spendor SP3/1P. I also just bit on Ebay on some Proton receiver because my tech has one and it sounded nice and I want one. None of these gears are cheap here, I think its twice of the prices in the U.S because the government here adds a 37% tax on imported stereo stuff. I just realize this morning that I have a sickness and also the some of the Akers have this problems too. The question is "is there a cure for this buying sickness"?

Seems to me the solution is to become a trader. When you trade one piece for another there's no net gain of stuff. And I think the thrill of the chase and conquest may even be better.

Depends on what "it" you've set as a goal. I've never completely achieved "it" here, but I'm getting close, and I'm sure "it" will be obvious when I get there ...

ohmmmmmmmmmm ...

Hey, James!
Good to hear that you're still OK. If you get back to NJ, be sure to check in again.
Otherwise, do the best to love yourself and have a great life!
Your nutty buddy, Phil

If you are at the point where you need to ask the question, then you are past the point where you need to modify/stop your behavior.

Good to hear that you're still OK. If you get back to NJ, be sure to check in again.
Otherwise, do the best to love yourself and have a great life!
Your nutty buddy, Phil
Phil, nice to hear from you too, my RA condition is under control and I think the warmer weather here helps too. If I am in the N.J. area I will definitely stop by.

You have to learn to smile and play the music more!
The equipment is servant to the music ...
if you forget about the music, it becomes pointless!
Heather, I am listening to music at least 3 hours a day so I am good in that department.

Heather, I am listening to music at least 3 hours a day so I am good in that department.
Understood - but - there is that point where you worry more about upgrading gear ...
Believe me, I do get there too, but try to avoid following Craigslist and ebay and all those other places ...

Yes, I am putting a stop to that now, because I am not trading and selling any more. I gotta change my mentality, its not like in the States where deals are every where, here there's no deals just hidden traps. I think I learn my lesson now.

I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude or anything but thank you for this line because I started laughing out loud uncontrollably picturing the scene of watching a botched fix get taken by the trash man...if it hurt so bad why did you watch it get taken away? You seriously hated yourself for years over ruining a piece of electronic equipment?

Perhaps it wasn't as much the equipment as the thought that he had destroyed it. I empathize with him.

A GE boom box my wife gave me for Christmas, at a time in our life when that was a huge expense to us, quit. The tape deck died, I removed it to see what went wrong, and then repaired the boom box until it made a loud pop and went completely dead when powered up. It wasn't the boom box that bothered me as much as the fact that my ham-handedness had destroyed it.

James, keep reporting here, honestly. The gear thing was getting out of hand for you, but to your enormous credit you realized it and brought it to us here. Keep using us for support.

When activities become obsessive habits, they crowd out other activities that could offer you better life satisfaction. Think about what you are missing in your life, and work on gaining back what you may have lost--or missed on the way.

My want list is now down to two pages ... granted, it's pretty small print. Truth be told, it's more a lack of space now that keeps my buying more or less under control. <G>

I wish, like severely !

I'm all messed up and wish I could get my hands dirty. Everything is history for me. I'm not even gonna act like I'm still in it. This is my only connect to the hobby except for doing little mods on my setup and I thank everyone for what I've learned !

What if they were a pair of Harbeth bookshelf speakers or a Luxman cdp or A killer Sansui receiver?

I can invoke the option to "fail" in my journey toward self-betterment. That's part of the game!

I'm pretty good at resisting cheap stuff at this point.

The Luxman and Sansui I could probably pass up without a second thought. Harbeth... I'd spend a minute thumbing my phone for more info with my other hand holding a speaker under my arm.

I can invoke the option to "fail" in my journey toward self-betterment. That's part of the game!

I'm pretty good at resisting cheap stuff at this point.

The Luxman and Sansui I could probably pass up without a second thought. Harbeth... I'd spend a minute thumbing my phone for more info with my other hand holding a speaker under my arm.
Really,even Luxman!

Back
Top Bottom