Marantz 2238b - worth fixing?

Ryan11

Hello all,
I need some advice from people who know Marantz sound...

I picked up a Marantz 2238b from CL ($225) recently and it has some issues.

Channel 1: Left side seems to have more power output than right side
Channel 2: Left side sounds extremely scratchy through the speaker (jbl e100) and the right side does not play sound at all.

When toggling between the two channels, Channel 1 sometimes cuts out completely.

I know it isn't my speakers because they ran fine on my other receiver.

I have little to no knowledge on how to fix it, but there is a guy about an hour away that I contacted who would fix it for $150. Is it worth putting additional money into or should I cut my losses?

I am really stuck on finding a Pioneer sa8800, so I do not want to sink too much money into this receiver.

Thanks in advance.

Channel 1, 2 - do you mean Speakers 1 and 2? If yes, then:

From what you describe it seems like your Marantz simply needs some cleaning. That would include switches and possibly speaker relay. Cleaning switches is very easy and even an inexperienced person can do it. Relay would be more tricky

It is definitely worth fixing, but $150 is a lot if it's cleaning only. That said, only after cleaning it will be clear whether cleaning remedied all problems, or the receiver still needs repairs.

Clean the speaker selector switches.

Since you're getting different behaviour through A and B speakers, that's probably the problem.

I'm an hour from you. Let me know if you get stuck. I may be able to help a little. I have all the tools and chemicals you may need. Heck, if we can meet I'll take it home and see what I can do, and I don't charge anything.

Who, may I ask will do the work? Asking because I've not bee able to find anyone I trust, or that has been able to fix any receivers I have had that were beyond my level of expertise (which isn't that high...). They either say it's too expensive to fix, or their not interested in the job, or it's a pretty high hourly rate with not much of a warranty.

A lot of folks will tell you it's too old and needs to be re-capped. Others will say if it works and sounds good, leave it alone. I'm in the latter camp.

I can't even get my SACD player fixed, or a cassette deck.

I haven't tried everyone, but I've tried a couple in Cleveland/Akron/Canton area.

Also, FWIW I had a Marantz 2238b. It sold on Ebay for $325 plus shipping and it took a long time. It was near perfect in finish and function, but all original except for lamps. So that may give you an idea of teh market value for a unit in very nice cosmetic condition and 100% functional.

It's different if you plan on keeping it. It may be worth the $s to have it properly restored. I will probably eventually spring the $400-$500 or so to restore a Sansui 7000. Is it worth it. Financially, no. You can get a really nice Yamaha RS700 stereo receiver for $500, which is a killer 100 wpc unit.

YMMV

Ross

Which side of Cleveland are you on?
My wife and I will be on the east side(Mentor) for a week in May visiting our 90+ year old moms.
I usually bring along part of my Marantz shop tools/parts with me and can help if you'd like.

Bob

I'm an hour from you. Let me know if you get stuck. I may be able to help a little. I have all the tools and chemicals you may need. Heck, if we can meet I'll take it home and see what I can do, and I don't charge anything.

Who, may I ask will do the work? Asking because I've not bee able to find anyone I trust, or that has been able to fix any receivers I have had that were beyond my level of expertise (which isn't that high...). They either say it's too expensive to fix, or their not interested in the job, or it's a pretty high hourly rate with not much of a warranty.

A lot of folks will tell you it's too old and needs to be re-capped. Others will say if it works and sounds good, leave it alone. I'm in the latter camp.

I can't even get my SACD player fixed, or a cassette deck.

I haven't tried everyone, but I've tried a couple in Cleveland/Akron/Canton area.

Also, FWIW I had a Marantz 2238b. It sold on Ebay for $325 plus shipping and it took a long time. It was near perfect in finish and function, but all original except for lamps. So that may give you an idea of teh market value for a unit in very nice cosmetic condition and 100% functional.

It's different if you plan on keeping it. It may be worth the $s to have it properly restored. I will probably eventually spring the $400-$500 or so to restore a Sansui 7000. Is it worth it. Financially, no. You can get a really nice Yamaha RS700 stereo receiver for $500, which is a killer 100 wpc unit.

YMMV

Ross

Hey Ross, thank you so much for the offer! I will try my hand at tearing it apart and cleaning it first, but will keep your offer in mind. That said, if you are ever working on something that you need a second hand, I am always up for learning and helping out. I almost made the mistake of buying CRC contact cleaner yesterday, because I could not find anyone locally who sold Deoxit, but after reading the forums, decided to just order Deoxit and wait until next week to work on it.

The guy I found was in Akron. https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/ele/6085488631.html
Have you tried to contact Play it Again Sam's and Accu-TV Stereo Repair? Both are in Cleveland; they work on vintage audio equipment.

Which side of Cleveland are you on?
My wife and I will be on the east side(Mentor) for a week in May visiting our 90+ year old moms.
I usually bring along part of my Marantz shop tools/parts with me and can help if you'd like.

Bob
Hey Bob,

I am right downtown, by the Browns stadium.

Thank you very much! I may take you up on the offer. Do you know when, in May, you will be in the area? I am waiting for a delivery of Deoxit to come by mail next week and I will take a crack at it.

Now that I am thinking about it, the guy I bought it from said he upgraded the lamps to LEDs, but it is VERY dull compared to pictures I have seen posted online. I may order some lamps from ebay to replace at the same time I have the unit open to clean it.

Read this first! http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/
You very well could fix it by cleaning all the switches and pots. If not, you may have a worn speaker relay. This is also a relatively easy fix, one that the kind folks at AudioKarma would be happy to walk you through.
Thanks Chef! I just printed the whole thing. Will be trying my hand at tearing it apart and cleaning it next week and will follow that guide/good ole' youtube.

because I could not find anyone locally who sold Deoxit, but after reading the forums, decided to just order Deoxit and wait until next week to work on it.

Just for future reference--ALL Guitar Center stores carry pretty much the full line of DeOxit products back in their pro-audio dept.

Channel 1, 2 - do you mean Speakers 1 and 2? If yes, then:

From what you describe it seems like your Marantz simply needs some cleaning. That would include switches and possibly speaker relay. Cleaning switches is very easy and even an inexperienced person can do it. Relay would be more tricky

It is definitely worth fixing, but $150 is a lot if it's cleaning only. That said, only after cleaning it will be clear whether cleaning remedied all problems, or the receiver still needs repairs.
I think you are spot on with the cleaning. That is the general consensus from all the replies to my post. Thanks for the input. I have talked with 3 repair shops and they all quote me the same thing, around 150 to start, which makes me think they also believe it is just in need of cleaning.

We will be there the weekend of May 14th.
Hold off on the LED's if you can and I'll bring along some of the snap-in ones I like/use for you to see.
Be careful with the lamp housing if you decide to go ahead as the little plastic tabs almost always break off when trying to extract the lamp board.
I always go in through the front since I'm doing a full restoration anyway.
I have several 2238b parts units in case you need something.

Bob

Look at this list of replies without many answering the question in the title. Worth fixing? Seems all the responses are suggestions on how to fix, offers to help fix and such. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing it is worth fixing. Seems like you are in good hands with these guys and you should have a nice working 2238B fairly soon.

Niece used to have that one, gave it to her for Christmas one year. Nephew has it now with the three-piece cabinet, professionally rebuilt with real walnut, looking great.

We will be there the weekend of May 14th.
Hold off on the LED's if you can and I'll bring along some of the snap-in ones I like/use for you to see.
Be careful with the lamp housing if you decide to go ahead as the little plastic tabs almost always break off when trying to extract the lamp board.
I always go in through the front since I'm doing a full restoration anyway.
I have several 2238b parts units in case you need something.

Bob
OK I will take your advice and hold off. I was still trying to use it yesterday when the right side started acting up. Decided to take it out of commission until I clean it thoroughly.

Look at this list of replies without many answering the question in the title. Worth fixing? Seems all the responses are suggestions on how to fix, offers to help fix and such. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but I'm guessing it is worth fixing. Seems like you are in good hands with these guys and you should have a nice working 2238B fairly soon.

Niece used to have that one, gave it to her for Christmas one year. Nephew has it now with the three-piece cabinet, professionally rebuilt with real walnut, looking great.

The way I read them all is, like you said, worth it if it just needs a good clean. The other thing I gleaned from all the responses is that 150 at a repair shop is not worth it and I should just do it myself (or with help).

150 at a shop should get you way more than a couple squirts of deoxit. That is 2 hours or so of work and maybe a few components. If the unit isn't working after your Technician in a Can work is completed, 150 at a shop might well find and fix the problem and the unit is worth that.

I've own two of them and have compared it to other Maranz? Definitely worth keeping and throwing energy in to. (Even if you go above present value a bit.) Aside from the 38 to 42 watts? It performs extremely well and me not having kept one is a misstep of mine. Enjoy.

A shop wanting $150 is not at all unreasonable, even if just for a thorough cleaning, maybe a few light bulbs and a full calibration to factory specs. In my neck of the woods, $75 is a basic bench fee to crack the case and tell you what (if anything) is wrong. It may seem a little steep, but qualified/reputable techs are few and far between, and well worth the investment over some "wanna be" hack.

A shop wanting $150 is not at all unreasonable, even if just for a thorough cleaning, maybe a few light bulbs and a full calibration to factory specs. In my neck of the woods, $75 is a basic bench fee to crack the case and tell you what (if anything) is wrong. It may seem a little steep, but qualified/reputable techs are few and far between, and well worth the investment over some "wanna be" hack.

+1

A decent commercial HVAC Tech probably starts at $100/hr, Auto Tech, $75/hr (a real Tech, not a tire buster).

I'll gladly pay for proper service, it's the shoulder shrug and "it's not worth fixing" (isn't that the customer's decision?), or $50 repair that lasts a day or two, or worse yet someone that keeps your gear for several weeks and then becomes "un-reachable" (yes, it happened to me), that kind of gets my goat.

Anyone know of a decent, honest servie tech in teh Akron/Canton area? I have a couple lines on folks in Cleveland, but closer would be preferable.

Back
Top Bottom