Today's INDIE Playlist

I think my favorite album of 2016 was Entranced Earth by The Myrrors. I have yet to post anything from it here. So I'll srart with the title track. I can't put my finger on why I like it so much, but I find myself needing to listen to it on a very reglar basis. Maybe I find it cathartic to listen to.

I like it too. It's got that drawn out drama like Explosions in the Sky and Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

Dead link rescue -

IndieLabels_zpss29l22b8.jpg

Labels With At Least Four Posts

Sounds like Beth Cosentino fronting LaLuz.

Dead link rescue -

Loopstick, Do you know a way to take the youtube links that you have compiled in your "indie_links.pdf" (thanks for doing that btw) and auto-play them consecutively? If I create a play list in youtube then I would have to enter the URLs separately one by one. I would like to just play them without having to click on the videos in this thread each time. This way I can listen to them (more than once) while I'm doing other things plus I think it would be awesome to listen to the posts on this thread as an auto-stream.

Loopstick, Do you know a way to take the youtube links that you have compiled in your "indie_links.pdf" (thanks for doing that btw) and auto-play them consecutively? If I create a play list in youtube then I would have to enter the URLs separately one by one. I would like to just play them without having to click on the videos in this thread each time. This way I can listen to them (more than once) while I'm doing other things plus I think it would be awesome to listen to the posts on this thread as an auto-stream.
I don't know right off hand but I think it's doable. I'll check into it some more tomorrow.

Warning: Can-con ahead. Just trying to keep the CRTC happy.
Also some fantastic riffage.

I've posted a lot of great Can-Con - today's Indie Can-Con is not your grandfather's Pop-Schmaltz Can-Con. :D I usually don't find out it's "Can-Con" till much later. Case in point - Said The Whale - I just found out they were Canadian a couple of days ago when restoring a dead link. My favorite college station is very plugged in to Canadian Indie because the kids go to concerts in Canada and there are a lot of Canadian students on campus (plus a decent Division I hockey team with players from ... you guessed it :D). Personal Favorite: Alvvays.

BTW - most of you guys have never heard the term Can-Con. It's totally relevant to the Indie Phenomenon. Back in the Classic Rock Era it was next-to-impossible for any fresh new bands or original ideas to get any airplay cuz of the monopolistic domination of production and distribution in the music industry by a small number of aging tone-deaf fat cats. It took a revolution and a generational shift to bring in great new bands like the B-52's and Echo & The Bunnymen.

It was similarly next to impossible for native Canadian talent to get airplay in the USA - and because 99% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border American media and artists were dominating what got heard in Canada and Canadian artists were basically locked out in their own country. So Canada imposed regulations mandating a certain percentage of Can-Con (Canadian Content) on Canadian airwaves. This benefited a mixed bag of artists that included actual Canadian staples, along with other bands with looser qualifications.

These days modern independent (Indie) production and distribution creates a level playing field so great bands from basically anywhere can break out. Looking at the latest pdf playlist just off the top of my head (not googling) I recognize these bands as being Canadian:

TOPS - Superstition Future
Elephant Stone - Manipulator | Official Lyric Video
Elephant Stone - Heavy Moon | Official Video
Elephant Stone - Setting Sun | Official Video
Elephant Stone - Wayward Son
Elephant Stone - Three Poisons
Elephant Stone - Knock You From Yr Mountain
Chad VanGaalen - Leaning On Bells
Chad Vangaalen - Burning Photographs
Rah Rah - Chip Off The Heart
Viet Cong - Continental Shelf
Arcade Fire - City With No Children
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Metric Help I'm Alive
Gold Guns Girls [Official Music Video] - METRIC
Alvvays - Adult Diversion
Alvvays - Archie, Marry Me
ALVVAYS "Atop a Cake" Live At Glastonbury 2015
The Luyas - Dream in Time
Tegan and Sara - Walking With A Ghost
Said The Whale 'I Love You'

So if you see a Canadian today be sure to say Thank You for all the great music.

I've never heard of Can-Con. Thanks Loopstick and QRanc. I want to add John K. Samson to that list.

BTW - most of you guys have never heard the term Can-Con. It's totally relevant to the Indie Phenomenon. Back in the Classic Rock Era it was next-to-impossible for any fresh new bands or original ideas to get any airplay cuz of the monopolistic domination of production and distribution in the music industry by a small number of aging tone-deaf fat cats. It took a revolution and a generational shift to bring in great new bands like the B-52's and Echo & The Bunnymen.

It was similarly next to impossible for native Canadian talent to get airplay in the USA - and because 99% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border American media and artists were dominating what got heard in Canada and Canadian artists were basically locked out in their own country. So Canada imposed regulations mandating a certain percentage of Can-Con (Canadian Content) on Canadian airwaves. This benefited a mixed bag of artists that included actual Canadian staples, along with other bands with looser qualifications.

These days modern independent (Indie) production and distribution creates a level playing field so great bands from basically anywhere can break out. Looking at the latest pdf playlist just off the top of my head (not googling) I recognize these bands as being Canadian:

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Metric Help I'm Alive
CUB nicolas bragg

So if you see a Canadian today be sure to say Thank You for all the great music.

I'd like to thank a Texan for explaining the Canadian broadcasting rules! Also, the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) is the regulatory body that sets and enforces standards and rules here.

Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Metric Help I'm Alive
CUB nicolas bragg

Thanks for the explanation, I was just about to ask.

We had similar regulations downunder plus we had a government owned youth radio station JJJ started in Sydney in 1975. The indie scene EXPLODED down here when it went national in the late 80's.

Back
Top Bottom