Denon DCD-810

Wolverine

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I picked this unit up today at a thrift store but no nothing about it and web surfing has not really turned up anything.

Anyone here familiar with it??????

I still have mine, it was my 1st cd player. Truth be told it sounds horrible by even a cheap DVD player made today. I keep it only for sentimental reasons and it sits in a box. Without a digital output option there is no way to improve it either. On the plus side it still works after 20+ years, so it was made well. Like almost all the players from that era the sound is very thin and upper range notes are shrill.

Mine sounds pretty good. Denon CD players tend to have more treble clarity than others. If you are looking for warm sound, Denon is not for you.

In my systems, it is not as good as Denon's DVD-2800, but is fairly close to a Philips with 24/192 dac, with the Philips sounds warmer and 810 more details. I certainly like it better than Marantz 63 and an old Magnavox cdb that some people rave about. It also sounds better to me than a Yamaha CDX that has the same Burr-Brown dac.

Well I only paid $5 for it and I did not have any Denon equipment in my set-up so I thought it was worth the money...... :)

I hooked it up last night and it did seem to handle the highs better than the older Pioneer that was in that set-up. I could not tell if it was the CD player though or the fact I am still getting used to the Infinity 2000.04 speakers that I picked up last week that seem to run a little bright.

It was missing the remote so if either of you could give me the remote model number I can look for it in some of the bins at the local thrifts. Also any chance one of you could scan and PM me the owner's manual?????? Please???????

Thanks for your replies so far- Happy Holidays!!!!!

BTW I'm a big fan of Denon in general, didn't mean to dump on your unit! CD players have come a long way in 20+ years as dacs have gotten better and cheaper. Try looking for a remote with a similar model # before spending $50 on a new one, it should work.

BTW I'm a big fan of Denon in general, didn't mean to dump on your unit! CD players have come a long way in 20+ years as dacs have gotten better and cheaper. Try looking for a remote with a similar model # before spending $50 on a new one, it should work.

Thanks for the help and link. I think I will just keep the model # you gave me handy and keep it handy when I am thrifting, can't see paying 10x the price of the player to get the remote..... :)

No offense taken on the unit since as I mentioned the only other stand alone CD player I have is a Pioneer PD-4500 from 91. I am currently using a low-level Sony DVD player for playing CD's in my main 2-channel set-up which I guess I'll stick with for now since you mention it is probably still be better than either the Pioneer or Denon.

Not being knowing anything about DAC's from this era anyone know between the Denon and the Pioneer which has the better DAC?

++1
BIG fan of Denon too!!
I have a BOTL Denon DCD520 ($10 yard sale) & near TOTL Denon DCD1500.
Sound quality is reasonable close in both players despite the cost differential.
IMO Denon has always made good reasonably priced equipment.

Steve

Old post yeah I know BUT My Denon PMA- 520 Amplifier & Denon DCD -810 is a great sounding combo. Hooked up to a set of Realistic Minimus 7's ( Zilch mods) Rock.

Attachments

• IMG_1123.JPG
    IMG_1123.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1126.JPG
    IMG_1126.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 17
Old post yeah I know BUT My Denon PMA- 520 Amplifier & Denon DCD -810 is a great sounding combo. Hooked up to a set of Realistic Minimus 7's ( Zilch mods) Rock.
Nice looking system you have!
May I suggest adding a 10 or 12 inch sub with the 7's? You'll be shocked how great it can sound!

Nice looking system you have!
May I suggest adding a 10 or 12 inch sub with the 7's? You'll be shocked how great it can sound!

I will have to consider that option down the road, Instead of passing them up at goodwill I'll grab one one day

I will have to consider that option down the road, Instead of passing them up at goodwill I'll grab one one day
I found an Optimus Pro 12 sub at my local SA for If I remember correctly for 12.99. Needed a new surround which I replaced, otherwise it was mint. When I hooked it up with my 7's, I was extremely surprised & impressed!

Back
Top Bottom