SACD recommendations

Treated myself to some new software. Beck - Sea Change Thought it was SCAD but HDCD arrived. I guess $9 was TGTBT, James Taylor - Dad Loves His Work SACD, and Natalie Merchant - Tigerlilly, MOFI gold CD. I also ordered Mark Knopfler - Shangri La SACD; but it never came. That and Beck were ordered thru Half.com. I got a refund on Shangri La and Sea Change sounds somewhat better in HDCD than the redbook layer on superior hardware; so I guess you could say my first experience with this site wan't half bad.
I did the same comparison with Dad Loves His Work. SACD on an Oppo DV-980H and CD on a NAD C546BEE. Same result, SACD much more detailed with a larger, more defined stage. Can't wait until I replace one of these players with a better CD/SACD player. Now enough analysis. On to pleasure listening.

PentaTone The First 10 Years

From the PentaTone booklet: "In order to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our label, we have selected 10 albums to include in an anniversary box: one dating from each year of our existence." - Giel Bessels.

Also included is a BONUS disc which includes 14 excerpts from other PentaTone albums and a series test tones that are useful for setting up a 5.1 channel sound system. Note this bonus disc is identical to the PentaTone Super Audio CD Sampler vol. 2, PentaTone classics 5186 086.

I really like this set and the sound is demo worthy. The multi-channel mix places hall ambiance in the surround channels which adds a openness and realism to the sound.

Highly recommended. :music:

Pentatone_2.JPG

It's that time of year....when I get to OD on my favorite Christmas album, now on SACD.

A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi Trio

This one simmers and swings, and somehow never gets old. Great sound quality too, especially the stand up bass.

jblnut

I discovered one of my Manheim Steamroller Christmas CDs had an HDCD track! I've replaced my Oppo DV-980H with a BDP-95. Nice upgrade. Got my first Blu ray audio. David Gilmour's Rattle That Lock. It comes with a CD version. There's quite a step up in SQ with the Blu ray. Bigger sound stage, brighter top end, better decay. They sent me the DVD version first by accident. Surprisingly, I can't say it sounded much different than the CD.

Getting back to SACDs, I am going to order the Band, Cahoots. Has anyone compared the MoFi version with the SHM-SACD?

Just bought some SACDs after reading through this thread. Tsuyoski Yamamoto - Midnight Sugar, Diana Krall Love Scenes, Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, Monk Straight No Chaser. Now on to buying the MCD500...now I suppose I have no choice with these titles on the way!

I realize I never closed the loop on Cahoots. I settled on the SHM version. My first take was that it was very bright and cloying. I didn't care for it at all and set it aside. A few weeks ago I was auditioning a Creek integrated with a passive preamp, the Classic 5350 SE. Some reviewers thought it was too bright. I didn't hear it, so I slipped Cahoots into my BDP-95. It wasn't bright at all! Nor was it when I switched back to my old Rotel. I don't know what happened, maybe the new ICs on the BDP finally broke in or something, but the sound quality and neutrality of the SHM are excellent, as are the performances of the Band and their guests. The songwriting, on the other hand.....

Welcome to the club, 04blackmaxx!

Should be spinning the Monk/Straight No Chaser today once FedEx arrives with the MCD500...None of the other SACDs have shown up yet so I'll likely be evaluating the player's redbook performance too this evening.

even though the XRCDs are made more carefully, i just never felt they were much more than conventional CDs and the acquisition of holst's planets with zubin mehta and the LAPhil confirmed it. i don't remember how i got it nor how i ended up with a second copy. compared to the LP, the xrcd is lacking. it doesn't have the excitement of the vinyl and certainly not in the league of the 2LP 45rpm reissue.

as i understand it, the original issue decca is the one to have but i have four LP, the xrcd and no sacd. my first piece of that vinyl was noisy but tolerably so when i had no other copy. THEN i found a pretty good one at a small record store in the EASY LISTENING BIN!! after that, i held out for a good reissue of which i have two--a 33rpm and the 2LP 45rpm.

in that i have a pretty nice LP player (SOTA Sapphire/MMT) i find no drive to get the sacd but it would be preferrable to any 16/44.1 copy. i DO have a good stack of SACDs, maybe 100 overall. i like sea change this way but heard the mofi vinyl version and it is SO much more palpable and alive. now the mofi is priced for much wealthier people than myself.

I got Amy Winehouse's Back to Black Blu Ray audio. I really like it. There are 24 bit PCM, DTS-HD, and Dolby HD layers. It does her multilayered voice justice.

Should be spinning the Monk/Straight No Chaser today once FedEx arrives with the MCD500...None of the other SACDs have shown up yet so I'll likely be evaluating the player's redbook performance too this evening.

How do you like it? I have the SACD straight no chaser album and I think it is great!

I got the Sony SACD of Jennifer Warnes, The Hunter a while back. Highly recommended. Very clean and dynamic. The Bass on Way Down Deep is really satisfying and not to be missed.
I also received the MoFi SACD of Love, Da Capo. While Forever Changes has been a favorite on vinyl since it was first released; Da Capo is a very different sound. I hope it grows on me because I haven't been moved to listen to the whole thing yet and I've had it two weeks.

Based on reviews in another thread I ordered Analogue Productions' Patsy Cline's Greatest Hits. Although Country is not one of my favorite genres, the reviews were right. It's beautiful! When I tried to order from Acoustic Sounds, the shipping was ridiculous. So I ordered through Discogs and Acoustic Sounds fulfilled the order using media mailer for a few bucks. Apparently If you order from AS by phone you can request the media mailer.

CAPP_74854_SA__86032__03042013025605-8791.jpg

Back
Top Bottom