Equalizer connection question

Same as in a loop - from signal out.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The signal on the record out is the same as the signal on the input selector. That means the input of the Eq is connected to the output of same. You need a true tape or EPL loop or separable pre and power amp sections to connect any type of equalizer.

That means if you want to use "whatever" you are restricted to one source. If you have only one source that's fine. However, most people want an Eq, especially a Kube to work with all their sources. Which means only a true EPL or tape loop will work.

That means if you want to use "whatever" you are restricted to one source.
That's why I asked if the dac is his only source. If not, he can add a selector on the eq input which is much simpler and cheaper option than to look for a new amp, especially since he likes his current amp a lot.

Hi, I have (unlike many others) given up vinyl and the DAC is my only real source. Digital sources and music choice/freedom is more important for me. I also have the AA CD player but this has now been redundant for the last 18 months!

I now get the tape loop function but if it's not relevant for a single source and redirected connections, as above, then good with me until I want multi-sources and more options.

So, I am OK if I can do as proposed, DAC into EQ, and then EQ into Amp Line Input. That sounds really straightforward!

I'm also really interested in the 'selector switch option' but would need guiding for that one!

(At some point, I will probably get rid of both amp and cd and go vintage, but happy in the immediate term. )

Thanks so far everyone, really appreciated. And I'm learning!

Ok I get that! Thanks. Looks straightforward. But just to confirm:

I can feed my DAC source into the EQ before the Amp, and plug the EQ into any Amp line in now, and the future provision of a switch box into the EQ would enable me to do the same but have other sources, such as CD, without having a tape monitor function on the Amp.

Is that right?

Does this routing have any detrimental effects on signal processing/noise etc? (Assuming the EQ is working OK.)

Ok I get that! Thanks. Looks straightforward. But just to confirm:

I can feed my DAC source into the EQ before the Amp, and plug the EQ into any Amp line in now, and the future provision of a switch box into the EQ would enable me to do the same but have other sources, such as CD, without having a tape monitor function on the Amp.

Is that right?

Does this routing have any detrimental effects on signal processing/noise etc? (Assuming the EQ is working OK.)

There is a possibility you may have some S/N irregularities especially at lower volumes. The signal in a tape loop is generally consistent. This is why EQ's are generally inserted into a tape loop. However there will be no actual harm. Were I in your position I'd give it a try.

Thanks have done that. It all worked and I think more balanced/fuller sounding with EQ, but there is some intermittent crackle, so I have removed it from the line up for the mo and making do without it. Just feels slightly thin.

Just noticed that the metal casing/surround to the EQ din connector has come apart, so rattling about, and hoping this may be the problem. I'll replace this and power source and go from there. It must be the Kube as this is the only change and without it all is fine.

Thanks for your help - every day's a school day - I'm now in a much better place and should be able to sort something, one way or another.

If you've any thoughts on intermittent crackle it would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I have my eq between the amp and preamp to have the ability to eq many sources. Tape loop on my preamp is used for a headphone amp so even if I had only one source I couldn't use it anyway. I don't hear a lot floor noise with this setup. At least not enough to take the eq out.

Will have another go later today and get back.. sounds more like intermittent static... but will get more detail later, thanks.

OK, I managed to do a quick test, while others were dozing!

I reconnected all and, nothing for ten minutes or so. Playing at low volume (sneaky testing), and no noise when adjusting HF or LF. I thought it had magically disappeared, but my joy was soon quashed shortly after I started to hear a few intermitent cracks. I grabbed the recorder and voila - it reappeared :(

Luckily caught it on recording and have not taken it all back out of line. When playing without EQ no noise at all, so I think it is poorly.

:(((

Heard it but can't really tell. Is it with eq bypass on? Keep listening in different modes (eq on, eq bypass, eq out of chain) and see if it happens only in a specific one or all.

The Kube bypass function just routes the HF LF contour controls out of circuit to enable the user to compare adjustments and help set up with AB comparison. So don't think this will make any difference as unit still live.

Just been playing without Kube and all is well. I'm now stumped! Glad I can here and tried this before amp exchanges!!

I could do with an engineer!!

Back
Top Bottom