Capacitor Class Action Lawsuit

LBPete

Rolling Along
Subscriber
Did anyone else get a post card from Capacitors Indirect Settlement? "Legal Notice, If you bought an electrolytic or film capacitors directly from certain distributors since 2002 you could get money from settlements totally approximately $15 million."

From what's on the internet a fairly large group of capacitor manufacturers including Panasonic and Nippon Chemi-con, engaged in price fixing and got caught.

A lot of us have bought electrolytic and film capacitors since 2002. Typically Class Action Lawsuits make a lot more money for the lawyers involved than the class members but it might be worth checking out. The information on this postcard is a little vague and in tiny print but it does refer you to a website: http://www.capacitorsindirectcase.com/

- Pete

Yup, got one yesterday. A while back I got one for memory chips. Having worked in computer repair I made out pretty good on that one.

I got three of those post cards last week. I buy most of mine from Mouser so I could probably find the receipts in my old emails or their web site.
Hummmmm

It twkes awhile, but these class action lawsuits do pay off. Remember the Levi lawsuit?

I knew this would be a topic of discussion when I got mine early in the week.

Does seem to be some price fixing when I gotta go 15 cents for a cap.

Yes I got the post card yesterday. The class action if it survives will probably bring me about $1.83. That's better then the 1 cent check I got from Wells Fargo bank for the interest on a savings account I closed. I told them to keep it but they couldn't.

There should be a limit (1??) to the number of class action lawsuits any one lawyer can participate in.

I got a post card, as did my wife, so they are clearly sending out a bunch of cards. I wonder if the cost of the mailings comes out of the lawyer's pot.

I can see this as another excuse to charge you more and give you less.
Lairs: I mean lawyers are the winners here.

There are now banner ads on AK advertising this issue and directing folks to the capacitor class action website.

- Pete

Sure, the lawyers always truly win vs the consumer in any class action lawsuit. But it will be interesting to know, if possible, what AKers actually get $$ amount when all is said and done. Especially for as much as Mouser and Digikey has been mentioned and used over the decades. I for one want every damn cent from Nichicon, Elna, Panasonic, United Chem Con and every one of the companies for the lytics and others I have 'overpaid' for in the past three decades alone.

When I first stared getting notices months ago, couldn't determine if you are automatically included as a plaintiff merely being a Mouser/Digikey consumer. Seems you are but the liability and audit trail lies within what purchase records Mouser/Digikey would keep, OR what shady under-the-table verbal agreements Mouser/Digikey had or has with the manufactures to only keep purchase histories and buying records for a short period of time to keep the liability and $$ payout amounts to the consumers as small as possible. Believe me, Mouser/Digikey, and a lot more have DIRECT personal connections to all the capacitor manufacturers and knew about possible 'leaks' from within each company decades ago also, and already had battle plans in place when/if any interested legal or consumer groups and country gathered enough data and had the balls to start a class action lawsuit(s) for price fixing.

Also, would be interesting to know what finally got "certain" attorneys to finally bring the class action lawsuit and what took them so long when the hidden price fixing plan was effect for so long already. These higher echelon attorneys, consumer groups, etc are NOT members of AK or members of other regular interest forums.

I knew this would be a topic of discussion when I got mine early in the week.

Does seem to be some price fixing when I gotta go 15 cents for a cap.

Price fixing, how rich! Just go and buy a concert ticket or ballgame. Or sneak something to eat or drink. Gas, groceries, milk, produce, meat, fish....... Ttl joke......

Sure, the lawyers always truly win vs the consumer in any class action lawsuit. . . .

Full disclosure: I'm a lawyer, but don't do class actions.

As I pointed out on the other thread on this topic, a class action suit such as this one is intended to deter manufacturers from price fixing, and that benefits consumers. Conspiring to keep capacitor prices artificially high means that we consumers pay more for anything we buy that has capacitors. Cars, TVs, computers, almost any consumer item that runs on electricity.

Price fixing is against the law. You can't rely on companies to self-police. You can't rely on the government to prosecute price fixers. Maybe you can come up with some other way to accomplish this.

Full disclosure: I'm a lawyer, but don't do class actions.

As I pointed out on the other thread on this topic, a class action suit such as this one is intended to deter manufacturers from price fixing, and that benefits consumers. Conspiring to keep capacitor prices artificially high means that we consumers pay more for anything we buy that has capacitors. Cars, TVs, computers, almost any consumer item that runs on electricity.

Price fixing is against the law. You can't rely on companies to self-police. You can't rely on the government to prosecute price fixers. Maybe you can come up with some other way to accomplish this.

Yes, but I played an "Agent" on television. Seriously though, I totally understand. And I know that in most of these cases, the fines come straight from Mario Puzo Always "take the canola".

index.php

Not sure what the cap reference is but it sure brings back memories. Do they still make toys with gun powder for kids?

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom