Finishing a 47 year old project and a mystery speaker gets a ride home

That is very interesting restorer john, thank you very much. That AS-303A kit looks identical to mine except that my kit has a nominal impedance of 16ohm. Maybe there was an earlier and a slightly later version.

Thanks for posting that fascinating Pioneer literature, John. I had no idea that the company offered kits.

GeeDeeEmm

I'm still twitchy over the inductor placement on those crossovers. Your values, your crossover points are going to all be off. The magnetic coupling that goes on when they're placed so close together ain't no joke. I'd be willing to be a batch of chocolate chip cookies that it would be an audible change.

Biggles you talked me into modifying the crossovers, and l am glad you did, thank you. I must say you were on to something, whilst not a huge difference, they certainly sound noticeably better and not fatiguing like they were before. I have completely finished them and have been listening to them for quiet a while and they are definitely smoother than before, no question.

Here are some pics, l will take some more in the daylight of the finished units.

Attachments

• P1030184.JPG
    P1030184.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 46
  • P1030185.JPG
    P1030185.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 42
You're awesome, you nailed it and great news. Score! What a nice way to start a Saturday. Feels good, huh?

Biggles

You're awesome, you nailed it and great news. Score! What a nice way to start a Saturday. Feels good, huh?

Biggles

Thank you, l think you are the awesome one, l was just simply following your terrific advice. Yes a great way to start the weekend and well worth the time spent :).
Here are some photos of the finished speakers. You may notice the rear edges on cabinets where the original owner stained one and not the other, don't know if this is going to bug me or not. yet.

P1030189.JPG P1030190.JPG P1030191.JPG P1030192.JPG P1030193.JPG P1030194.JPG P1030195.JPG P1030197.JPG P1030199.JPG P1030200.JPG

Hooboy, they look absolutely perfect! I wouldn't worry about the staining on the rear edges, it's part of their character and history. It gives a story to tell and creates a mystery as to what may or may not have happened. Nice progression on this project. So many get left by the wayside, or take months if not years to complete. A great way to start a Sunday.

The next time, or when you've got a few minutes of downtime, you're going to want to get back into 'em. Remove the zip ties around the driver wires and separate them. I can't remember exactly what the deal is, I believe it's an inductance issue. But having the wires tied together will audibly mess with your performance. And, I know you're going to scream, but the crossovers will have to be moved as well. The woofer's magnet is too close to the inductors. This will cause the same issues as having the inductors too close to each other. This changes may or may not make an audible difference right off the bat. But when you're in for some critical listening, it will cause grungy nuances. How do I know? I've been down the same road myself. So many picky little bits that can make anyone crazy. But when you get all this down, the next project will scream along at quite a happy pace.

Biggles

Thanks Biggles, next time l have them open l will separate those wires and move the inductors futher to the left, this did actually cross my mind when doing it but l thought they were far enough away from woofer magnets. Are you just referring to the large woofer inductor on the left or all three?

In regards to the speaker wires being bundled together could not the same be said for the speaker wires between amp and speakers themselves?

Thanks for all of your support and motivation with these, that link is also very interesting and full of great tips.

Cheers.

Hay,

First off, I apologize for not mentioned those points before you installed them. If I'd been there standing in front of them, we'd have been fine. I know exactly what it's like to finish something up, then realize that I did it all wrong and it's all got to be changed, again. It looks like only the large inductor would be the issue.

Yeah buddy. The link I posted talks about getting the speaker wires spaced 6" from each other. It also talks about speaker wires and interconnects. It even talks about getting them 6" off the floor. But for me that's simply not practical. Whether these changes will make an audible difference in your system, there's only one way to find out.

Biggles

No apologies needed, l should have realised, no biggy l will do it when l get some more time. Ahh yes l see all of that mentioned now in your link.

As they say, a system is only as good as it's weakest link l guess, whether we are talking about audio or any other system.
All the best and thanks again.

And some more photos.
Hello Oldsansui441, I have the same Pioneer set and operate the speaker as a closed system. What is important is the arrangement of the drivers on the baffle. If you are interested I can send pictures. Greetings from South Germany/Stuttgart, Gert

Hello Oldsansui441, I have the same Pioneer set and operate the speaker as a closed system. What is important is the arrangement of the drivers on the baffle. If you are interested I can send pictures. Greetings from South Germany/Stuttgart, Gert

Hi Gert, yeah l would really like to see your setup. How do they sound using the same cabinet volume but as acoustic suspension? Or have you mounted the drivers in smaller cabinets?

Keep the pix coming Old. You do beautiful work.

Hi djnagle, thank you for the kind words. l don't have these speakers anymore unfortunately, had to make room for others, you know how it goes. They were not speakers for all types of music but were very enjoyable for vocals and classical etc. They would have paired very nicely with a quality subwoofer looking back.

Sorry about the lack of photos last couple of years, l still work on projects but wish l found more time to put some on here.

Wow, they are beautiful, very nice work Gert. How is the bass response now they are sealed and what made you move away from the original design? I must admit most of my vintage speakers are acoustic suspension and l like them very much.

Hello, my cabinets I bought closed. Only the baffle has a carpenter CNC frame. The bass is very good and natural like a live concert. Greets Gert

Hi Gert, nice to hear yours sound great, they sure look the part. Sorry l cannot help you with the tweeter pot range or the manual as l sold these speakers atleast four years ago. The manual went to the new owner. Someone else on here may have a copy?

Back
Top Bottom