Tektronix Oscilloscope score - Model: TDS3054

Homer4beer

Hi guys,

I picked this up from a local auction site for $1500 Aus ($1130 US), Ex Australian Defense Force Equipment. I did take a big risk as I bought it site unseen. To be honest, I was fairly crapping myself and suffering buyers remorse when I stumbled across some web posts commenting on how good a unit they are but when they fail they are incredibly hard to fix.

So with much trepidation (and thoughts of "why did I put that last bid on") I picked it up.

With a regretful heart I signed the paperwork and popped the box into the car. When I got home I opened the box to discover the story behind it.

It appears that the unit was sent off to be serviced, then sent back to the defense force, where it sat in the box unopened for some reason. I can only imagine they did a clear out of boxes in a store and gave it to the auction site to sell for them. There are no leads or power cable but they are easily replaced (although I'm not sure where to source leads from.)

It still has the Department of Defense "Serviceable Technical Equipment" tag on it along with the technicians signature, date and location.

It powers up and self tests beautifully although I've yet to run a signal to it yet (no leads).

The dates marry up with the consignment labels on the box from the Dense Force, to the service agent, and then the return trip.

So all in all I'm pretty happy because I see these are selling for over double what I paid for it. :D

15518085_zpsgndsywbp.jpg

15518084_zpsdpta77vs.jpg

It is a BNC connector. This oscilloscope had the ability, when used with the correct probe to recognize the probe type.

While oscilloscope probes are available from 10 dollars on the net, this oscilloscope deserves the best that you can afford.

Of course if it only to be used for audio, then higher bandwidth probes might not be needed.

How is it going to be used?

It is a BNC connector. This oscilloscope had the ability, when used with the correct probe to recognize the probe type.

While oscilloscope probes are available from 10 dollars on the net, this oscilloscope deserves the best that you can afford.

Of course if it only to be used for audio, then higher bandwidth probes might not be needed.

How is it going to be used?

So it's a good machine? What probes would you suggest?

Cheers

I'm no expert, but that's the same scope that was used at the TV stations II used to work in. Or at least it looks a heck of a lot like them. If it's the one I'm thinking about then it is a very versatile piece of kit, able to do video, audio and a whole plethora of other things. Time spent learning how to squeeze the most out of it will pay great dividends if you're a do it yourself electronics hobbyist!

Can any of you guys recommend a probe set to match this oscilloscope?
These will work for hobbyist purposes for audio frequencies and non-critical RF: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131651284137 (No affiliation; just a happy user.)

The indicator pin should work on your TDS3054, but I can't guarantee that it will be positioned at the right number of degrees around the BNC connector to align with the appropriate sector on the 'scope, assuming that's a requirement. I use these probes with my older Tek 'scopes (a 475 and a pair of 7000 series mainframes) but they use a simple indicator ring that doesn't have different sectors.

There's a great forum on Yahoo Groups for Tek 'scopes at https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TekScopes/info

These will work for hobbyist purposes for audio frequencies and non-critical RF: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131651284137 (No affiliation; just a happy user.)

The indicator pin should work on your TDS3054, but I can't guarantee that it will be positioned at the right number of degrees around the BNC connector to align with the appropriate sector on the 'scope, assuming that's a requirement. I use these probes with my older Tek 'scopes (a 475 and a pair of 7000 series mainframes) but they use a simple indicator ring that doesn't have different sectors.

There's a great forum on Yahoo Groups for Tek 'scopes at https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TekScopes/info

Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately they don't ship to Australia which is very odd seeing the probes come from China.

Should I get 300MHz or 500MHz probes?

Should I get 300MHz or 500MHz probes?
Given the price of the probes (if you can get them in Australia), and the fact that a TDS3054 is a 500mhz 'scope, I'd go with the 500mhz probes.

However, I doubt these cheap probes are really capable of flat response to 500mhz. I haven't measured their response -- other than to determine that they actually did pass RF up to the bandwidth limits of my 475 (200mhz) based on the rise time of a square wave. They might only have flat response to (say) 50mhz rather than 500mhz, but for audio work they'll be fine. That's what I use them for, and they're certainly capable of passing enough RF to show if a circuit has gone into RF oscillation.

Given the price of the probes (if you can get them in Australia), and the fact that a TDS3054 is a 500mhz 'scope, I'd go with the 500mhz probes.

However, I doubt these cheap probes are really capable of flat response to 500mhz. I haven't measured their response -- other than to determine that they actually did pass RF up to the bandwidth limits of my 475 (200mhz) based on the rise time of a square wave. They might only have flat response to (say) 50mhz rather than 500mhz, but for audio work they'll be fine. That's what I use them for, and they're certainly capable of passing enough RF to show if a circuit has gone into RF oscillation.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your replies from before. Now I'm in a position to buy the probes the eBay link is dead. Would you mind posting the eBay probes again?

Many thanks,
:)

That Ebay ad again won't ship to Australia which is odd :(
You're not missing much. One of my probes -- bought through that ad -- broke yesterday. The BNC lock ring came off whilst locking it to my digital 'scope, and a wee resistor that was part of the indicator pin assembly fell out and rolled away, never to be seen again. @£$%!! :mad:

At some point I'll salvage a 1/16 watt resistor from something and fix it. For now, it has non-working indicator pin.

You're not missing much. One of my probes -- bought through that ad -- broke yesterday. The BNC lock ring came off whilst locking it to my digital 'scope, and a wee resistor that was part of the indicator pin assembly fell out and rolled away, never to be seen again. @£$%!! :mad:

At some point I'll salvage a 1/16 watt resistor from something and fix it. For now, it has non-working indicator pin.

Doh! That sux mate :(

Do you have any ebay links for cheaper probes/leads that will suit me?

Cheers :)

For audio-frequency audio work, any cheap probes will be fine, even without the indicator pin.

E.g., these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-P6100...robe-100MHz-For-Tektronix-HP-CK-/192038517505

Thanks Dave.

What do all the letter codes after the Tektronix word in the ad mean?

Your link says HP CK, lots Of different differentiation with 4 letter codes?

Others HP ones end in GT, ZX, WE, OK etc etc.

Then there are the Tektronix SG, T0, FR, SX etc etc.

They all look the same though with same specs cause all P6100?

Pretty confusing. Which to buy?

Cheers mate :)

Back
Top Bottom