Pioneer SA 9800 moving coil performance?

Bound2Glory

Hey all!

I'm considering a modern moving coil cartridge for my Hitachi HT-500 (something like the dynavector 10x5).
I know that moving-coil cartridges have come a long way since the early eighties, so I'm a bit concerned about the compatibility/performance of a modern Mc cartridge with my 9800.

Thought I'd reach out to the community and get some thoughts...

Thanks in advance.
Joe

*For those who are unfamiliar with my Hitachi turntable, it has a low mass straight arm.

Hey all!

I'm considering a modern moving coil cartridge for my Hitachi HT-500 (something like the dynavector 10x5).
I know that moving-coil cartridges have come a long way since the early eighties, so I'm a bit concerned about the compatibility/performance of a modern Mc cartridge with my 9800.

Thought I'd reach out to the community and get some thoughts...

Thanks in advance.
Joe

*For those who are unfamiliar with my Hitachi turntable, it has a low mass straight arm.

Welcome to the Pioneer forum.

The "dynavector 10x5" is a homc - high output moving coil cartridge that will work well with your Pioneer SA-9800 without any additional help.

You will need a SUT- Step Up Transformer with lomc- low output moving coil cartridges though. :music:

Cool... So I would be able to fit the dynavector on my turntable and plug the turntable directly into the moving coil input of the 9800, simple as that? No step up or pre-amp needed?

Welcome to the Pioneer forum.

The "dynavector 10x5" is a homc - high output moving coil cartridge that will work well with your Pioneer SA-9800 without any additional help.

You will need a SUT- Step Up Transformer with lomc- low output moving coil cartridges though. :music:

Cool... So I would be able to fit the dynavector on my turntable and plug the turntable directly into the moving coil input of the 9800, simple as that? No step up or pre-amp needed?

No need to use the moving coil input, just use the mm phono input. :music:

Any thoughts on whether or not the performance of the dynavector would be hindered at all?

No reason why it should be hinder by the phono setup.

Some things you should check to make sure that it will be able to perform at its best.

Check headshell wires and clips for proper contact (erosion).

Check for proper cartridge alignment in the headshell.

Check and make sure the azimuth of the needle and cantilever are correct.

Enjoy! :music:

Back
Top Bottom