Alternate dust cover for PL-530

kapohoguy

I recently acquired a PL-530 with a trashed dust cover. Re-veneered the plinth and everything works great. I could buy a new dust cover on eBay but would prefer an original Pioneer. Finding a decent original dust cover however is a long shot. So I've been looking into what other Pioneer dust covers might fit. Info on this is hard to find but there is at least one AK thread about using PL-550/570 dust covers on the Pl-530. The 570 dust covers are a little bigger than the original 530s. Here's that thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-530-dust-cover-question.446747/#post-6449653

I also repair turntables for a local vintage record shop and have a Pioneer PL-A35 in my workshop right now. The dust cover on this turntable looked about the same size as the old one for my PL-530, the hinges were different, but everything else matched up. I swapped hinges and mounted the Pl-A35 dust cover on my PL-530. It fits perfectly, appears to be exactly the same size as the original. It is smoky while the original dust cover was clear. Check out the photos.
P4200046.JPG

Attachments

• P4200047.JPG
    P4200047.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 100
  • P4200048.JPG
    P4200048.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 95
  • P4200049.JPG
    P4200049.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 96
  • P4200050.JPG
    P4200050.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 97
Nice going with the lid. I don't mind the look of the smokey type either.
Hey, I have to ask. You mentioned that you have re veneered your TT.
If and when you decide to do another can you do a DIY instructional ?
I have a couple of turntables and some receivers that I wouldn't mind doing them sometime and would love to learn how to do it properly.
Good post btw :thumbsup:

Nice going with the lid. I don't mind the look of the smokey type either.

I have a couple of turntables and some receivers that I wouldn't mind doing them sometime and would love to learn how to do it properly.
Good post btw :thumbsup:[/QUOTE

There are already plenty of reveneering tutorials out there. See Neevo's link above or and search AK and You Tube for " turntable re-veneering". The real trick is the dissassembly of your TT to get unfettered access to the plinth. (Don't try to do it with any parts still attached). Dissassembly varies by model, so I'd suggest you get a service manual to guide you. And don't be afraid to try. Veneering isn't as difficult as I had feared. You will need a few basic tools--utility knife, clamps, veneer roller, veneer edge trimmer, etc. Post your results.

@Awesomeaudio I don't like to suggest mine is a great write up, but hopefully it gives plenty of pointers:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/can-an-amateur-upgrade-a-pl-518.720592/

Hey neevo,
Thanks for the link. I had a quick read and it's a very interesting post.
I'll have to have a good read a bit later.
I have a PL 530 and a 570 I'd like to do at some point.
I see that you're also is Sydney.
Where abouts ?
I'm also having a tough time choosing a veneer and where is the best place to purchase the appropriate veneer.
Have you worked with the sticky backed veneer or do you recommend to pva glue them ?
Man, I also love the rca upgrade too.
Very nice work :thumbsup:

Good to know it fits. I think those new replacement lids are very high quality and really lifts the cosmetics to a new level.
I'm going to get one for my 530 at some point. My 570 lid is fine, just needs a good cut and polish. That's easy.

Update: I canceled the eBay order for the PL-550/570 lid. Thankfully the guy still hadn't shipped after 2 days! I found a PL-A35 lid on eBay for 1/4 the price, the seller is local and will deliver to my house. Sweet. I'll post a picture later.

I found a Lloyds (CEC built) TT in the wild a few years ago and the lid fit perfectly on my Pioneer PL-500 (which I had bought lidless over 20 years ago..). The lid was not branded so it was a great match. The Lloyds had some broken plastic parts on the mechanisms underneath, which would have been practically impossible to replace, so since I wasn't really "trashing" a good table, it ended up as a win/win.. basically I paid about $15 for a near mint lid for my PL-500...

I wanna bump this because it helped me put the final touches on my own PL-530 restoration. Only thing I still have to do is get the sticker from the top of the cover that says "PL-A35" off and hopefully get the sticker from the underside that says "Pioneer" up to the top spot. Minor, minor, mind-numbingly minor stuff.

I wanna bump this because it helped me put the final touches on my own PL-530 restoration. Only thing I still have to do is get the sticker from the top of the cover that says "PL-A35" off and hopefully get the sticker from the underside that says "Pioneer" up to the top spot. Minor, minor, mind-numbingly minor stuff.

I doubt you'll ever get those stickers other than having reproduction ones made up.
I can't imagine the stickers were ever a "spare parts" option.
Take the sample to a graphics company and they should be able to remake them.

I took the pioneer sticker off a trashed dustcover and put it on over the PL-A35 sticker.

Reactions: DCH
I know how much you all love when an old thread is revived, so you can thank me later. :)

Do you think this means that PL A35 hinges will fit on my pl550 dustcover and plinth?

I know how much you all love when an old thread is revived, so you can thank me later. :)

Do you think this means that PL A35 hinges will fit on my pl550 dustcover and plinth?
I don't think so, no. The A35 hinges fit the A35 cover; I had to make new holes on the plinth to fit them. But I haven't tried using the PL-530 hinges I found on the 'bay with it; I'll look closely once the PL-530 cover I found at a reasonable (hah, no) price on the 'bay arrives, but I think you need to make sure the hinges match the cover.

It worked!

It’s not original, and I had to remount the turntable side of the hinges, but the lid side fit perfect.

I spent $25 on the hinges. There’s an original 550 pair on the bay for $150 right now.
I’d say I did alright.

Reactions: DCH
what are you guys doing to align cartridge in headshell? I found no alignment jig like many other TT have. no instructions in manuals. thanks

Back
Top Bottom