Your photo, critiqued and/or praised. It's about learning and improving.

This thread isn't getting too much new stuff, so here's one. Taken a block from my house in Hawthorne NJ. Nikon D600, 28mm 2.8D, 13 seconds at F5.6, ASA 200.

32924160762_30c61dcd4b_z_d.jpg

I'm guessing the dual coloring is high pressure sodium street lights for the sky and background, and something whiter for the tree and foreground?

Anyway, a quick scan around the image makes me wonder if just a little detail could be brought out in dark lower right area, without making it too light. Not so much a critique as an itch to experiment.

I'm guessing the dual coloring is high pressure sodium street lights for the sky and background, and something whiter for the tree and foreground?

Anyway, a quick scan around the image makes me wonder if just a little detail could be brought out in dark lower right area, without making it too light. Not so much a critique as an itch to experiment.

You're right, it's a mixed light environment. I did do a version where the road on the lower right was bought up a bit ... and decided I like this one better. To me, the size of the image makes a difference in how the black comes across. I didn't post the full-size version here, but you can see it at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevefretz/32924160762/in/photostream/lightbox/ and decide for yourself whether I made the right choice or not.

Thanks for commenting.

The full size does look better. It also looks like the road would be the same orange color as the background. I was picturing it as neutral, and I think if it were a large orange area it would be distracting.

Thanks frperdurabo! I'm just a not so skilled amateur who loves getting it right once in a while. Been taking photos since I was in my 20s and processing Ektachrome, LOL. It's just another fun hobby.

tygr: I was asking about the lens, because I thought the bokeh needed to be softer. Not sure you can with that lens at 5.6. I do like these kind of shots. Be curious of the color version.

I like 2. Color and the full falls. One of my first photos when starting as an enthusiast was taking the full falls(Minnehaha Falls) like you did and then the top and bottom.

Thanks for the input. I also like 3, but for a different reason... the yellowish-brown of the foreground rock vs the algae-covered green on in the background provides a nice color contrast to me.

It is an unexpected pleasure to find this thread.. Great shots here, and insightful opinions given. I'll join up and post a couple of my shots soon.

The best way is to upload your image to a third party site, and then get the URL of the image and insert it here using the image icon at the top of the editing window.

Example of an image hosted on Flickr:
32774660880_453bd93aae_b.jpg

Pigeon 1.jpg
1/400 @ F8 ISO1250 Nikon D3200 Tamron 70-300mm @300mm.
I love the colours of these birds and it's nice to see the colours on them when photographed.
This is the first time I've ever submited a photo for criticism so it will be interesting to see what I might learn.

Back
Top Bottom