How to integrate vintage marantz into a modern HT system

Carbon13

I'm currently running an emotiva UMC200 connected to a UPA700 amp. I have a project carbon tt connected via a cambridge 651p phonostage.

I recently acquired a Marantz 2230 and thorens td160 tt. I was considering replacing the project with the thorens and running the marantz as a stereo amp to my mains. That's easy enough to do by connecting the UMC200 to the main in on the marantz but then I was thinking what if I wanted to use the marantz phono stage instead of the cambridge? how would that work? could I run the tape out line to the analogue in on the UMC and set it to "direct" mode? Seems like a weird loop. I guess the other option is a speaker switch but would like to understand this first.

Thanks.

There are things you could do like running the UMC200 L&R out to the aux input on the Marantz, but it's a clumsy setup. If it were me, I'd just build a second system for the Marantz. YMMV.

There are things you could do like running the UMC200 L&R out to the aux input on the Marantz, but it's a clumsy setup. If it were me, I'd just build a second system for the Marantz. YMMV.

Thanks. I may end up adding a second set of fronts just for the thorens/marantz but want to explore other options first. Not sure the aux input idea works in this case as you would essentially have double processing by UMC and 2230, no?

The ideal would be to have my HT run off the UMC and UPA, which it currently is, and add in the Marantz and Thorens (connected to the phono of the Marantz) run through the same front speakers. I know that I can do this with a switch but I was wondering if it's possible to use the amplifier of the Marantz for L&R (ie. remove the jumpers) and still use the phonostage somehow. Is this possible?

The ideal would be to have my HT run off the UMC and UPA, which it currently is, and add in the Marantz and Thorens (connected to the phono of the Marantz) run through the same front speakers. I know that I can do this with a switch but I was wondering if it's possible to use the amplifier of the Marantz for L&R (ie. remove the jumpers) and still use the phonostage somehow. Is this possible?

If you want to use just the amps of the Marantz for the front speakers for both HT and stereo then the basics of it are fairly simple. Connect the front L & R outputs of the Emotiva to an unused pair of inputs (except not phono) on the Marantz, as Will S. mentioned. The speaker connections from the Emo amp to the speakers would be disconnected since the Marantz would be supplying the power.

When you want to play the stereo then just use the Marantz like normal.

When you want to use the HT you will have to select the appropriate input of the Marantz to pass the front speaker sound from the Emotiva. Additionally, because you will then have two volume controls in the path for HT, you need to re-run a level calibration and note/mark the position of the Marantz volume control that's necessary to achieve the equal calibration levels for HT. Then, any time you want to play the HT, you need to return the return the Marantz volume to that mark for proper channel levels, then use the volume on the Emotiva for adjusting the desired overall volume of the HT.

I recommend the second system approach for the Marantz and Thorens gear for it to really shine.

While a bit clumsy, the method eluded to first by Will S., with later elaboration by yours truly, is effectively a second system since the TT signal only goes through the Marantz same as if the Emo didn't exist.

If you want to use just the amps of the Marantz for the front speakers for both HT and stereo then the basics of it are fairly simple. Connect the front L & R outputs of the Emotiva to an unused pair of inputs (except not phono) on the Marantz, as Will S. mentioned. The speaker connections from the Emo amp to the speakers would be disconnected since the Marantz would be supplying the power.

When you want to play the stereo then just use the Marantz like normal.

When you want to use the HT you will have to select the appropriate input of the Marantz to pass the front speaker sound from the Emotiva. Additionally, because you will then have two volume controls in the path for HT, you need to re-run a level calibration and note/mark the position of the Marantz volume control that's necessary to achieve the equal calibration levels for HT. Then, any time you want to play the HT, you need to return the return the Marantz volume to that mark for proper channel levels, then use the volume on the Emotiva for adjusting the desired overall volume of the HT.

Ok. Thanks! This makes sense now. Any good how to's on balancing volume settings?

While a bit clumsy, the method eluded to first by Will S., with later elaboration by yours truly, is effectively a second system since the TT signal only goes through the Marantz same as if the Emo didn't exist.

I have and use a UMC-200 connected to a tape input on my ARC preamp. All my two channel sources are connected directly to the ARC SP-9. For stereo playback I don't bother powering up the UMC-200 and all the associated rear channel gear. All multichannel/HT sources are connected directly to the UMC-200. For HT playback I engage a tape input on my preamp, set the volume to a predetermined level and use the UMC and the rear channel amps and speakers. This type of setup gives me a dedicated two channel system that that easily converts to a full HT system.

Another question. Anyway to use the trigger on umc to automagically turn on the marantz?

If you can find a terminal strip that responds to a 12V trigger input yes. Otherwise I don't think so.

I've been mulling this over and I think I'm going to opt for the source switch (like a Russound AB-2.2 for example). Why you ask? It's mainly to keep the current operation the same for my family with the HT. I could trigger the 2230 with the UMC but that then means powering the whole system on when I spin vinyl. With the switch, I'll just link the thorens and 2230 and just power on the marantz when I want to play a record. This way, everything else stays the same for the spouse and kids when they watch TV.

Thanks for all the input, I have a better understanding now of several options for setting this up.

I've been mulling this over and I think I'm going to opt for the source switch (like a Russound AB-2.2 for example). Why you ask? It's mainly to keep the current operation the same for my family with the HT. I could trigger the 2230 with the UMC but that then means powering the whole system on when I spin vinyl. With the switch, I'll just link the thorens and 2230 and just power on the marantz when I want to play a record. This way, everything else stays the same for the spouse and kids when they watch TV.

Thanks for all the input, I have a better understanding now of several options for setting this up.

Not sure what you mean. To spin a record using the Marantz would be no involvement at all from the Emotiva gear...doesn't need to be turned on.

Yes, I understand that. However, if I have the Marantz running my L&R all the time (ie. during HT playback as well), I'd want to have it come on automatically with the UMC (through some sort of trigger mechanism/power strip). In which case, I'd have to turn on the UMC to turn on the marantz even in stereo playback (since the 2230 power button would be in the "on" position all the time). Unless I'm missing something obvious (which wouldn't be the first time ;)

Another option is to put a/b switch on the Marantz "main in" and select which preamp you use, Emotiva or Marantz. This is effectively like the "separate" button on the newer integrated amps.

Back
Top Bottom