Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

............. Also snagged a Nakamichi OMS-2A with remote for $13. Needs a new loading belt, but otherwise veddy, veddy nice....

Good to hear your Nakamichi OMS-2A had the remote.:thumbsup:
I picked up an OMS-2A for less than half that ( belt timing off ) but without remote.

Given current Evil Bay prices for remotes, the Nakamichi remote was worth the price paid for both.

Remotes bundled with any audio item are very hard to find in the Chicago area.

Good to hear your Nakamichi OMS-2A had the remote.:thumbsup:
I picked up an OMS-2A for less than half that ( belt timing off ) but without remote.

Given current Evil Bay prices for remotes, the Nakamichi remote was worth the price paid for both.

Remotes bundled with any audio item are very hard to find in the Chicago area.

It was kind of screwy with the remote. I went back to look for it after I put the OMS in my cart, thinking maybe the remote is on a different shelf. Well, I found it bundled with a cheap Sony CD player and promptly taped to its proper home. Fate was smiling on me that time :)

I found a Yamaha HTR-5920 in a cardboard box on the night before garbage pickup day without a power cord and no top cover!
I added a power cord and it turned on.Sounds pretty good for what it is :thumbsup:
7iPyEGC.jpg
F0WeQuO.jpg
aeVJkl6.jpg
0Fql3Lz.jpg

3 R.jpg 4 R.jpg 1 R.jpg 2 R.jpg
Tripped across this console at Habitat Restore in Monona Wi today. Just posting in case someone is interested.
Garrard TT, Packard Bell amp/tuner/aiming device? Has a 'tested' sticker, so must be great. Sticker said $100.
No personal interest or involvement, was just dropping off donations....didn't even think to look at/for speakers!

It was kind of screwy with the remote. I went back to look for it after I put the OMS in my cart, thinking maybe the remote is on a different shelf. Well, I found it bundled with a cheap Sony CD player and promptly taped to its proper home. Fate was smiling on me that time :)

Oddly, I stopped at the SA store that sold me a functioning Akai GX 260D last November......hoping that lightning would strike twice in the same spot.
No luck, but I did see two VCRs with CD player remotes taped to 'em.. ( different brands than the VCRs, too! ) .:no::confused:

Went out a couple of times this week and picked up a few LPs with the best find being the John Fahey Yellow Princess album. The GW near my house had added about 50 to 60 new albums and many were good Rock titles like Cream and Vanilla Fudge. Unfortunately, all the vinyl was badly scratched.

2017-04-21 15.25.13.jpg

Picked up a Nakamichi CDC-4A from a local thrift store yesterday for $40, everything works well and it sounds good in my current system configuration. I couldn't find my SD card adapter to upload my own pictures so I had to borrow one from http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nakamichi-cdc-4a-pics.566346/.

Those sound really nice!

WARNING!!! ...you should take off the cover and check the caps. I had some cheap ass third tier caps in mine and you could see one of the ones in the power supply had electrolyte bubbling out of it. :(

1.jpg

Not a thrift, but I hit a local Junior League sale, and bought a junk box for a dollar. Among other things, it contained two iPods, three Canon digital cameras and one Nikon.

EDIT: After time charging, one iPod will not take a charge, and one Canon has a lens problem and will not operate. That leaves me with the Nikon, one iPod loaded with several autdiobooks, and two digital ELPH Canon cameras with two extra batteries, one extra SD card and four chargers. Another goodie I haven't tried is a Belkin FM transmitter meant to play the iPod thru an FM tuner/radio.

Last edited:
Went out a couple of times this week and picked up a few LPs with the best find being the John Fahey Yellow Princess album. The GW near my house had added about 50 to 60 new albums and many were good Rock titles like Cream and Vanilla Fudge. Unfortunately, all the vinyl was badly scratched.

View attachment 914063
That Fahey is a gem. You could easily argue that he was at his prime on that album. One of my favorites.

I found a mint condition Yamaha cr-820 receiver in a local thrift a couple years ago, but my best find was last summer. Me and the wife were at the local ReStore in town when we decided to go out to the "yard" where the stuff is unloaded. My wife spotted a large console sitting off to the side. We immediately saw that it was a mid century console that turned out to be a Barzilay entertainment console! It was in great condition too! So I proceeded to open it up, not expecting to find anything inside. To my surprise and delight was a McIntosh 1700 receiver and a Dual turntable both with their original owners manuals! Unfortunately the speakers were absent. Telling my wife not to move from the unit, I went over to an employee to ask how much for the unit. She thought for a moment, then said: Hows $20.00 sound? I said SURE!
The Mac is now in the bedroom system, looking and sounding great! I haven't done anything with the Dual as I have several good tables. The Barzilay is stored in the garage until we get into a bigger house this year sometime. Well, thats my best ever score!

Today I picked up a pair of Tannoy M15 speakers from the local church bargain ctr. for 3 bucks. They are missing the grills and one tweeter dome is pushed in and they have a few scuffs on the cabs but they work. Looking forward to putting them through their paces tomorrow. I just gave them a quick test with the radio today. They'll get a good workout tomorrow. ;)

ESS Tempest LS8's won with a bid of $27.99 on the shopgoodwill.com site. Stained the cabinets today. Will replace the passive woofers tomorrow, and order some foam for the regular woofers. Tweeters work, but one is louder than the other. Ohm readings were 9 on one and 11 on the other. 101_8721.JPG

Picked up a 1913 Conn Wurlitzer Special 3H trombone at Sally Ann today. Silver plated with gold wash 7 inch bell. Cleaning it up. Sweet tone and fun to play. It will never be a lamp.

The "tuba" was 20 bucks.

View attachment 914865 View attachment 914868

Gorgeous! I love the silver on those early 1900s horns. I've always wanted a Coronet about that age and almost picked up one at the Brassfest a long time ago but I was a poor college student and chickened out. One of these days I'm going to seek one out if it doesn't fall into my lap.

ESS Tempest LS8's won with a bid of $27.99 on the shopgoodwill.com site. Stained the cabinets today. Will replace the passive woofers tomorrow, and order some foam for the regular woofers. Tweeters work, but one is louder than the other. Ohm readings were 9 on one and 11 on the other.

Nice, I picked up a free pair a few years ago that had a pair of Pyramid woofers in them, I replaced them with a set of Daytons and they sound very nice. I'm using them in a spare bedroom with ESS Mini Monitors on a mostly Pioneer Quad system. all free recycling finds.

P3280277.jpg

Found a free set of Advent Prodigy Towers the other day in very nice condition, even the foam on the woofers is good (for now), Somehow they look better than the NOS pair I already have that I only unboxed a few years ago only to refoam then put them back in the box

Last edited:
Nice, I picked up a free pair a few years ago that had a pair of Pyramid woofers in them, I replaced them with a set of Daytons and they sound very nice. I'm using them in a spare bedroom with ESS Mini Monitors on a mostly Pioneer Quad system. all free recycling finds.

P3280277.jpg

Free Recycling Finds? Nice !!
I have an Onkyo ta 630D waiting for new belts...............gotta find time to clear enough wall space of books to set up a work bench for refurbishing my thrift store cassette decks. Finding it hard to sort out enough books for disposal, though.

Dont feel bad. They are hitting the crack pipe pretty hard at my local GW too. Check out the price of this Technics rack system. The speakers are separate!

uytp7ao.jpg

z6oayHK.jpg

Qo2kzGA.jpg

JfpL31l.jpg
I don't understand their pricing...but the vinyl is always $1.99.Happen tone there when a new cart of stuff came out,it has a stack of vinyl on it!!!...I got first pick!!! found Pink Floyd "The Wall" in very good shape...$1.99!!!...Checked it out online when I got home and found out it was a 1st issue release!!!...very happy with this GW find.

Back
Top Bottom