What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

In the past couple days we have had conversations ranging from musical taste to in depth discussions of mastering. What I find interesting is the amount of knowledge being shared in crisp, concise English. This is an art that is being lost. JMHO.

Now...my musical tastes generally run to musicians who display a certain level of musicianship, i.e. how well they know their instrument and how well they execute what they are getting across. Hence, you'll see me playing excellent guitarists, pianists, and certain other instrumentalists more than others. That being said, I still like Bread...and The Clash!
Edit: If anyone posts links to music I'm not familiar with, I generally will give it a listen if I have the time. Keep those links coming. I do want to expand my horizons, even at my age.

Journey ~ Frontiers

Jfrontiers.jpg

Desert Island Disks is a long-running BBC transmission, in which a notable person is asked which 8 recordings they would take with them if they were to be landed on a desert island with no hope of rescue. It was originally presented by Roy Plomley in 1942. Later presenters were Michael Parkinson, Sue Lawley and Kirsty Young.

More details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr

Bought this today simply because my wife HATES "Mack The Knife". Shrink wrap probably has to remain on this one. $5.98 on the sticker.
033.jpg

034.jpg

So I went back up to the shop today and searched that box again. The entire box was new this week and had come from one collection, so I figured I had a good chance of finding my correct vinyl. Sure enough there it was, Bobby Darin's Inside Out with my vinyl for The Bobby Darrin Story going Commando inside the jacket.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Which naturally gets me digging through the crates again, so these followed me home.
Gilels - Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra
Beethoven: The Complete Piano Concertos
006.jpg

Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
Itzhak Perlman and the London Philharmonic Orchestra
003.jpg

$7.00 in damage today. No complaints.

EDIT - Check out Mack The Knife on that Bobby Darrin Story label. Blitzstein! New moniker for our man On The Blitz.

Last edited:
^^^^Ditto on the Keaggy/King/Dente CD...

Re: Mastering as an evolving art over the past many decades--
It is amazing to see how much a mastering engineer can do to improve the sound of a mix (and how, conversely, they could possibly do irreparable damage).
I have had ME's do helpful tweaks that made a huge difference, and one destroy a mix that made me wish my name wasn't attached...

As to re-issues/re-masters, when originally analog releases first came out as CD's, there were issues, and an obvious difference between analog/vinyl and digital/CD. But over the years, the "Loudness Wars" developed as people abused the medium, creating a second wave of "re-masters" that were not really worth much unless all you wanted was LOUD. NOW, hopefully, as the "Loudness Wars" seem to have abated, this new generation of re-masters will be on-point, NOT overly-compressed/limited, brittle, harsh, or have a significant loss of dynamic range, etc. The funny thing about all this is that digital, technically, remains the superior format (on paper), but because it has not been properly implemented, vinyl still sounds better regardless.

Also-- Beware some new/newer vinyl releases! Just because it weighs 180 grams doesn't mean it will sound awesome. There are certain mix and mastering processes that apply exclusively to vinyl production. Many of those practices (kick, snare, and bass panned center; not using an overly-loud master) have been discarded or forgotten by the younger mix and mastering engineers, and often a vinyl run is pressed without the care needed to master properly (imagine a mix and master optimized for MP3's going straight to vinyl... You don't have to imagine, that's exactly what's happened in some cases). Buyer beware.

GJ

PS-- I love this graphic. It explains a lot with minimal words!

That's too general a statement. I have some vinyl that sounds terrible and I have some cd's that sound fantastic. Just because the sound is 'warmer' doesn't mean it's better. Vinyl, for the most part is a 'warm medium' while cd's sound, let's say, 'less warm.' Both sources each have their own strengths and weaknesses. The quality of the DAC used when playing cd's is just as important as the quality of the cartridge being used playing vinyl. There's always something better out there, but one would go crazy trying to find it. Better to spend valuable time looking for good music.

That's too general a statement. I have some vinyl that sounds terrible and I have some cd's that sound fantastic. Just because the sound is 'warmer' doesn't mean it's better. Vinyl, for the most part is a 'warm medium' while cd's sound, let's say, 'less warm.' Both sources each have their own strengths and weaknesses. The quality of the DAC used when playing cd's is just as important as the quality of the cartridge being used playing vinyl. There's always something better out there, but one would go crazy trying to find it. Better to spend valuable time looking for good music.

Damn straight, Mac-T.

I just thought of this; the vinyl vs cd debate is so similar to tubes vs solid state. It all comes down to personal taste, and sometimes convenience.

Back
Top Bottom