Is the home theater craze over or what?

As a bachelor who lives alone (I have regular female companionship) I usually only need a couple of slices at a time. For those occasions my trusty, seasoned and weathered cast Iron frying pan does a bang up job. The pre-cooked is only for when I'm grilling.

IME being on stage is quite possibly the worst place to hear what a band actually sounds like. The monitors at your feet do not do a very good job of reproducing what the sound of the band's sound is actually like. Those who use IEM's are usually at the mercy of whoever is doing the mixing for the PA system.

BTW I very much like multichannel music. I just want the sound to be what I would hear were I in the audience. Most classical multichannel recordings attempt to do just that.

I've had terrible luck cooking bacon in the oven. It goes from nice and crispy to burnt in the blink of an eye. And it makes a mess in your oven and you still have a pan to clean.

Cleanup is really pretty minimal in a pan on a flat stovetop. Just don't have it so hot that it spits everywhere.

For concerts with video, I want the surround sound to reflect what's on the screen. Most of the time, that's going to be an audience mix. OTOH, the Ernest Ranglin Blu-Ray isn't really a concert video. It's much more intimate recording and the sound reflects that. If there's no video, however, all bets are off. I really like 2L's surround recordings that put the listener inside the Trondheimsolistene.

I've had terrible luck cooking bacon in the oven. It goes from nice and crispy to burnt in the blink of an eye. And it makes a mess in your oven and you still have a pan to clean.

Cleanup is really pretty minimal in a pan on a flat stovetop. Just don't have it so hot that it spits everywhere.

True! It's just like a roux or caramel, you have to really watch it near the end or throw it away and start again. Especially if you are using thin bacon. At the risk of sounding like a hipster from Brooklyn, since I started curing/smoking pork belly at home, store bought although still good (I mean...c'mon..it's BACON) seems like when you watch a movie on a smartphone vs IMAX. It's that much better. But if you have to make thin bacon, I find that the microwave "baconwave" thing or one of the may variants does a really decent job.

If I'm making eggs and bacon for just me, I will also use a pan and fry the eggs up in the bacon drippings. The sheet pan/oven thing is only practical when you are making a LOT (at least one entire package) of bacon.

What's that mean?

If I'm making eggs and bacon for just me, I will also use a pan and fry the eggs up in the bacon drippings.

Hah. I had a GF once who was a "vegetarian lite" (she'd eat chicken, she just didn't like red meat) and she was also not a morning person. So Saturday mornings I'd be up before her surprisingly and would fry up some bacon and eggs. She'd rave about how my sunny side up eggs were so great, how did I get the little crispy bits at the edges, I didn't understand, I fried them up just like everyone I'd ever watched fry them.

One day she got up while I was just finishing the bacon and was horrified... apparently she'd never seen someone dump out half the bacon grease and then drop the eggs in the same skillet before... :)

I still say doing that with a cast iron skillet is the civilized way to make sunny side up eggs.

I'd say the real horror was the dumping out of 1/2 the grease! Nothing beats eggs "poached" in good ol' bacon grease! :)

As long as there are decent bacon-loving folks out there, Home Theater will never die.

And it's not like HT is a 90's thing either. People seem to think that 5.1 was the beginning of HT. I can tell you that in 1981 I watched "The Man in the Iron Mask" at a very nice library/theater with a drop down screen a little bit larger than the one I have now. With the exception being that it was a 16mm film projector and a MUCH fancier house than mine will ever be!

Here's why I feel how I do about music in 5.1 or better. I'm a bluegrass picker extraordinaire. At my last church, I was part of a very small, intimate musician setting that included me, a bass guitar, a piano, and sometimes an organ and drums. I like being in "the middle" of the music.

When I replayed Gypsy Woman last night by Rick Nelson in 5.1, it was very realistic to me as a musician. The background vocals were truly background-left rear channel. Lead guitar-right front channel. Rick's voice was right up front where it was supposed to be. I couldn't imagine NOT listening to it in anything else.

Here's why I feel how I do about music in 5.1 or better. I'm a bluegrass picker extraordinaire. At my last church, I was part of a very small, intimate musician setting that included me, a bass guitar, a piano, and sometimes an organ and drums. I like being in "the middle" of the music.

When I replayed Gypsy Woman last night by Rick Nelson in 5.1, it was very realistic to me as a musician. The background vocals were truly background-left rear channel. Lead guitar-right front channel. Rick's voice was right up front where it was supposed to be. I couldn't imagine NOT listening to it in anything else.

That's pretty cool! I wish I had enough talent to play anything more than chopsticks on a piano, but alas, the only thing I can play is a record.

Sometimes having someone who hasn't experienced a decent surround experience offer an opinion is interesting.
A friend of one of my son's , mid thirties , stopped over my home to visit with my son. My son lives out of state and was visiting . He hadn't been over in around 10 years, but he asked me how " the best stereo system he ever heard " was . I told him about a DVD Audio for Close to the Edge that I had. We went downstairs to listen not on my reference system, the one he alluded to , but a smaller , more modest system set up in a small room with Analog DVD Audio from an Oppo DVD player. First I played the re-mastered stereo version, and then the DVD Audio version. He couldn't believe the difference. He thought the DVD Audio version was incredible, and said he could listen to it all night long.

Personally, I first listened to Close to the Edge when the original vinyl was released. To hear it on DVD Audio, so clean, so precise, the individual instruments seem to take on a life of their own.

I'd say the real horror was the dumping out of 1/2 the grease! Nothing beats eggs "poached" in good ol' bacon grease! :)

As long as there are decent bacon-loving folks out there, Home Theater will never die.

And it's not like HT is a 90's thing either. People seem to think that 5.1 was the beginning of HT. I can tell you that in 1981 I watched "The Man in the Iron Mask" at a very nice library/theater with a drop down screen a little bit larger than the one I have now. With the exception being that it was a 16mm film projector and a MUCH fancier house than mine will ever be!

A Pioneer TVX-9500 TV audio tuner was an addition I made in 1978. So, I've had an "HT" since 1978. Since then most of my TV watching has been while using my system for TV audio. I connected a top load Beta VCR when they came out. Later I went with Beta/VHS HiFi with two VCR's. Of course there has been a substantial change in the TV. It's gone from a 19" CRT to a 50" LCD and the sound has gone from mono to DD 5.1.

Love my home theater setup for movies (including concert DVD's). And love my 2 channel setup for music. They both have a place.

Now the only way to cook bacon is in the microwave. 2 layers of paper towels on a plate, six strips of bacon, two more layers of towels and cook for 5 minutes. Comes out nice and crispy and no mess.

Now the only way to cook bacon is in the microwave. 2 layers of paper towels on a plate, six strips of bacon, two more layers of towels and cook for 5 minutes. Comes out nice and crispy and no mess.

No. Sorry, but no. Microwave bacon is a last resort.

The goal of cooking bacon is for the delicious flavor, not to make as little mess as possible. You get way better flavor cooking it slowly in a pan in a nice pool of its own grease.

I like two speakers for music listening and I like to cook my bacon on this.

A very old and seasoned caloric bacon griddle.
Also makes great pancakes. ;-)"

IMG_3003.JPG

Last edited:
Which is how I feel about most home theater setups...

But, then again, your opinion is about as valuable as anyone else's not interested in HT.

Not unlike my opinon, despite having a TT, tape deck, tuner, etc. where I couldn't care much less about them. Perhaps the big difference though is that I don't go into TT, tape deck, or tuner threads to express that they're overrated or immaterial to me.

Last edited:
But, then again, your opinion is about as valuable as anyone else's not interested in HT.

Not unlike my opinon, despite having a TT, tape deck, tuner, etc. where I couldn't care much less about them. Perhaps the big difference though is that I don't go into TT, tape deck, or tuner threads to express that they're overrated or immaterial to me.

:lurk::lurk:

Back
Top Bottom