Cool method of "seeing" sound waves in air

Always partial to a "non-newtonian fluid" demonstration myself.

(and if that doesn't hold your interest, Penny walks in about halfway in wearing a tank top ... penny penny penny ... )

It's amazing what can be done with sound waves. Read an article awhile back that "bounced" sound waves in another room that one couldn't see into and had it bounce back thus revealing a "picture" of the adjoining room. People, furniture etc. It worked around corners and so forth. Freaky stuff. For military use obviously.

I remember taking 3 drops of Pure LSD25 and falling a sleep. I awoke from my slumber in front of a pair of JBL Century 100's with the song Soul Love by Bowie playing and as the music filled the room I could see the musical notes floating in space.

In my younger days, I found certain mushrooms to be beneficial in helping to visualize sound waves emanating from my speakers...
I found LSD to be ALOT better and much more colerful. Piano and violen music was amazing.
Talk about detail!

Bruel & Kjaer and Norsonic (probably others) make "acoustic cameras" using a microphone array. They overlay the sound pressure image on a regular image. Pretty neat, but no doubt expensive.

One of the more interesting applications of Schlieren physics;
http://www.earlytelevision.org/yanczer_eidophor.html

This is where my brain blew up:
"The next step is to create a form of optical inhomogeneity in the oil film, point by point, that will diffract the light beam past the bars and through the slits of system G"

I think one key to understanding this is to always remember that light is both a particle and wave.

That's a really cool photography technique. I always wonder how people think of such things. Most likely during a different experiment but who knows.

I had my first introduction to Schlieren photography about 1973, probably 5th grade, and always found the techniques rather fascinating. But my scientific interests took a somewhat different turn, and I never undertook any personal experimentation. Budget constraints prohibited such things(translation: we were poor). Nevertheless, I have always been astounded by the things humans are capable of...

Back
Top Bottom