GE - as in General Electric... I have a strange attraction to them, please share info:

biscuithead

Me likes the eargasm retroplasm...
Ok.
I have been collecting for some years now, and I have come across a few GE pieces. Mostly what I've seen are 1959-1964ish small consoles like this : upload_2017-4-20_8-38-1.png Of course, I am more interested in the pre-64 stuff.

Last month, at a swap-meet I saw an Integrated amplifier from about 1960 that had 6973s in it and a plastic face plate. I thought it strange, the dichotomy of the plastic, and the 6973s.
I am immensely interested in all things tube GE.
Please share any info, photos, schematics, links, etc. on anything that relates to General Electric Audio.
Thanks

My parents pecan early american GE console had the cool Vacu-Magic record changer that pulled the dust of the record. We weren't allowed to use it, but of course when the cat was away ...
This looks like the changer as best as I can remeber. (web grab photo)
img_3231.jpg

I have a GE console at home that I rescued from a junk store. It needs work, but it's complete. I'll try to shoot some pictures later.

My parents pecan early american GE console had the cool Vacu-Magic record changer that pulled the dust of the record. We weren't allowed to use it, but of course when the cat was away ...
img_3231.jpg

I have heard of this Vacu-matic... If my memory serves me, it was a VOM or Webcor, with a different arm.

GE Musical Hubcaps - early 50's GE A1-400 Coaxial drivers:
DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

Early 50’s GE A1-400 Coaxial Speakers - Bass Port Reflex corner speakers pair (either GE 406 or 460 cabinets. don't recall exactly):
DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0014.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

ScreenShot2012-10-02at90307PM.png

DSCN0641_zps89c8df74.jpg

And in their present position, as a dedicated corner mono system (only top speaker hooked up):
ink-spots_mono-rig_zpsa93ba539.jpg

This, ^^, will intro my next post. See that tonearm?
Early 50’s GE A1-500 9" radio broadcast tonearm. This is my mono console that is hooked up to the GE speaker.

Last edited:
I have those hubcaps as well, and a real nice A1-200 mono preamp. I would wager that all that starts with an A1-xxx is part of a designed and partnered system, back in the day.

Last edited:
I had an inkling that if I started this thread, I would just turn into a Green Biscuithead! Now I need to create a "follow" search on ebay and start soaking up GE treasures...

So did GE manufacture their own speakers ? Was it rebranded?
I am a big fan of the VRII , I have a couple of them... had no idea they even made a tone arm. Is the A1-500 the only one they made?
Those hub-cap-speakers are spectacular! I love the Meatball in the middle!

I Want!

img_3231.jpg
What is that chrome slot set into the cabinet in front of the tt? It looks like a 3" quarter slot... Is it just to position a record????

GE manufactured their own speakers, those A1-400 coaxials are superb sounding.

The chrome slot in the console is called the record saver, you turn the album cover over the slot while bowing the sides this puts the outer edge of the LP into the slot (it is felt lined), you then can pick up the lp
by the edges.

They call it a Baton. The proper name is the A1-500 Baton (but I sort of forgot to list that).
You asked if the 500 is the only model?
No. They also made a 12" model, the A1-501.

Oh, I meant the table...
But I like the name of the tonearm "baton"... as though the maestro is gently coaxing the melodies out of the record... with the Baton.

Back
Top Bottom