Mystery Science Theater 3000 "The Return" YES!!!!!!!

MST3K was one of the "shared interests" that brought my wife and I together. We watched the first new episode last night with our 3 and 5 year old. The kids sat through most of it, asking many questions, which kinda interupted the flow of the show for us... but overall, we give it two thumbs up!:thumbsup::thumbsup:!
My wife and I are thinking about trying to watch some of the old episodes so we can get back in touch with the flavor.... Can you imagine what an endeavor this is, bringing back a cult show? If you change anything, you risk everything. If you change nothing you risk everything. I say hooray for those that dive into these ventures, Hooray for the platforms that allow it, and Hooray for MST3K !

I think they did a great job and the updates to opening and cast are perfect. It's always great when you have a bunch of very talented fans working on a show or movie because they instinctively know what to do.

Me and my buddy back in my 20's had a drinking game.

We'd watch old crappy Kung Fu movies, and every time someone would call another "bastard", you had to drink. Apparently, they call each other that quite often, and is a powerful insult.

Then if someone stated they were about to "teach YOU a LESSON!" you had to finish your beer. Seems lesson-teaching is pretty common as well.

Then finally, if someone was told that ".......your KUNG FU is USELESS!" you had to slam an entire beer.

My liver has never recovered.

My Gung Fu is more powerful than yours! I KNOW YOUR STYLE!

The kids sat through most of it, asking many questions, which kinda interupted the flow of the show for us...

How are you supposed to concentrate on a show that features the crew kibbitzing about a movie while the kids are kibbitzing about the movie? <G>

Seems to me that was one hook they missed on the earlier versions, unless I missed it. How about an episode where the new guys do commentary on one of the original episodes? Maybe even one of the new crew doing one of the last crew doing one of the original crews movies? One with sub-titles even. <G>

How are you supposed to concentrate on a show that features the crew kibbitzing about a movie while the kids are kibbitzing about the movie? <G>

Seems to me that was one hook they missed on the earlier versions, unless I missed it. How about an episode where the new guys do commentary on one of the original episodes? Maybe even one of the new crew doing one of the last crew doing one of the original crews movies? One with sub-titles even. <G>

Dang... your blowing my Biscuithead!
Kibbitzing kids... when the whole family is ADD, distractions are necessary to keep order.

"In the wake of the tragedy, they built a stronger Grandma, with reinforced steel, and a sprinkler system.."

Lines like the one above are what make MST3K what it was back in the day. Hoping good things for the reboot.

MST3K was one of the "shared interests" that brought my wife and I together. We watched the first new episode last night with our 3 and 5 year old. The kids sat through most of it, asking many questions, which kinda interupted the flow of the show for us... but overall, we give it two thumbs up!:thumbsup::thumbsup:!
My wife and I are thinking about trying to watch some of the old episodes so we can get back in touch with the flavor.... Can you imagine what an endeavor this is, bringing back a cult show? If you change anything, you risk everything. If you change nothing you risk everything. I say hooray for those that dive into these ventures, Hooray for the platforms that allow it, and Hooray for MST3K !

My Girl Friend, and I also have a shared love of MST3000. We watched the The Return last night. We think it was good overall. Not sure about the floating robots though. Still gets a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

-Dave

My Girl Friend, and I also have a shared love of MST3000. We watched the The Return last night. We think it was good overall. Not sure about the floating robots though. Still gets a thumbs up. :thumbsup:

-Dave

"Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri... Clear and plain and coming through fine... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine... Good... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine... I agree with you, it's great to be fine... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Bomb... The *Bomb*, Dmitri... The *hydrogen* bomb!... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country... Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you *imagine* how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... They will *not* reach their targets for at least another hour... I am... I am positive, Dmitri... Listen, I've been all over this with your ambassador. It is not a trick... Well, I'll tell you".

"Fine, I can hear you now, Dmitri... Clear and plain and coming through fine... I'm coming through fine, too, eh?... Good, then... well, then, as you say, we're both coming through fine... Good... Well, it's good that you're fine and... and I'm fine... I agree with you, it's great to be fine... a-ha-ha-ha-ha... Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Bomb... The *Bomb*, Dmitri... The *hydrogen* bomb!... Well now, what happened is... ahm... one of our base commanders, he had a sort of... well, he went a little funny in the head... you know... just a little... funny. And, ah... he went and did a silly thing... Well, I'll tell you what he did. He ordered his planes... to attack your country... Ah... Well, let me finish, Dmitri... Let me finish, Dmitri... Well listen, how do you think I feel about it?... Can you *imagine* how I feel about it, Dmitri?... Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!... Not now, but anytime, Dmitri. I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it... They will *not* reach their targets for at least another hour... I am... I am positive, Dmitri... Listen, I've been all over this with your ambassador. It is not a trick... Well, I'll tell you".

I had a good laugh reading this. I don't want to derail this thread, but. . .

-Dave

I watched about a half hour of the new show, I didn't stop because I hate it, I just didn't have time to devote to it at the moment.

Good things; the Bot's haven't changed much, the Riffs were pretty good, Jonah seems likeable enough.

Bad things; Servo flying up to the screen, why? Jonahs beard, glasses and name set off Hipster warning bells, so far he hasn't acted like one but if he starts talking about his "Vinyls" I'm outta here :rflmao:Lastly, Felicia Day, who is supposed to be one of the bad guys, not feeling the badness, Pearl was believable as an evil villain, not getting that here, but maybe she'll grow into the part.

Overall a good effort and I'll definitely give it a chance.
Jonah Ray is a terrific comedy writer and co-presenter on the Nerdist podcast,so I doubt he has many hipster credentials.Felicia Day is the creator and star of The Guild webseries.She helped write 4 episodes of the new MST3000.Ive seen them both several times on @Midnight,and they both come up with great one-liners.

We watched the 2nd episode "Cry Wilderness" the other night. Not good IMO. Even the wise cracks were tiring. My GF thought that the movie was so bad it wasn't even worth doing a "MSTy" to it. So far they are batting .500.

-Dave

The new season is not doing much for me. I'm only 3 episodes in tho. It's not all bad, just seems like a lot of the humor is dumbed down. I don't like the new crow and tom voices. Gypsys voice isn't distinctive at all.

Even with all my complaining I'm glad the show is back. In time they could very well get it right. Plus interest in the show could possibly help us see some more proper releases of old episodes.

Back
Top Bottom