Today's JAZZ playlist

Trying to explain to my eight-year-old the importance of this album (and Jazz in general)...

Something's gotta stick, right? :)

R-8751237-1467985002-9013.jpeg.jpg

Bud_Powell_in_Paris_%28album_cover%29.jpg

Hey guys! Just got back in town after going on walkabout for a week or so. While I was away, I picked up this Bud Powell record. I've been listening to Bud for years, but just never heard this one. Man...dig Bud playing "Body and Soul". Just forget it. Wow. And what a treat to hear him play "Satin Doll"! I just love what he does with that song. And it's so special to me that it's on Frank's Reprise label. Love that old steamboat on the label. The record was apparently produced by Duke Ellington. There are probably a lot of you already familiar with this LP, but it's the first time I ever heard it. Bud Powell - thank you. You were so great. God touched you, and hear I am, blessed to hear you playing right now...

Hey guys! Just got back in town after going on walkabout for a week or so. While I was away, I picked up this Bud Powell record. I've been listening to Bud for years, but just never heard this one. Man...dig Bud playing "Body and Soul". Just forget it. Wow. And what a treat to hear him play "Satin Doll"! I just love what he does with that song. And it's so special to me that it's on Frank's Reprise label. Love that old steamboat on the label. The record was apparently produced by Duke Ellington. There are probably a lot of you already familiar with this LP, but it's the first time I ever heard it. Bud Powell - thank you. You were so great. God touched you, and hear I am, blessed to hear you playing right now...

Glad you made it back home! :thumbsup: That's so nice you found something at that record store, that made the trip even better. ;) Wow, you really are gaga over that album! :D

Bud sounds good right now. Gonna follow your lead and find a Bud Powell album I haven't heard before. :D
gOWIQgm.jpg

Trying to explain to my eight-year-old the importance of this album (and Jazz in general)...

Something's gotta stick, right? :)

R-8751237-1467985002-9013.jpeg.jpg

You would think so.

My father retreated into his "Den" every evening and some weekends to smoke his pipe, drink coffee and play Jazz. He didn't push anything on me, but evidently something rubbed off. Decades later I'm still loving the genre. But as I've told others here, it wasn't until my high school music teacher played Woody Herman's "Giant Steps" that I truly became a fan of the genre. I evidently needed a 3rd party to push me over the edge with the genre. But I'm sure my father's incessant playing of Jazz didn't hurt!

I don't think I've listened to this album either. As far as memory serves, anyway. I'll have to dig it up from our friendly neighborhood online shop.
It actually just finished and it's already on my wish list to get on CD. Definitely buying this one. Philly Joe Jones drum work is really impressive as well.

It's so nice to have Spotify for nights like this. Plus it looks like they will be offering a lossless streaming option soon. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom